Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5 Things Flacco Needs to do to Silence Critics

According to ESPN's James Walker

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Dhani Jones says Flacco can't handle pressure and makes too many bad decisions.

NFL Network analyst Jamie Dukes says Flacco doesn't work hard enough.

In other words, there has been no shortage of offseason jabs at Flacco, who has become the biggest punching bag in the AFC North during the NFL lockout. The list of detractors questioning Flacco's ability to take the Ravens to the next level appears to be growing every month.

But there is hope for the talented, fourth-year quarterback. Flacco, 26, is still young and entering his prime. So now is the time to put all of those concerns to rest.

With that in mind, CLICK HERE to learn of the 5 keys to silence for Joe the Quarterback...
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: 5 Things Flacco Needs to do to Silence Critics

Joe has to beat Ben, but Ben can get away with making the few necessary throws in a defense-dominated victory. lol.

I thought that they were going to go into aspects of his technical game that he needs to improve.

Get rid of the ball quicker
    Throw better over the middle
    Use his legs more to his advantage when the pressure is on
    Move quicker through his progressions (Although that is closely tied to getting rid of the ball quicker).
    Putting less air under some of his deep passes.

The issues about control over the offense were not in his control. If they are this year, that will change (I almost sound like Toon Face. lol)

I do think that Cam could have helped him with his progressions and, consequently, getting rid of the football quicker. Cameron could have implemented more of a quick passing game. Especially, since our top three WRs excelled in quick passing situations.

I do not see Joe as a guy who will ever be great at throwing on the run. He is just too mechanical, like Brady and Manning. They need to be able to set their feet and deliver. However, he can use his legs more. He can run off yards in chunks due to his long strides. The threat could allow him to bring more pump fakes into his game as well.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 07-06-2011 at 05:22 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Eternal Ring View Post
    Joe has to beat Ben, but Ben can get away with making the few necessary throws in a defense-dominated victory. lol.

I thought that they were going to go into aspects of his technical game that he needs to improve.

Get rid of the ball quicker
    Throw better over the middle
    Use his legs more to his advantage when the pressure is on
    Move quicker through his progressions (Although that is closely tied to getting rid of the ball quicker).
    Putting less air under some of his deep passes.

The issues about control over the offense were not in his control. If they are this year, that will change (I almost sound like Toon Face. lol)

I do think that Cam could have helped him with his progressions and, consequently, getting rid of the football quicker. Cameron could have implemented more of a quick passing game. Especially, since our top three WRs excelled in quick passing situations.

I do not see Joe as a guy who will ever be great at throwing on the run. He is just too mechanical, like Brady and Manning. They need to be able to set their feet and deliver. However, he can use his legs more. He can run off yards in chunks due to his long strides. The threat could allow him to bring more pump fakes into his game as well.
    This...I think whatever adjustments promised when Harbs seemingly saved Cam's job will be just as important as what Flacco does to improve. To piggy back on all your points i think also Joe gets sloppy mechanically at times, especially when pressured, that has to change. With the personel we currently have we should be able to attack the whole field, a fair amount of pressure lies on the coaching staff to not only do that but do it more efficiently. There is a structural change as well as a mindset change that needs to take place so that teams cant play us as aggressively as they've done in the past. I think more freedom for Joe will lead to more Ints and mistakes for Joe initially but will result in more play made downfield, a better idea of how to counter looks and in the long run make him a better QB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    This...I think whatever adjustments promised when Harbs seemingly saved Cam's job will be just as important as what Flacco does to improve. To piggy back on all your points i think also Joe gets sloppy mechanically at times, especially when pressured, that has to change. With the personel we currently have we should be able to attack the whole field, a fair amount of pressure lies on the coaching staff to not only do that but do it more efficiently. There is a structural change as well as a mindset change that needs to take place so that teams cant play us as aggressively as they've done in the past. I think more freedom for Joe will lead to more Ints and mistakes for Joe initially but will result in more play made downfield, a better idea of how to counter looks and in the long run make him a better QB.
    I like to use Aaron Rodgers as an example for what you stated (Bolded). Aaron Rodgers was given control over the Green Bay offense from the moment he was named the starter. Now, in Rodgers' case, it is a little different, because he had the opportunity to sit for three seasons. Nevertheless, when he first came in to play as the starter in 2009, that freedom led to a lot of turnovers by Rodgers. However, the coaching staff allowed him to work through the mistakes. Now, I believe, Aaron Rodgers is better from it.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 07-06-2011 at 06:35 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I like to use Aaron Rodgers as an example for what you stated (Bolded). Aaron Rodgers was given control over the Green Bay offense from the moment he was named the starter. Now, in Rodgers' case, it is a little different, because he had the opportunity to sit for three seasons. However, when he first came in to play as the starter in 2009, that freedom led to a lot of turnovers by Rodgers. However, the coaching staff allowed him to work through the mistakes. Now, I believe, Aaron Rodgers is better from it.
    Good point, and even tho Joe has played his first few seasons sort of with training wheels on, he's still played. He'll be able to take all of that experience into what we all hope is more of a leading role and take less lumps because he's been a starter for 3 years, but they'll be a learning curve with more on his plate.

