Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Will Heap make HOF like Mackey?

We have a discussion on another board about Mackey vs Heap, all with
    due respect of course. As mentioned Mackey revolutionized the TE position
    with his receptions and was a dangerous weapon after catching the ball literally running over opponents.

A guy said Heap has only done that about 3 times that he can remember but
    I looked up their stats and they are almost identical.

Both have a little over 5,000 yards receiving. Heap has a couple more TDs.
    Mackey has the longest TD of 89 yards. Heap's longest is 65 yards.

Both were named to a couple of pro bowls. Mackey won a SB ring while
    Heap hasn't yet but should have. That wasn't his fault.

Mackey had Unitas throwing to him while Heap had Boller for half his
    career, which ruined his back.

Heap plays in a tougher physical division and a much faster game.

The poster makes a good point about Heap's lack of of yardage after the
    catch but it seems with the same yardage, Heap should make the Hall
    even if he played in more games.

Anyway, we've been treated to some of the best TEs that ever played plus Shannan Sharpe
    who won the trophy for us.

What does everyone think?

Blog Entries

Re: Will Heap make HOF like Mackey?

Last edited by AirFlacco; 07-10-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Unfortunately he took way too much abuse early in his career. I'd say he has absolutely no chance whatsoever. Of this era, you've got Gonzalez as a lock with Gates well on his way. After those two, next will be Witten if he stays relatively healthy for a few more seasons. Heap will end up around the 4th or 5th best TE of his generation, which isn't good enough at that position to make it in.

Ring of honor should be waiting for him though.

I think Heap needs a Super Bowl ring and at least one truly standout season in the twilight of his career to be considered for the HOF.

I love the guy to death. He is a tough, hard-nosed competitor who has taken a nasty licking over the years and keeps on ticking. (Thank you, Timex...) I just think he won;t have the juice to get elected if he doesn't have some more individual and team success before he hangs it up.

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. Great posts. Maybe on another team huh?

You're probably right.

Abuse is what I meant about Boller killing him all those years.

Blog Entries

Sadly I agree, Heap never rocketed to national prominence... people know about him but he never had the big spotlight to burn into peoples minds, except locally where we have followed him and know how good he is. I also think injuries, and Cam keeping him in to shore up the blocking didn't help him at all.

He will be ring of honor, he will have Baltimore in his pocket if he chooses to stay here (like Lenny Moore and others), and will always be welcome if he lives elsewhere.

But I can't see enshrined in Canton unless as Maelstrom says, he produces a monster.

I know there are still a few of us who remember a TE out of ND named Mutscheller and he has 2 championships.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Like C-Mac very good, but not great.

He has zero shot of making the HOF.. but he'll make our ROH easily. A great Raven.

I don't know if Heap will make the HOF or not. However, it would not surprise me to see him make it. I think the HOF is rather watered-down these days. Many people cherish the very good players, but overvalue them a bit. Not to take away anything from Heap, I think he's a very good player, and a great guy all around, but the game is very different now than it was in the 60s when Mackey was playing. It's not very accurate to compare them. But as I said, Heap is one of the top TEs in the game these days, and people will remember him fondly after he retires. The fond memories of a very good player MIGHT be enough to put him in the HOF. Personally, I don't think he deserves it, but I'm rather biased in that I'd like only the very very best players of all time to make the HOF. Otherwise, it kind of loses it's significance.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    I think the HOF is rather watered-down these days.
    Bingo! Anything is possible. I cringe each year when I see some of the players from the past couple decades make it ... media favorites who weren't exceptional. Geez ... even a nobody like Byner can get his name on a stadium facade. :grbac:

Heap is a great TE for the modern era. Trap's stats notwithstanding, Heap isn't close to Mackey in his impact to the game.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

It's very difficult for a TE to be considered for the HOF these days. Shannon Sharpe may be the last TE to be considered for quite some time. I'm not even sure if Tony Gonzalez will be a 1st ballot HOF'er, though he probably should be. I think maybe Dallas Clark's name should be tossed into that mix too, but that's probably about it.

Right now, Tony Gonzalez is the only TE who has HOF numbers without having a SB.

If Vernon Davis goes to another team with an actual QB, he's talented enough that he could be that next great TE.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I see Heap as definitely being a ROH type of player because he has been a great Raven. I'd like to see him retire as a Raven, but the NFL doesn't work that way sometimes.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.