Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Post 2011 NFL Draft: 1st Round Order and Team Needs

Hi all, my name is obvious, but I wanted to introduce myself. I've been posting with the Orioles Hangout for quite a few years, and am a former Associate Editor there. I'm also an author/writer, as well as the founder of DraftAmerica.com, which I subsequently sold. I've covered the MLB Draft while appearing as a guest on ESPN Radio in Albany, NY these past two years, but I've followed the NFL Draft for a greater period of time, and am now focused on the upcoming NFL Draft at the end of April.

I have a passion for both my O's and Ravens, and am pleased to see that same passion for the Ravens exists here. Being new here, I'll try to be as aware as I can of the rules and such, and I look forward to sharing as much researched information and insight as I can.

1 Carolina Panthers
    DT, QB, CB, OLB, DE

2 Denver Broncos
    DT, LB, TE, S, DE

3 Buffalo Bills
    LOT, QB, DE (3-4), OLB (3-4), TE

4 Cincinnati Bengals
    QB, WR, DT, OT, RB

5 Arizona Cardinals
    QB, OLB (3-4), OT/G, TE, CB

6 Cleveland Browns
    DE (3-4), WR, DT, CB, OT

7 San Francisco 49ers
    QB, NT, CB, OLB, WR

8 Tennessee Titans
    QB, DT, ILB, OG, CB

9 Dallas Cowboys
    DE (3-4), OT, ILB, S, OG

10 Washington Redskins
    QB, NT, WR, OLB (3-4), ROT/OG

11 Houston Texans
    CB, FS, OLB, NT, SS

12 Minnesota Vikings
    QB, FS, OT, DT, C

13 Detroit Lions
    CB, WLB, SLB, OT, RB

14 St Louis Rams
    WR, OLB, DT, RB, OG

15 Miami Dolphins
    RB, OG, QB, FS, ILB

16 Jacksonville Jaguars
    FS, OLB, WR, QB, DE

17 New England Patriots
    OLB, DE, OT, OG, RB

18 San Diego Chargers
    DE (3-4), ILB, OLB (3-4), ROT, WR

19 New York Giants
    LB, C/LOG, TE, RB, DT

20 Tampa Bay Bucaneers
    DE, MLB, CB, OLB, RB

21 Kansas City Chiefs
    NT, WR, ROT, ILB, OLB

22 Indianapolis Colts
    OT, OG, DT, CB, SS

23 Philadelphia Eagles
    CB, OLB, ROG, OT, QB

24 New Orleans Saints
    DE, OLB, SS, DT, RB

25 Seattle Seahawks
    OT, OG/C, QB, OLB, CB

26 Baltimore Ravens
    CB, WR, OT, DE, FS

27 Atlanta Falcons
    DE (rush), OLB, TE, WR, ROT/OG

28 New England Patriots
    OLB, DE, OT, OG, RB

29 Chicago Bears
    LOT, DT, WR, C, OLB

30 New York Jets
    OLB, NT, DE, WR, OT/OG

31 Pittsburgh Steelers
    OT/OG, CB, NT, WR, TE

32 Green Bay Packers
    DE, OLB, OG, WR, RB

Wink Re: 2011 NFL Draft: 1st Round Order and Team Needs

Thanks. And question ... are the positions random, or in order of priority? If so, I would place higher priority on our DE than WR or OT (assuming that Gaither is retained).

btw: y'assou! :greece
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: 2011 NFL Draft: 1st Round Order and Team Needs

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Thanks. And question ... are the positions random, or in order of priority? If so, I would place higher priority on our DE than WR or OT (assuming that Gaither is retained).

btw: y'assou! :greece
    They are prioritized, via Todd McShay of ESPN. :)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...odd&id=6243238

I believe that we cannot afford to hope that the Gaither situation stabilizes the line, and therefore an OT will need to be addressed early. The Ravens choose the best player on their board, although they'll look down the board slightly to fill an immediate need. Time will tell how it plays out, but it is always fun trying to figure it out ahead of time.

BTW, I'm part Greek and don't speak the language... regardless, thank you and "hello" to you as well. :)
    Last edited by Greg Pappas; 04-05-2011 at 06:28 PM.

4. Re: 2011 NFL Draft: 1st Round Order and Team Needs

There are a few guys I am looking at for the Ravens, although they may not necessarily be "needs" at this point:

- Justin Houston

- Jimmy Smith

- Muhammad Wilkerson (Sadly, he won't make it to 26 though.)

- Derek Sherrod

- Nate Solder (word is that he may drop on Draft day, in which case Ozzie would gladly snatch him up)

I'm not a big fan of Clayborn, Ayers, Brandon Harris, or Aaron Williams (who many have been "mocking" to the Ravens). I have a hard time believing none of the above five guys will be available for us at 26.

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    There are a few guys I am looking at for the Ravens, although they may not necessarily be "needs" at this point:

- Justin Houston

- Jimmy Smith

- Muhammad Wilkerson (Sadly, he won't make it to 26 though.)

- Derek Sherrod

- Nate Solder (word is that he may drop on Draft day, in which case Ozzie would gladly snatch him up)

I'm not a big fan of Clayborn, Ayers, Brandon Harris, or Aaron Williams (who many have been "mocking" to the Ravens). I have a hard time believing none of the above five guys will be available for us at 26.
    I'm not as high on Houston as I am the other four, but agree with you almost entirely. The four players you are not a fan of, I am not as well... at least not in the first round.

6. Re: 2011 NFL Draft: 1st Round Order and Team Needs

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pappas View Post
    I'm not as high on Houston as I am the other four, but agree with you almost entirely. The four players you are not a fan of, I am not as well... at least not in the first round.
    I'd be interested to know what you don't like about Houston. He is definitely still very raw and could not be counted on to play much LB at this point, but he could really provide the spark on defense we were expecting from Kindle.

He may not be nearly the overall player Suggs is in our system right now, but we don't need that yet. If he could spell JJ in obvious passing situations and take a few years to develop into a starter, that could be a very successful draft pick.

Perfect fit in the first round? Probably not. Solid pick if none of the other four guys are around? I think so.

Jimmy Smith is the perfect pick for the Ravens in my opinion. Chris McCalister talent coming at a discount because of his...Chris McCalisterness. He may have some character issues, but I haven't heard anything other than him being an exceptional teammate. He's the big, physical corner Ozzie and Co have been talking about for a couple years now.

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    I'd be interested to know what you don't like about Houston. He is definitely still very raw and could not be counted on to play much LB at this point, but he could really provide the spark on defense we were expecting from Kindle.

He may not be nearly the overall player Suggs is in our system right now, but we don't need that yet. If he could spell JJ in obvious passing situations and take a few years to develop into a starter, that could be a very successful draft pick.

Perfect fit in the first round? Probably not. Solid pick if none of the other four guys are around? I think so.

Jimmy Smith is the perfect pick for the Ravens in my opinion. Chris McCalister talent coming at a discount because of his...Chris McCalisterness. He may have some character issues, but I haven't heard anything other than him being an exceptional teammate. He's the big, physical corner Ozzie and Co have been talking about for a couple years now.
    Regarding Houston... I've watched the available videos of him, and am just not that enamored with him. Solid? Yes. Potentially better than solid? Yes. But unless he were still available in the second round, I'd look at the others first.

I agree about Smith, and for the same reasons you pointed out. Another CB I have my eye on is Virginia's Ras-I Dowling.

Blog Entries

Great post. You certainly have our needs right.

I've noticed that Julio Jones has dropped out of the top 10 on several mocks,
    down as far as #14. He and AJ are the top receivers in the draft.

With 9 picks, do you think Ozzie has the ammo to trade up for him especially
    if he drops a couple of spots lower.

If not, I've been pimping Jimmy Smith who could be a C-MAC clone about
    the same size and same type of hitter. He would be great along with Reed.
    As far as issues, I think all but 4 teams have worked him out so somebody will take him.
    He claims the issues are behind him. I've seen him anywhere from 20 to top of the 2d round.

Kiper says he's a steal at 26.

Piss wouldn't be able to go opposite Carr and we could even move Webb
    to Landry's spot.

As for Nate Solder, Charlie Casserly said in DEC he is the best o-lineman in the draft.
    I'm surprised he's dropping and Oz could very well jump on him if he does.

Whadda ya think.

I've also seen several mocks with us taking Sherrod, a LOT which could
    move Oher back to RT.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-06-2011 at 12:48 AM.

9. Re: 2011 NFL Draft: 1st Round Order and Team Needs

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pappas View Post
    Regarding Houston... I've watched the available videos of him, and am just not that enamored with him. Solid? Yes. Potentially better than solid? Yes. But unless he were still available in the second round, I'd look at the others first.

I agree about Smith, and for the same reasons you pointed out. Another CB I have my eye on is Virginia's Ras-I Dowling.
    I can see where you're coming from with Houston. For most teams, I think he's a really big risk. The Ravens seem like the perfect type of situation where he could flourish, similar to what Jason Worilds will probably do for the Steelers in a few years (although he was a second round pick and really isn't that much different of a prospect).

Dowling is an interest guy that I keep going back and forth on. You can't help but compare him to Chris Cook because of the size/speed and school, but you draft him hoping that he's more like Sean Smith (which I think he can be).

What makes it tough to evaluate him is that he went to UVa. Poor coaching. Poor talent around him. Teams didn't have to challenge him that much. I have seen some film on him where he looks like quite a player, and you can easily dream on him to use that size and speed and be a shutdown corner. The likeliness that he reaches that is questionable at this point though. The injuries could be another reason to call him under-rated, or another reason to stay away.

I know I'm being a homer, but Roc Carmichael from Tech is a guy that I really like. I know that we have too many smallish speedsters at CB already, but Rock is a guy that could come in and have a rookie year like Shields did for the Packers this year. The guy turned off cable TV for his last two years at school so that he had to watch tape every night on his TV. He seems like the type of football player that would fit right in with Ed and Ray. If he's there at the end of third round, I think you have take him.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Great post. You certainly have our needs right.

I've noticed that Julio Jones has dropped out of the top 10 on several mocks,
    down as far as #14. He and AJ are the top receivers in the draft.

With 9 picks, do you think Ozzie has the ammo to trade up for him especially
    if he drops a couple of spots lower.

If not, I've been pimping Jimmy Smith who could be a C-MAC clone about
    the same size and same type of hitter. He would be great along with Reed.
    As far as issues, I think all but 4 teams have worked him out so somebody will take him.
    He claims the issues are behind him. I've seen him anywhere from 20 to top of the 2d round.

Kiper says he's a steal at 26.

Piss wouldn't be able to go opposite Carr and we could even move Webb
    to Landry's spot.

As for Nate Solder, Charlie Casserly said in DEC he is the best o-lineman in the draft.
    I'm surprised he's dropping and Oz could very well jump on him if he does.

Whadda ya think.

I've also seen several mocks with us taking Sherrod, a LOT which could
    move Oher back to RT.
    Thanks.

Solder -a former tight-end- is a risk, as he's still raw. I watch tape of him and he needs to get stronger in his base, and stronger overall. In the NFL, he would get manhandled too often. He has monster upside however, and one would expect that Solder will get stronger, and more likely than not he'll be an outstanding LOT. I'd be very happy to get him. Ditto for Smith.

I am high on Sherrod as a guy who can come in and contribute immediately. I think he would be another very solid pick-up. I like Sherrod better at LT than others, including Anthony Costanzo and Gabe Carimi, who -in my view- project better as RT's.

Blog Entries

Great comments. Thanks again.

Anyone we get at 26 will need work. There won't be too many impact players if any.
    Jimmy might be able to start at some point as rookie and has loads of potential and like you
    say Sherrod could start. I'd be Ok with any of the above.

I've also read where Oz could trade down like last year and go for Torrey Smith of
    MD or Austin Pettis in the 2d round who some think could be a Wallace clone.

BTW, the key to reading Ts posts is to note the time. The one above was written
    during happy hour if you catch the drift-lol.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-06-2011 at 11:27 AM.

12. Re: 2011 NFL Draft: 1st Round Order and Team Needs

Quote Originally Posted by airflacco View Post

anyone we get at 26 will need work. There won't be too many impact players if any.
    for the 12,456,662,349,459,347th time: This IS NOT true!!