Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. The New Kickoff Rule

Absolutely terrible. I hate it so much. I guess they changed the rule for an emphasis on player safety, but come on. It's still a contact sport. There are major problems with this.

1. The most obvious. Everything is a touchback. Having a kicker like Cundiff is no longer a weapon. Maybe some guys can drill them out of the endzone while lesser kickers can only get them four or five yard deep in the endzone. Terrible and totally boring.

2. You cannot change field position in a tight game. Your special teams can put a sputtering offense in a better position to score but now everything is going to be at least a 50 yard drive to even give a team a realistic chance at kicking a field goal. It seems like it's making it extra hard for teams that are down to catch a spark and get back into the game.

3. They're basically taking away one of the most exciting plays in football. A kick return TD can change everything, and they're really fun to watch. Nobody in their right mind is going to run one out now.

They really screwed this one up. Does anyone like this new rule?

Re: The New Kickoff Rule

It's awful. They should realize this after the 2nd week of preseason games and just dump it.

I agree, though your second point I would almost think the opposite. You may as well forgo kickoffs and just put the ball on the 20 and start there. There will be no more stopping the return at the 10, or getting someone to break long returns. Not only are guys like Cundiff basically no longer weapons, but guys like Devon Hestor or Joshua Cribbs useless.

Blog Entries

The only positive is that Cundiff will probably SHATTER that touchback record.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    The only positive is that Cundiff will probably SHATTER that touchback record.
    Him and every other kicker in the league. That record might be broken a half dozen times by seasons end and every player will have to have an * next to their name in the record book.

It just sucks. Not only do we not see potential kick return for a score, but what about when the game is close and a big kick return could drastically help an offense not start at the usual 20 yard line and gain good field position?

This needs to be changed before the season starts.

Blog Entries

With this new rule...what's the point of even doing kick off's?

Might as well just start at the 20.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

8. Re: The New Kickoff Rule

Quote Originally Posted by zing! View Post
    It just sucks. Not only do we not see potential kick return for a score, but what about when the game is close and a big kick return could drastically help an offense not start at the usual 20 yard line and gain good field position?

This needs to be changed before the season starts.
    That's what I said. This rule completely takes the ability of a good kick returner to come in and help field position with a big return.

While I agree the rule sucks, the Chargers returned a kickoff 103 yards for a TD tonight.

10. Re: The New Kickoff Rule

SUCKS!!!

Blog Entries

I hate this rule with a terrible hatred!
    As has been said several times, they have made an exciting part of the game into a boring certainty that there will be a touchback and the opposing team will start at the 20. What a stupid rule! I hate it, hate it, hate it!

I like to see a rule on a Field Goal attempt. You can not call time out when the ball is in centers hand getting ready to snap it. Once ball is set in centers hand it goes.