Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Verizon to expand coverage at M&T

Verizon Wireless is paying for the cost to install about 600 small antennas at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore to improve coverage for cell phone users.

The project, valued at seven figures, will put a distributed antenna system in place at the NFL facility to accommodate 4G phone users and a much larger number of fans using smartphones in general, said Roy Sommerhof, the Baltimore Ravens' vice president of stadium operations. The new system should resolve issues that stadiums experience with providing adequate cell coverage when they are filled with 70,000 or more fans, many of whom are using mobile devices, Sommerhof said.

LINK

Thumbs down Re: Verizon to expand coverage at M&T

Just what we need for the "home field advantage": more fans playing with their electronic toys instead of watching the game. :insane:
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Verizon to expand coverage at M&T

I've never understood why people these days need to constantly be on the phone or texting. In my opinion, getting out of the house is a chance to get AWAY from the phone. As for texting, I don't understand the thrill of that. If you need to communicate with someone, turn on the phone and talk to them and get your conversation over in a fraction of the time.

As for using these devices at Ravens games - If you're that bored at a game that you need to fiddle with some electronic gadget, please give up your seat so that others can get a chance to attend the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda
    I've never understood why people these days need to constantly be on the phone or texting. In my opinion, getting out of the house is a chance to get AWAY from the phone. As for texting, I don't understand the thrill of that. If you need to communicate with someone, turn on the phone and talk to them and get your conversation over in a fraction of the time
    I text because I don't like holding a mini microwave next to my brain.

I like it. I use my blackberry for fantasy football.
    Former Season ticket holder from 1996 to 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Just what we need for the "home field advantage": more fans playing with their electronic toys instead of watching the game. :insane:
    Right, cause in that four to five hours we're in the stadium, there is never, at any point, any time what-so-ever that we should not be 100% focused on the game. Not before it. Not during TV time outs. Not at half time. Not on the way out the door. Always, 100%, our minds should only be on the field, never on anything else.

Welcome to the 21st century folks. In a time where doing more, faster helps win the game of life, this is a no-brainer.

- C -
    Last edited by psuasskicker; 02-09-2011 at 04:57 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I use it to attempt to get updates on injuries during the game or other things that you would normally get if you were watching on TV. Other than that, I am 100% focused on the game. I don't pay all that money to socialize with other people.
    I root for the Steelers; I root for their plane to go down.

I'd rather be dead than pessimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    I've never understood why people these days need to constantly be on the phone or texting. In my opinion, getting out of the house is a chance to get AWAY from the phone. As for texting, I don't understand the thrill of that. If you need to communicate with someone, turn on the phone and talk to them and get your conversation over in a fraction of the time.

As for using these devices at Ravens games - If you're that bored at a game that you need to fiddle with some electronic gadget, please give up your seat so that others can get a chance to attend the game.
    I'm with you on this one ...up to a point. I have a cell phone, but am rather old-school in my opinions on how they're typically used. IMO, 98% of non-work related cell phone use I hear in public seems unneccesary. And there are an awful lot of people who use very poor cell phone etiquette and aren't very considerate to others nearby.

However, the coverage at M&T is probably a good thing.

First, you can't reasonably expect people to leave their cell phones at home. If I need to call the wife or vice versa -- and I'm not talking about mindless chatter but rather of brief communication about unexpected delays or things of that nature --it's awfully nice to have the option of doing so.

Second, as much as I abhor casual texting, I'd much rather have the guy next to me at any public function texting on his phone about (fill-in-the-blank frivolous subject) rather than yammering loudly like a lot of idiots do in the supermarket.

Believe me, I fully sympathize with you about society's gadget obsession, but change is a part of life. When I can't stand it any more, I go do a few miles on the Appalachian Trail or something similar. Not only is it quiet, it gives me excercise. None of us can expect quiet or solitude at a football game. And the only ones getting excercise are the players.
    Last edited by trailhiker85; 02-09-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Right, cause in that four to five hours we're in the stadium, there is never, at any point, any time what-so-ever that we should not be 100% focused on the game. Not before it. Not during TV time outs. Not at half time. Not on the way out the door. Alway, 100%, our minds should only be on the field, never on anything else.

Welcome to the 21st century folks. In a time where doing more, faster helps win the game of life, this is a no-brainer.
    This. :word

Thumbs down Re: Verizon to expand coverage at M&T

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Right, cause in that four to five hours we're in the stadium, there is never, at any point, any time what-so-ever that we should not be 100% focused on the game. Not before it. Not during TV time outs. Not at half time. Not on the way out the door. Always, 100%, our minds should only be on the field, never on anything else.
    Don't be ridiculous. You know that I never suggested that fans never use cell phones during the game. Of course there are breaks in the action.

But the guy or girl who spends major portions of the game, while the ball is in play, yapping on the cell or txting or playing with his apps - might be better off at home, where he or she can pause the DVR while processing that "all-important" text message.

I don't see a lot of difference between fans like this and those who come into the stadium already shit-faced from tailgating, or the fans who spend the entire games at the club seat bar. Obviously, it's their money, which they can choose to waste on game tickets at $100-$400 a clip.

Yes, I am judgmental. I'd rather see these fans stay home and be replaced by die-hard fanatics. I like the home team advantage.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I've had season tickets since 97 and have yet to hear my cell ring anyway, I usually have 5 - 7 mesages in voicemail by the time I check it....Because I WATCH THE GAME!:T2:

Well I used my 'Berry in the stadium to check on my mother who was going through chemo--won't be an issue this year since she died so I'll one less person on a cell. Hope it makes people happy.