Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Not Too Sure We Will See Heap Back in a Ravens Uniform

A thought just occurred to me in my Grand Marnier clouded brain.

The league year does not start until August 4. As it stands right now, teams do not need to be under cap until then. Meaning, teams can negotiate and come to an agreement with FA players without making cap room *before* August 4. As long as they are under the cap come 8/4, it's all good in the hood.

Now couple that with the haste in cutting Heap (and to a lesser extent, Mason and Gregg). I have to now think this was more of a message to the FA players than it was making cap room, basically saying "Hey look, it's not personal but we mean business. If you want to be here, you need to be willing to restructure".

To that end, I think we may have very well have seen the end of Heap in Baltimore. He is going to get suitors for his skills (Saints, IMO) that would be willing to pay more than the Ravens.

It kills me to think we've seen the last of Heap but I just don't see a scenario where he comes back -- unless he does the one in a thousand home team discount.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 07-26-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Re: Not Too Sure We Will See Heap Back in a Ravens Uniform

I hate to think it, but I feel the same way. I hope whoever he goes to, he gets a warm welcome when he comes back to Baltimore.

Sad I may never get to yell Heap again.

I disagree...I don't think that is how the Ravens would sent that "message". Especially not to Ravens that have been valuable and respected members of the team.

I still believe that Oz is manuvering to brign at least one of them back on a cap-friendly deal. Mason is even on record as being willing to come back. Gregg is just gone due to his recent lack of effectiveness.

Has there been any quotes from Heap at all? If not, I doubt he is worried about this situation because a wink and a nod deal is already in place.

Blog Entries

If he were back in Baltimore on the opposite sideline I would still yell Heappp! As long as he is not beating Ray over the middle.

I...am not confident in his return. 38% and holding steady.

Damn shame...shoulda retired a Raven and went straight into the ROH.

to me it seems like if the Ravens are sending a message to these players it's "we respect you & want to get you on the market as soon as possible as a favor in order to give you the best chance to get a good deal elsewhere"

...or at least the classic Oz "see what you can get, then come talk to me" move

Quote Originally Posted by ScoNo View Post
    If he were back in Baltimore on the opposite sideline I would still yell Heappp! As long as he is not beating Ray over the middle.
    You arent alone. I would too.

I think you're right on, Houston, and not just because you're drinking Grand Marnier in the middle of the day.

We've been lucky to get to watch him for as long as we have. HoF? No. RoH? Hell yeah.

But I think he's probably gone, as you say.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Not currently imbibing.

More so years of (ab)use.

I don't think it was any hidden message to the cut players at all. The Ravens called them to give them the message. The cuts were made to clear space and allow maneuverability in the crazy short market. If Heap and the others can get better deals elsewhere, that's a good thing for them. If not, they can sign at a reduced rate and play in Baltimore. Those are far better options than having the front office sit for a week and then cut them.

I think it was done early so that they can see what else is available in free agency. Obviously they know Mason and Heap can still play and they are taking a calculated risk letting them hit the open market but i dont believe they care. I think Oz and co. have analyzed the market and feel like Mason at a lower price could be a nice fall back if they dont get a coveted guy at a good price. I also think they are comfortable enough with Dickson and Pitta but we shall see.