Random draft question

I have always wondered why we don't do the following.

Take a 5th round pick in the current draft (on draft day) and trade it for a 4 in next years draft.

Next year take that 4 and trade it for a 3.

The following year you take the 3 and trade it for a 2 in next years draft.

The following year you trade that 2 for a 1 in next years draft.

The following year you trade the 1 for a 2 current year and a one the next year. Qbs you keep doing that. You basically end up with a free 2 every year.

The patriots for the most part do this.

Re: Random draft question

There are really only 2 teams that do this regularly...the Pats and the Eagles.

I wish they would as well, and they did do it back in 99 and as a result, we got Jamal.

Doesn't seem to be their MO though...they like to count on comp picks and like to make all their picks during the draft and aren't too keen on trading picks away for a future year.

Blog Entries

They value their picks in a different way. Some teams stockpile, but Ozzie doesn't take for granted the idea that there will be a good group of players at a position that he is interested in. Had they been doing that, they would have had a ton of high picks in the previous draft, which was very weak. There is not always a guarantee that you can continuously move those picks.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

you can have all the picks in the world, if those picks arent on the field they can't help you.

I'm not asking for a bunch of picks, I'm saying our fo is great with first roind picks. Are you saying you would rather have a dan Cody or dean Edwards compared to a haloti ngata or a suggs

Dwan

it was more of a shot at NE than the idea of trading future picks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rave.n.y. View Post
    you can have all the picks in the world, if those picks arent on the field they can't help you.
    +1, man do I agree. Some are dying to resign Heap (not that it's a bad idea) because Dickson and Pitta aren't ready. Of course they aren't, they hardly ever saw the field in 2010. How are they supposed to progress? Now there's a clamor for a veteran WR (maybe not a bad idea either), when we just invested a #2 (T. Smith) and a #4 (Doss) plus have D. Reed #5 from 2010. Only control these guys for 4 years, so why waste the first two on the bench? ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    +1, man do I agree. Some are dying to resign Heap (not that it's a bad idea) because Dickson and Pitta aren't ready. Of course they aren't, they hardly ever saw the field in 2010. How are they supposed to progress? Now there's a clamor for a veteran WR (maybe not a bad idea either), when we just invested a #2 (T. Smith) and a #4 (Doss) plus have D. Reed #5 from 2010. Only control these guys for 4 years, so why waste the first two on the bench? ... Bc
    Exactly. Why draft players that aren't going to play? At some point the brass needs to trust in their own draft strategy - the one that exists past round one.