Thread: Steelers cuts?

Steelers cuts?

Anyone familiar with the Steelers cap situation? I saw from the Clayton article that they were around $10 million over, but had Woodley as their franchise player. Anyone know who could be their cap casualties?

Blog Entries

Re: Steelers cuts?

James Walker has thrown Flozell Adams, Randel El, and Aaron Smith out there as possibilities. The chances of them keeping Ike Taylor are a little slim though. They've also got some contracts that they can restructure or extend.

Blog Entries

I'm curious to see if they are able to keep Farrior.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm curious to see if they are able to keep Farrior.
    I would be shocked if Farrior wasn't on the team. At this point, I think it will be a miracle to see Ike back in the black and gold, but I can see Farrior still being there. Hope I'm right. They have several players they can cut/restructure to help the cap figure.

Blog Entries

Ok it's back and yellow. That is not gold, it's yellow. But I agree I don't see Ike back in a steelers uni

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal View Post
    I would be shocked if Farrior wasn't on the team. At this point, I think it will be a miracle to see Ike back in the black and gold, but I can see Farrior still being there. Hope I'm right. They have several players they can cut/restructure to help the cap figure.
    Farrior is so good for you guys that it would be a shame to lose him. I can understand Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton who have injury issues but Farrior is a rock. It's like a Ray Lewis situation. As long as these guys continue to produce at a high level you can't worry about the age.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Farrior is so good for you guys that it would be a shame to lose him. I can understand Aaron Smith and Casey Hampton who have injury issues but Farrior is a rock. It's like a Ray Lewis situation. As long as these guys continue to produce at a high level you can't worry about the age.
    I read on one of the Steeler boards today, can't remember which one, that Farrior's cap it is just under $4 million, but Larry Foote's is right around $3 million. Foote has never been near the linebacker that James has, so if any get cut, it would be him. I have no problem with that either. He's servicable, but not for that kind of money.

So now they're $15-$17 million over? Very interested to see what happens there.

James Walker pointed out they are doing the opposite of what the Ravens did, expect a bunch of cuts to come now.

Here's a synopsis from a Steeler poster in another thread. I had asked the same question as your's (kinda):

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgal View Post
    The Steelers have several options to get at/under the cap. Aaron Smith is due 4.5 million. He's been one of my favorite Steelers, very stand-up guy both on and off the field, but injured past two seasons and mid-30's I believe. Either he takes a pay cut or will get cut, I'm afraid.

Randel El is due about 2 million and Arnaz Battle $1 million. Two easy cuts there. Larry Foote is due just over $3 million. He's a backup, at best, so more money there. Flozell Adams is due just over $5 million. He wants to return, as a starter only, but he won't be retained for that much. they could possible re-sign Colon or ask Flozell to take a reduction. One of the two will come back only.

Farrior has one year left on his deal and could be extended to lower his cap hit this year, which is about 4 million.

A good bit of Ben's salary, I read somewhere, could be converted and it would lower his cap hit by 4-5 million. Same goes for 4-5 other players.

Currently Woodley has been franchised for $10 million. Granted the deal the Panthers did really screwed the Steelers over with Woodley, but extending Woodley will lower the cap hit.