Eric DeCosta -- Underrated Upgrade to the Ravens FO

As we play the Browns this week its worth looking at how the draft choices of Savage vs. DeCosta have played out over the last 2 seasons.

To quote the Roger Brown in the Cleveland Plain Dealer this week "So, tell us - again - how having as many 2005 draft picks who have been released (Nick Speegle, Jonathan Dunn) as currently start (Charlie Frye, Braylon Edwards) is an encouraging sign that General Manager Phil Savage is properly building this team."

Eric DeCosta and Newsome have quietly changed the profile of the type of players we pick -- better character, more team players. And our last 2 drafts I think will go down as some of the more productive drafts top to bottom in the last 10 years. The 04 draft, which was a stinker was Savage's last draft.

At the time when Savage left, many were concerned about the impact. I think thankfully, that its ultimately been an upgrade for the team.

Re: Eric DeCosta -- Underrated Upgrade to the Ravens FO

IMO the Jury is still out on Eric. Certainly being around, Scott Paoli, Shaq Harris, Ozzie, Phil, etc.... can't hurt. But, if you look at E.D.'s background he almost exclusivly supported mid-west players, since that was his regional responsibility.

One player that the FO missed was Randy Starks. I am currently concerned at the Pittman pick. When Prude, Oglesby and others beat this kid....... it speaks volumes

In fact let me take that one step further..... Adam Terry is an unknown comodity. As far as drafting first round picks, other than Butch Davis, you can have a blind Monkey throw darts, and generally a first rounder can develop.

Quote Originally Posted by 21xxxv
    In fact let me take that one step further..... Adam Terry is an unknown comodity. As far as drafting first round picks, other than Butch Davis, you can have a blind Monkey throw darts, and generally a first rounder can develop.
    Wrong wrong wrong!!!!!! Do a little research and check other teams 1st rd history over the last 10 years and NOONE comes close to the Ravens success. Only NE has been better than us at finding guys in the middle rounds.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

Quote Originally Posted by 21xxxv View Post
    I have to totally disagree as well. Go through the last 10 years of drafts and you will see that a significant numbers of players not only don't develop but are outright busts.

FHRaven

I should have said First Round/First 15 picks.

DeCosta is definitely an upgrade over Savage, but lets not forget that is is Ozzie who runs the show. We have lost 2 right hand men and DeCosta will be a GM one day as well. All while not really missing a beat. This speaks volumes about how well our FO is run from the top.