Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Why aren't the Ravens active? Maybe they are just broke!

Why are the Ravens slow to do anything? Try this, they are a little less than $8M under the cap and that is BEFORE Yanda's new deal. Now granted the releases and signings haven’t officially taken place but that’s the snapshot of the Ravens cap as provided by our own Brian McFarland.

Now you know why the 4 vets had 2 b released...they desperately needed the cap space 4 Yanda.

Where was the hiccup? That $1.8M over that John Clayton reported last week, did not include the RFA tenders - those 8 tenders totaled around $10M. Then the minimum salaries went up by $55K per player for about 3/4 of the roster.

Not all of those add into the cap because of the rule of 51, but that also took away another $1.5M or so.

Until the Ravens can sign Ngata to a long-term deal or restructure other contracts, they appear to be handcuffed...

At the end of the day, maybe Ozzie and the Ravens are not as much patient as they are broke.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: Why aren't the Ravens active? Maybe they are just broke!

You explained it better than I could.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

3. Re: Why aren't the Ravens active? Maybe they are just broke!

I wouldn't classify this as NOT good news!

What big deal has gone down so far? Simeon Rice to a team with no QB.....?
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    What big deal has gone down so far? Simeon Rice to a team with no QB.....?
    lol you mean sidney?

Based on that, with all the cuts and Yanda's deal, they should have approximately $10M in cap space to work with after all the tenders and everything else. Once they sign Ngata, that number will increase. That's roughly what I was thinking anyway. I wouldn't say they're necessarily broke, especially when they can go another $3M over the cap if they choose to.

Blog Entries

John Clayton doesn't know squat about the salary cap numbers. Ravor posted he didn't trust Clayton's numbers and Ravor knows more about the cap than anyone.

Right now there technically isn't even a cap. Teams have to be under by August 4th. That means the Ravens and any other team can sign now and cut later. It's not the cap that is holding Ozzie back. It's the market. Ozzie lives by right player/right price and he's just not seeing that right now. Obviously the Patriots, Jets, Giants and other well run teams feel the same way because they aren't making tons of moves either.

Don't blame inactivity on the cap. Blame it on the market.

Blog Entries

They have enough money to sign some role player type FAs, but not enough to make a major splash.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

So, if the Ravens go and sign Umenyiora, they would have to cut some guys by the 4th. Who, other than Dominique Foxworth, would they cut?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    John Clayton doesn't know squat about the salary cap numbers. Ravor posted he didn't trust Clayton's numbers and Ravor knows more about the cap than anyone.

Right now there technically isn't even a cap. Teams have to be under by August 4th. That means the Ravens and any other team can sign now and cut later. It's not the cap that is holding Ozzie back. It's the market. Ozzie lives by right player/right price and he's just not seeing that right now. Obviously the Patriots, Jets, Giants and other well run teams feel the same way because they aren't making tons of moves either.

Don't blame inactivity on the cap. Blame it on the market.
    Preach Gota Preach!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    So, if the Ravens go and sign Umenyiora, they would have to cut some guys by the 4th. Who, other than Dominique Foxworth, would they cut?
    Or they would have to come to an agreement for an extension with Ngata by the 4th which you would have to think is very likely.

Osi is a real longshot to begin with. The Giants don't have to trade him. Plus the same right player/right price rule would apply for him too. I have no idea if Ozzie even likes him.

I just don't want fans to think the Ravens are doing a poor job because they only resigned Yanda. It's very early in a crazy process and I have faith that Ozzie will improve this team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Or they would have to come to an agreement for an extension with Ngata by the 4th which you would have to think is very likely.
    Which is essentially the comment I originally made, that if Ngata didn't get extended, there would not be a major splash. The only difference is that I said 'until', because I would not expect Ozzie to assume that Ngata's deal would automatically get done after bringing in Umenyiora.