Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Camp Notes Part I from Weds, Aug 3

OFFENSE

Joe Flacco had a rough day on Wednesday seemingly rattled by Chuck Pagano’s aggressive blitz packages. The Ravens’ QB was handicapped in part by a few things: 1) A patchwork offensive line missing starters Birk, Grubbs & Yanda; 2) A less than impressive trio of receivers running with the first team (Boldin, Justin Harper & Brandon Jones); and the fact that the offense was practicing pass plays almost exclusively and Pagano’s unit knew it.

That said, Flacco still struggled during 6 on 7 drills (as opposed to the more common 7 on 7), unable to find open receivers and holding on to the ball too long.

Tyrod Taylor had a decent day but clearly not the practice that Cam Cameron has been selling to the public. Cameron lobbied for Taylor on draft day so his enthusiasm needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Also, he could be selling Taylor to the media so the Ravens don't appear so desperate for a veteran backup. Don't buy the hype.

Anquan Boldin seems to be relishing his role as Flacco’s newest favorite target. During one sequence Flacco hit Boldin on three consecutive passes for a combined 36 yards, picking on Domonique Foxworth each time. Tandon Doss is ahead of fellow draft classmate Torrey Smith for the moment. Smith has been slowed by some mild hamstring issues but the former Terp lacks Doss’ polish and route running skills. It looks like Joe Flacco has an eye for talent. You may recall that Flacco endorsed Doss after looking at film of the former Hoosier prior to the draft.

Don’t be too quick to pencil in Ed Dickson as the starter at tight end. Dennis Pitta without a doubt will compete for the job and is hardly conceding it to the speedy former Duck. One Ravens source shared that he thought Pitta has been outplaying Dickson. The same source cautioned however that blocking assignments will be a work in progress for both, just as they were for Heap during his developmental years. The highlight of the day was a 79 yard connection between Flacco and Dickson on a back shoulder throw that went for a score.

For the balance of the notes click HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Camp Notes Part I from Weds, Aug 3

Really happy to hear Doss is working out. Hopefully this will signal to the coaching staff that Flacco knows what he wants in an offense, and he'll be able to take more control of certain situations.

Also, how's Foxworth looking?

Thanks, Tony.

A couple questions about the WRs.

How fast does Doss look in practice?

Which of this crop of WRs - not counting Doss & T. Smith - look like they might be able to compete on STs? In other words, which ones don't look like Clarence Moore?
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Tony,

How does Reid look in comparison to how Oher looked on the right side his rookie year?

Definitely hope some of the young guys step up this year. Who will be the next breakout player?
    Founder of The J. Peterman Company - JPeterman.com - Follow me on Twitter

Working on some additional notes that I think you all will enjoy and then I've got to head out to practice. Fire away with your questions and I'll answer all of them to the best of my abilities.

Thanks to all!
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

The offense is going to struggle with 3 starting linemen out, but Doss sounds like the real deal, I have a feeling pitta is gonna beat dicksen out for the starting role.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    The offense is going to struggle with 3 starting linemen out, but Doss sounds like the real deal, I have a feeling pitta is gonna beat dicksen out for the starting role.
    I think we will be seeing some 2 TE sets. I think a lot of it will depend on who is the better blocker. Pitta has great hands. Dickson has better speed and vertical ability. So, 2 different weapons at Cam's disposal (lol). Maybe Dickson can be the end-around/reverse guy this year.
    Founder of The J. Peterman Company - JPeterman.com - Follow me on Twitter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peterman View Post
    I think we will be seeing some 2 TE sets. I think a lot of it will depend on who is the better blocker. Pitta has great hands. Dickson has better speed and vertical ability. So, 2 different weapons at Cam's disposal (lol). Maybe Dickson can be the end-around/reverse guy this year.
    I LOL at that too..that is what scare me the most this season than anything else.

Been hearing a bit about LaQuan Williams, if he can contribute on special teams and the coaches think he can offer more, I think Marcus Smith's roster spot could be there for the taking

Maryland too :)
    Not that it matters of course but a bonus

Glad to hear about Pitta. When he was drafted I commented that he could turn out to be the biggest contributor in that class, maybe not unlike Yanda and Le'Ron in the 2007 draft. Watching him play at BYU was impressive.

Funny that Flacco gets credit for Doss, and Cam could get dinked for over-rating Tyrod. When the Ravens signed two former IU receivers in Doss and Hardy, at the time I couldn't help wonder if Cam influenced it and overvalued them, given he was a one-time head coach at Indiana.

What's up with Hardy? I heard he was running with the ones, and now it appears not? He has a history of injuries. Is he back on the trainer's table again?

Tony, we've heard the coaches raving about Jah Reid, and the media parrotting it. But I wonder what your impressions have been? Still can't believe they will talk themselves into starting the year with him as their first option. I've heard raves from day one, but then a week into camp, I heard Cam say Reid was much improved. Which is it? Has he been a stud from day one, or is he a work in progress?

Paul Kruger's name always moves the meter. It will be interesting to see if his play on the practice field will translate to the games.

Glad to hear Art Jones has made strides as well. I am partail to him because of his SU roots and his brother..

Thanks TL. Great stuff and please keep it coming!