View Poll Results: If Bulger leaves and Ravens go for an experienced backup who you like?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bruce Gradowski

2 11.76%
  • Matt Moore

1 5.88%
  • Billy Volek

4 23.53%
  • Matt Hasselbeck

5 29.41%
  • Trent Edwards

0 0%
  • Kerry Collins

2 11.76%
  • Other

3 17.65%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Backup QB for next season (if Bulger leaves)

Not seen a recent thread on this, apologies if I missed it

Still unsure if Bulger will leave or not. Last month and after the draft I was certain he would be leaving for the Cardinals and it would be a good match for him in my opinion. He's good enough to be a starter, is rested and refreshed and knows all about the NFC West.
    But a lot of reports now that it may not happen.

I'd certainly like him to stay but if he gets a starter role elsewhere then I wish him well.

Anyway, assuming Marc moves on who do you like as backup QB?
    Tyrod Taylor seems impressive but if Flacco goes down (knock on wood), throwing in a rookie is not ideal. Not sure what Hunter Cantwell will be doing, another year on the practice squad perhaps.

Over on the main site, people are mentioning mad targets like McNabb or Kolb. Neither would likely settle for a backup job and both will cost a lot

So we're looking for likely and affordable targets.

Me, I like Bruce Gradowski. The man is a leader and has always gotten the Raiders to respond to him. Led the Raiders to a win over the Steelers also which is good.

Kerry Collins is another QB mentioned. Tall, big arm and experienced

Billy Volek has a connection with Cam Cameron
    Trent Edwards is another option too
    I would have thrown in Chad Pennington too but he's injured once again and working for Fox this year.

Added a poll, I've no doubt missed a few options

I'm realy enthuastic about Gradowski if Marc Bulger leaves, what about you?

Re: Backup QB for next season (if Bulger leaves)

Gradkowski only completed 53% last year. He is not the worst back up QB available or anything but enthusiastic?

I would rather bring back Troy Smith. He should at least know the O.

I am not really worried about the backup Qb spot. A decent option should be available once the music stops and a former starter is left without a starting job.

:T2:

I voted for "Other", i.e. Donovan McNabb. That assumes that he would take a back-up's salary.

Next up would be Billy Volek, who has the best combination of successful experience and viable playing years remaining.

Collins would be OK, if, like McNabb, he has any gas left in the tank. Edwards or Moore might provide a few years of service.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I would rather bring back Troy Smith. He should at least know the O.
    Once and for all, can we finally bury the midget from Ohio State? Let him enjoy the remainder of his career in the CFL, where he fits (literally and figuratively).
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

McNabb would never settle as a back up and I don't want the locker room drama he brings.

Bulger will be back.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    McNabb would never settle as a back up and I don't want the locker room drama he brings.

Bulger will be back.
    Double dose of :word :word
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Wouldn't mind Hasselbeck, he didn't really have anything in Seattle to work with and could probably do well as a backup here.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

Years remaining are immaterial as long term back ups are rare

I believe Bulger will be back, if not I vote for Kerry Collins.

If not Bulger, I'd probably pick Volek. Matt Moore would be an interesting possibility also.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Bulger will be back.
    It's sounding more and more like this is going to happen, although I'm not sure I'm totally comfortable with the idea that Bulger really doesn't want to play or be a starter. It's one thing to have a back-up who is clearly that - a back-up - but, it's another to have a back-up who could possibly start somewhere else, but really doesn't want to (if the talk is true).

That said, he's a better fit than just about anyone else out there.

Plus, given the money that the Ravens gave Bulger last year, he kind of owes them a year at $1.5M to balance it out! :D
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Why do people keep insisting that we need a back up who used to be good but is now washed up?

Bulger? Collins? Hasslebeck? The ALL stink!! They all had good years in their prime and they all suck. McNabb is heading that way too.

I'd much rather have a dude like Gradkowski or yeah even Troy Smith or Tyrod Taylor or whoever. Shaun Hill would be ideal if he weren't locked up by Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    Why do people keep insisting that we need a back up who used to be good but is now washed up?

Bulger? Collins? Hasslebeck? The ALL stink!! They all had good years in their prime and they all suck. McNabb is heading that way too.

I'd much rather have a dude like Gradkowski or yeah even Troy Smith or Tyrod Taylor or whoever. Shaun Hill would be ideal if he weren't locked up by Detroit.
    I'd say it's because very few "young" QBs are going to want to come here and get stuck behind Joe. It's likely only the guys who are aging veterans who are going to be willing to be his "caddy" (ie no chance to compete for the starting gig).
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap