Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The New Ricky Williams

OWINGS MILLS - Ricky Williams' dreadlocks have disappeared and his shaggy beard is gone, no longer wearing the look of an iconoclastic free spirit determined to live life on his own terms.

Outwardly, the Baltimore Ravens' newly-minted backup running back is now the picture of conformity.

Williams practically resembles a military recruit with his new clean-cut look defined by a conservative, short haircut and a fresh shave.

"It's just a mirror of my maturity," Williams said Tuesday afternoon following his first practice with the Ravens since signing a two-year contract with a maximum value of $4 million. "I think we all go through phases. At my heart, I'm a rebel. I think I have found more productive and mature ways to express my rebellion."

That's not the reputation Williams has carried for the majority of his enigmatic career when he was a controversial figure who critics labeled as a flake and a druggie.

Williams became known in NFL circles for being different, for failing multiple drug tests for marijuana with four violations of the NFL drug policy, for being suspended by the league, for spending one season playing in Canada and for briefly retiring.

At age 34, Williams appears to be a changed man in many ways. That doesn't mean he's transformed himself completely.

After once living in a tent in Australia during his brief retirement, Williams remains a philosophical person who dedicates himself to yoga, a holistic lifestyle and is a practicing vegetarian.

He's not your typical football player. He spends his free time journeying all over the world, including a recent trip to Peru.

"Football is how I put food on the table," Williams said. "It's my passion and it's what I love to do, but I think it's important to keep things in perspective. Traveling and seeing the road has helped me kind of keep balance in my life.

"It makes coming back to football that much more fun because I have that balance. As animals, as mammals, the instinct for us is to provide for our loved ones and our families. I think that's an instinct. When we can do something that we love for a job, it's just icing on the cake."

Now, the former Heisman Trophy winner is just looking to contribute and not be an object of preoccupation.

Williams chose the Ravens over the Detroit Lions primarily because he's never played in a Super Bowl and felt like Baltimore offered a better chance to contend. The Ravens have made three consecutive playoff appearances.

After rushing for 9,565 career rushing yards with 329 receptions for 2,523 yards and a total of 72 rushing and receiving touchdowns, Williams wants to finish out his career with a winner.

"Baltimore is an established organization with a lot of vets," said Williams, who led the NFL in rushing with 1,853 yards in 2002. "You don't like playing against them because of the way they play. I thought I would fit in well in this situation and be able to enjoy myself and possibly win a Super Bowl."

More from this Aaron Wilson report HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: The New Ricky Williams

Ricky wants to play and win. All you have to do is look how he played the game since Bill Parcells reached out to him 3 years ago. He's going to give this team 100% of whatever he has left and no nonsense.

He looks like Deion Sanders. In that pic, at least.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Ricky wants to play and win. All you have to do is look how he played the game since Bill Parcells reached out to him 3 years ago. He's going to give this team 100% of whatever he has left and no nonsense.
    Agreed. The "new" Ricky Williams is really "old" news....he changed his way 3-4 years ago.

If he still has some gas in his tank, this is a very solid pick-up.

5. Re: The New Ricky Williams

That's kind of nice he'll get to 10,000 yards as a Raven.

I don't remember him playing in Canada.

Blog Entries

Just a man who did things outside the box. I can identify, I did some dumb stuff when I was younger, but as I got older and got to see the world a bit, my rebel nature changed.

I'm glad we got Ricky.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Cap'n--
    "I did some dumb stuff when I was younger..."

You're pulling our leg(s)...right??? ;)

As far as Williams, I have to say his quotes in Tony's post sound pretty intellectual in addition to mature, which is kind of a refreshing change from a lot of what we read and hear (from a lot of players). I posted elsewhere that I hope he remains out of trouble, uninjured and able to be productive. Sounds like there're signs pointing to the first of three, let's hope that's true and he can then deliver with the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    Agreed. The "new" Ricky Williams is really "old" news....he changed his way 3-4 years ago.

If he still has some gas in his tank, this is a very solid pick-up.
    2010:

McGahee: 100 carries, 380 yards, 5 TDs (3.8 yds/carry)
    RWilliams: 159 carries, 673 yards, 2 TDs (4.2 yds/carry)

I am diggin' this cat!! I hope he finds great success here with the Ravens... and if by some chance I get Ray Rice in FFB I hope he isnt a TD vulture!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    prepared to <spit> and <swear> at any minute.. blame it on PMS!

NEW AVATAR! I GOT A NEW AVATAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Nother Suggs View Post
    That's kind of nice he'll get to 10,000 yards as a Raven.

I don't remember him playing in Canada.
    I watched a few of those Argonaut games Ricky played on Comcast. I thought only having 3 downs kinda cut out where Ricky is best. Mostly, CFL defensive players were so geeked to get a tackle on Ricky Williams, they mainly seemed to use him as a decoy. Even so, he seemed really, really game to do what the team needed. I remember thinking he should have gotten an Emmy for the way he was tucking his head and selling some of those play-actions.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    2010:

Hmmm.. I would've never thought this.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    2010:

Personally I think Ricky is an upgrade. I also like the attitude he brings, this is a guy who clearly loves playing the game still and seems comfortable in that #2 back role. Wow had you asked me years ago if I would ever say that about Ricky Williams I would have bet the house the answer would have been no.