Blog Entries

We really did not see Cameron utilize the short-intermediate middle of the field until the Kansas City playoff game. I would find it hard to believe that if Flacco were given more freedom with the offense, that we wouldn't have seen that strategy utilized sooner.

We really did not see Cameron utilize the short-intermediate middle of the field until the Kansas City playoff game. I would find it hard to believe that if Flacco were given more freedom with the offense, that we wouldn't have seen that strategy utilized sooner.
    Looking at that game and the 10 catches Heap had, the 5 Boldin had, i dont think it was anything schematically that led to them. I think they just shocked the hell out of KC because they hadnt seen it on tape all season, they never adjusted on Heap and played him one on one with a LB, i believe it was Mcgraw. I'd love to see that implemented more next year, especially with a guy like Torrey Smith that fly down the field to complement that.

Blog Entries

I can somewhat understand why Joe Flacco is trying to help out Torrey Smith so much. He understands how much of an impact Torrey Smith could have on this offense. Pittsburgh plays the Ravens aggressively. If they are going to go over the top, Torrey Smith will be a reason why. Then, once they get the 'Hair' in coverage, the offense can play more comfortably. They can work the middle or they can use the pass to set up the run with Polamalu so deep in coverage.

If he does the first two he should be able to accomplish the rest. The Steelers are the only thing standing between the Ravens and a super bowl appearance.

It's a really nice change of pace to read a thread where someone makes very good points about Joe Flacco with out some nimrod trying to turn the thread into a Ben Roethlisberger thread.

1. I do agree that the Ravens need to win a game against the Steelers with Pig Ben at QB, but I think it wouldn't have mattered who the QB was in the two games the Ravens did win against the Steelers w/o Pig Ben. I think it is ridiculous to say that it was the QB that won all of the 6 games with Pig Ben since the Steelers D did more to win in some of those games than their O. Two of those game the Steelers D created a fumble within the last half of the 4th quarter that allowed the Steelers to beat the Ravens by a whole 3 points in each game, that is more of the kicker winning the game than the QB. In 2008 it was again the kicker that beat the Ravens in OT, later in the year it was Gay that intercepted a pass on the PIT 11 that kept the Ravens from scoring late in the 4th quarter. So it wasn't the Steelers with Ben that won those 4 games it was the kicker and D. So in my opinion Ben Roethlisberger has only beaten the Ravens as many times as Joe Flacco has beaten the Steelers.

2. Joe does need to make better plays in the playoffs. He has only thrown more yards than the team the Ravens beat in the playoffs only once and that was against the Chiefs. It doesn't help that the Ravens lost to the two teams that Baltimore football fans like to see lose the most, the Steelers and Colts. I thought last year was going to be Joe's break out season, being it was his third year in the NFL, but he has gotten better year after year and this is the one place that he really needs to improve. I know we all are expecting the Ravens to make the playoffs again, but if they don't 3 out of 4 seasons making the playoffs is really really good.

3. In the past three seasons the Ravens have made the playoffs, but they have yet to win the AFC North. It would be nice for the city to at least host a first week playoff game, even better to have a first week bye in the playoffs and host a playoff game. Unless the Browns finally get their feces together or the Bengals can make something happen with their soap opera off season, it does look like the division is a two horse race. The best thing for the Ravens is the fact that the team that loses the Super Bowl usually does really bad the next season.

4. I thought we were going to see a lot of the deep ball last year with the Stallworth signing, but that never occured. I am hopeful that Torrey Smith does bring the deep threat that will only help the Ravens passing game, I just think that we will just see more of the same, especially early in the season, with the lock out.

5. Flacco has another 7-13 years left of his career, and I don't think it is neccessary for him to win it NOW for his legacy. I would really love for Ed Reed, Todd Heap, Derrick Mason, and some of the other long time Ravens to get their ring before they retire, but if the team doesn't make it soon those guys aren't going to be around for the festivities. I do think the Ravens have what it takes to win a Super Bowl now, don't get me wrong, it's just that the most deserving team doesn't always win the Super Bowl, or even make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by EdReed4HOF View Post
    If he does the first two he should be able to accomplish the rest.
    The rest aren't really important IMO...the first two are all he needs to silence critics, although playing well against tougher competition consistently probably belongs on this list. So far he hasn't really done that.

If he does #5, it will silence critics. However, I don't think he needs to do it to silence critics.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

1 thru 5 = Joe has to win a Super Bowl (which I think he will) ... Bc