Rams release O.J. Atogwe

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/footb...27992bc8b.html

They didn't want to pay him his 8 mill bonus this year so they cut him. He's a player, but is too expensive. Anyone interested?
    Last edited by Sirdowski; 02-18-2011 at 07:23 PM.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Rams release O.J. Atogwe

More than in Bob Sanders. He is a top tier player that has managed to stay pretty healthy, can play FS or SS.
    I could not put a price on him, but think he is the right player if the price is right.

:T2:

But the price is not rigth.

Sanders different case and that price could be rigth.

Quote Originally Posted by elland View Post

Yea, except for when the Colts ship him out he'll be in pieces in a box.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

What is the price?

The guy is a player I would want on my team. I am not sure how much he is worth in terms of dollars, but I think he would make a lot of football sense.

Blog Entries

This is like a Nnamdi Lite conversation....

Yes, Atogwe is a fine player and would be a GREAT football move....but that's just the thing. He's a great football move for 31 teams in the NFL likely. So that will raise the price to sign him to a fairly large deal. The reason the chances of bringing in Nnamdi are slim is because, assuming we have a cap when football starts back up, you already have to fit Ray, Ngata, Reed, Suggs, Boldin, etc, etc under it. You also have to think about your upcoming FA...Ngata isn't done yet, Ray Rice, Joe Flacco, Yanda, Webb, etc. Atogwe won't get Nnamdi money, but I'm sure he'll get prime Safety money, which is still a decent chuck

So, unless you bring in Atogwe on another 1 year deal (Which I'm betting he won't take because when the cap returns, teams will be more willing to map out long term deals with free agents, so plenty of teams will look to sign him long term), you're basically losing one of your upcoming free agents to bring in Atogwe. Can you tell me upgrading SS is more important than RB, more important than upgrading WR or OL?

Bob Sanders on the other hand...has a history of being injured, so no team is going to go nuts on a deal for him. The "Right Player, Right Price" means you get a player for at or below the value you assign him. Atogwe is more likely to have inflated value over Bob Sanders, or at least Sanders is more likely to have deflated value anyway.

I should note this all by saying I am not a capologist, nor do I really have a clue what the FA market will be for Atogwe, so I retain my right to reverse my opinion here if I'm proven ridiculously wrong.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    This is like a Nnamdi Lite conversation....

Yes, Atogwe is a fine player and would be a GREAT football move....but that's just the thing. He's a great football move for 31 teams in the NFL likely. So that will raise the price to sign him to a fairly large deal. The reason the chances of bringing in Nnamdi are slim is because, assuming we have a cap when football starts back up, you already have to fit Ray, Ngata, Reed, Suggs, Boldin, etc, etc under it. You also have to think about your upcoming FA...Ngata isn't done yet, Ray Rice, Joe Flacco, Yanda, Webb, etc. Atogwe won't get Nnamdi money, but I'm sure he'll get prime Safety money, which is still a decent chuck

So, unless you bring in Atogwe on another 1 year deal (Which I'm betting he won't take because when the cap returns, teams will be more willing to map out long term deals with free agents, so plenty of teams will look to sign him long term), you're basically losing one of your upcoming free agents to bring in Atogwe. Can you tell me upgrading SS is more important than RB, more important than upgrading WR or OL?

Bob Sanders on the other hand...has a history of being injured, so no team is going to go nuts on a deal for him. The "Right Player, Right Price" means you get a player for at or below the value you assign him. Atogwe is more likely to have inflated value over Bob Sanders, or at least Sanders is more likely to have deflated value anyway.

I should note this all by saying I am not a capologist, nor do I really have a clue what the FA market will be for Atogwe, so I retain my right to reverse my opinion here if I'm proven ridiculously wrong.
    Agreed.

JW, that would be my answer :)

And the cap will be back, at least that is how Ozzie will operate until further knowledge.

Therefore keep dreaming, not happening.

There is no "price" yet so you can't say that. The numbers mentioned in the article is what he was entitled due to his contract with the Rams. If he goes to another team it is a blank slate.
    I root for the Steelers; I root for their plane to go down.

I'd rather be dead than pessimistic.

Agreed.

JW, that would be my answer :)

And the cap will be back, at least that is how Ozzie will operate until further knowledge.

Therefore keep dreaming, not happening.
    I will keep dreaming of big name upgrades like Aso and OJ until I know the Ravens are not interested, or someone can tell me how much the Ravens have already commited to spending next year and how close to the cap they would be.

Based on this year's spending, there should be no reason why they can not afford to add a player or three. SS is not a premier, high dollar position. No team is going to pay Otogwe what the Rams did last year or Aso what the Raiders did, and if they are a little more interested in winning than cashing in at the max, maybe they will sign on with the Ravens at reasonable rates.

Our D was #3 in PPG last year, but #1 and #2 faced off in the SB, so I think we need to be a little bit better, especially vs top QBs with 4 good WRs. Therefore I feel like our SS has to play a little more like a FS and be able to cover slot WRs, stay deeper than the deepest and make plays on the football when challeged vertically.

I like Landry but feel he is better suited to a cover 3 blitz scheme, that I am not sure will be effective vs a spread pass attack.Since the Steelers got exposed to GB, NE and Indy and SD will be in the mix. The Steelers are also now a bit of a spread pass attack more than a ground an pound, and I trust our front 7 to stop the run no matter who it is anyway, but our back 4 IMO could use an upgrade if we are to contain those types of attacks consistantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    More than in Bob Sanders. He is a top tier player that has managed to stay pretty healthy, can play FS or SS.
    I could not put a price on him, but think he is the right player if the price is right.
    Bob Sanders had played in just 9 games the last 3 seasons and 48 in a 7-year career. He's been good when on the field, but I wouldn't want the Ravens to sign another very high variance player where it is basically required that you keep a talented backup.

The right price, to me, would be the vet minimum.

Word is that the Deadskins are having Atogwe in for a look today. I'm sure lil' Danny Snyder could easily offer him a fat contract and still fund his latest lawsuit.

UPDATE: Looks like Danny Boy did indeed get Atogwe down in DC. Just signed a 5-year, $26 mil contract yesterday before the original CBA deadline.