Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Will Heap make HOF like Mackey?

Tony Gonzalez played in the same era as Todd Heap. He has more than double the yards and touchdowns as Heap. No way Heap has any shot, nor should he, being that far behind the top guy of the generation.

Definitely in the Ravens Ring of Honour

But no, he won't be going to Canton

Gonzalez will go before him.
    And I'd put Jason Witten before Heap also

As said, Heap is a very good player but not a great player. And there a few (but not many) Tight Ends playing now and in the last decade I'd put above him

I too hope he can retire a Raven and with class, he deserves it. But the NFL is a business and one day he may be cut in a salary cap purge, for example it's possible this is going to happen to Kelly Gregg this offseason

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Bingo! Anything is possible. I cringe each year when I see some of the players from the past couple decades make it ... media favorites who weren't exceptional. Geez ... even a nobody like Byner can get his name on a stadium facade. :grbac:

Heap is a great TE for the modern era. Trap's stats notwithstanding, Heap isn't close to Mackey in his impact to the game.
    I posted that Mackey revolutionized the position and quoted someone that
    Heap never bowled over opponents like Mackey except maybe a couple of times,
    so no, he didn't impact the game like Mackey. Nobody has.

I agree that he needs a monster year and a ring to get into the HOF but I'll
    go with the above statement that anything can happen.

Sure, Gonzales goes first. We're not talking who goes first or last of the
    modern area. Maybe all of the top 4 or 5 deserve to go in.

Anything can happen.

Great posts everyone.

Wow... Tony Gonzalez has never won a playoff game.. Never realized this..

Gonzo is definitely an eventual HOFer but I'd agree that since he is one of those regular season superstars but playoff no-shows, he should not get in on the 1st ballot. Come on Shannon didn't, who was a 3 time champion that actually did show up big in the playoffs.
    Last edited by ravensnhokies; 07-10-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Heap's maybe been considered top five at his position once or twice in his career so far. Never been close to the most dominant TE in the game any given year. When you think about great TEs playing in the '00s, I doubt anyone thinks of him outside of Baltimore.

Tony Gonzalez
    Shannon Sharpe
    Dallas Clark
    Jason Witten
    Jeremy Shockey
    Chris Cooley
    Frank Wycheck
    Vernon Davis
    Antonio Gates

Heap is just a name among this crowd. Gonzo and Sharpe are as close to locks as can be. Vernon Davis looks to be on a pretty good trajectory. But Antonio Gates is a pretty good counter to Heap. Both just turned 30 years old. The thing is, Heap has two more seasons (started '01 vs. '03 for Gates), but has 2,500 fewer receiving yards and 28 fewer receiving TDs. Gates has 7k yards, 69 TDs, and this, to me, is likely the bar for what it takes to be a HoF player at the position at this point. There can only be so many HoF players at any given time, and TE - one of the lowest priority positions in the game - will not be sending several players to the Hall.

I'm not gonna say Heap has no shot. But he needs to completely blow up the next three or four years to have any hope of being considered.

It's not the Hall of Very Good.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Wow... Tony Gonzalez has never won a playoff game.. Never realized this..

Gonzo is definitely an eventual HOFer but I'd agree that since he is one of those regular season superstars but playoff no-shows, he should not get in on the 1st ballot. Come Shannon didn't, who was a 3 time champion that actually did show up big in the playoffs.
    ???

Gonzalez is by a mile the greatest receiving TE to ever play the game. TE isn't a key position... Has anyone ever heard anyone say "Man, this team would get out of their one-and-done slump and get to the SB if only they could get a great tight end?"

Not saying he will or won't get in on the first ballot. But not having a playoff win certainly shouldn't be something that keeps him out. He spent years on a terrible team where he was the best or second best player. Not having a playoff win is certainly in no way his fault.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

The Hall of Fame has devolved into the Hall of Pretty Good.

That said, I still can't envision Heap making it in. His durability is his biggest liability and the voters will remember it, rightfully so.

Blog Entries

Great points everyone, but I'd take Heap over Shockey any day.

Wink Re: Will Heap make HOF like Mackey?

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post

Right now, I'd still take Heap over most other NFL Tight Ends, even though he is not HOF material. I wasn't impressed with either rookie TE we added last season, so I'm hoping that Heap will hold up for another two/three seasons.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Ditto.

I'd take Heap over Cooley as well.

And even though I definitely consider Witten to be one of the premier TE's in the game right now, I don't see how he's anywhere near contention for HOF talks.

Right now there are only two who I think should be up for consideration once they retire: Gonzalez & Clark.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    And even though I definitely consider Witten to be one of the premier TE's in the game right now, I don't see how he's anywhere near contention for HOF talks.

Right now there are only two who I think should be up for consideration once they retire: Gonzalez & Clark.

Witten: 8 seasons, 7 pro bowls and 2 all-pro teams, 600+ catches for 7000 yards and 36 touchdowns.

Clark: 8 seasons, 1 pro bowl and 1 all-pro team, 393 catches for 4500 yards and 44 touchdowns.

Witten also actually blocks, something you'll rarely see from Clark. Not to mention Clark has an all-time great QB throwing to him.

In addition - Gates: 8 seasons, 7 pro bowls and 3 all-pro teams, 500+ catches for 7000 yards and 69 touchdowns.

Since 2003 when all three entered the league, Gates has represented the AFC and Witten the NFC as the premier TEs in the NFL outside of Gonz.

I'd say you're way overselling Clark and underselling both Witten and Gates.

Blog Entries

I highly doubt that Todd Heap will make the Hall of Fame. It seems unanimous amongst us that Heap took severe punishment catching passes from Kyle Boller. However, the Hall of Fame is meant to be a place where players persevere through such disadvantages, to still dominate. Barry Sanders and Walter Payton both ran behind very bad offensive lines, for example. Yet, they were still dominant. Tony Gonzalez plays on a Chiefs team where an aged Eddie Kennison was the top WR threat for years. Everyone knew that he was going to be the main guy and that if you took him out of the game, the game was over. Yet and still, he continued to dominate.

I cannot say that for Todd Heap.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore