Thread: Ray Rice

Ray Rice

How lucky are we and the Ravens that Ray Rice isn't holding out? Chris Johnson, Frank Gore and Matt Forte are in similar situations (late 1st/ 2nd round draft picks who make up a significant chunk of the offense) and are set to hold out. Rice is set to make $800k this year, half of the freaking punter! Ray Rice could not be more like-able and hopefully the front office rewards him with a solid extension once this free agency craziness is done.

Re: Ray Rice

respect

Blog Entries

Same thing with Ngata. A lot of players in his situation last year held out.

$30,000 a day is nothing to sneeze at!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MachineJerk View Post
    $30,000 a day is nothing to sneeze at!
    When has that ever forced a holdout to come to camp?

This goes back to that same doubletalk BS from teams.

The Titans expect Chris Johnson to honor his contract the day after they cut Vince Young?

The 49ers expect Frank Gore to honor his contract the day after they cut Nate Clements?

The Eagles expect Desean Jackson to honor his contract the day after they cut Leonard Weaver?

It takes class on BOTH sides to make situations work. Ray Rice is all class by all accounts. Our FO is about as classy as an NFL FO can possibly be, which is to say, generally classy with the occasional exception.

That combines to form a relationship where Ray plays for less than he's worth this year to honor his deal and then gets paid elite money next year.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    When has that ever forced a holdout to come to camp?

that's more than double the old figure right? - I agree it won't stop the really big money guys from holding out, but a guy making 800k (even if he's worth much more) might um...pause a bit.

not that Ray isn't a standup up guy and may be doing the right thing, but with his future earning potential I hope he does not get hurt.

Blog Entries

We as Ravens fans are very fortunate. There is absolutely no excuse for Tennessee to keep Chris Johnson's rookie contract the same after that man ran for over 2000 yards for them.

There is no excuse for Frank Gore to not get an extension, when he has been San Fransisco's offense for years. He has sacrificed his body with his physical play, with no passing game to support him, but San Fransisco is going to be leery of giving him a raise, because he is injury prone.

I'm not even going to get into DeSean Jackson.

At least, give these guys a decent raise, before getting into the extension.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Ray Rice is the ultimate team player. On the field he plays very confident and has swagger that us Ravens fans love. He is tough, doesn't back done and will jump in to defend a teammate any time it's necessary.

Every time I've heard him speak after practice, games, win, lose or draw he is always taking credit away from himself and making it a collective team thing. Also he has an upbeat attitude, with a positive outlook.

I think Rice deserves more then he makes, compared to some. I think he is in camp and not holding out for one major reason and that is for the team. As Raven fans, I don't think we could ask for anything any better out of him.

It all comes down to the organization. Rice and Ngata have seen the Ravens do right by their players, and I'm sure all the players trust Ozzie when he tells them they are going to get paid. The Ravens tend to keep their word.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Same thing with Ngata. A lot of players in his situation last year held out.
    Gota, I have to hand it to you. When Ray Rice was a senior at Rutgers (back when almost no one had ever heard of him), a question was posed on Sunspot as to what five players from the upcoming draft class would make the HOF. Your first pick was Ray Rice. Of course, posters jumped on you, even though most had never heard much about him. I followed Rutgers very closely since I have family in Jersey and found the choice very compelling. No, Ray Rice may not make the HOF, but he's a damn good back and I applaud you for seeing that early in his career. Good call!

Quote Originally Posted by strez View Post
    Gota, I have to hand it to you. When Ray Rice was a senior at Rutgers (back when almost no one had ever heard of him), a question was posed on Sunspot as to what five players from the upcoming draft class would make the HOF. Your first pick was Ray Rice. Of course, posters jumped on you, even though most had never heard much about him. I followed Rutgers very closely since I have family in Jersey and found the choice very compelling. No, Ray Rice may not make the HOF, but he's a damn good back and I applaud you for seeing that early in his career. Good call!
    Minor note, Ray Rice left Rutgers after his junior year.