Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ravens Offense Is Not Complicated

The Ravens offense is not complicated. It is built to do the same kind of fundamental things teams have been doing for decades. Its just two steps:

1) Get 4.5+ yards per carry.
    2) Hit deep and intermediate routes off of play action.
    3*) We also like to get Rice the ball in space on screens, but lets not digress.

Boom, that’s the whole offensive plan. Why didn’t it work this year?

1) Instead of Yanda and Oher run blocking on the right side we got Chester (garbage) and Yanda out of position. As a result we got under 4.0 YPC, nobody believed our play action, and we ended up in lots of third and long.

2) Oher is not a natural left tackle. His arms are much smaller then Gaither’s. He was beat in pass coverage too often for Joe to consistently hit these slow developing routes (we use those routes because Joe’s strength is those routes and they are traditionally the kind of things that open up in play action when you have a good run game. intermediate routes also happen to be routes that our WR are good at running).

3) We don’t have a legitimate speedy receiver to run the deep routes, and given our lines problems in pass blocking we really needed someone who could get separation quick. Instead we had three guys running the same intermediate routes.

4) One thing we could have tried to do after recognizing these problems is to put Flacco in the shotgun more and have him try to do more short route rhythm passing west coast style. However, we have no west coast coaches (Cam is an Air Coryelle vertical style coach) and it isn’t something Flacco either has experience with nor do they want the team to move in that direction long term. Was the failure to adapt in the short term a failure of coaching? Yes. But that’s over and done with now. Going into next season we should address the failures of our original plan (efficient running and play action bombs) so we can make it work, not try to install a totally new system when we already have many of the pieces in place.

And lastly, they did try different offensive combinations. They tried using Oniel Cousins and moving people around. It just didn’t work that well.

Solutions:

1+2) Draft (in the first round) or sign a traditional pass blocking LT. Also consider getting a center with another pick to take over for Birk should he show age.

3) First, determine why the Stallworth experiment did or didn’t work and if its salvageable. Then consider acquiring a receiver of this type.

Re: Ravens Offense Is Not Complicated

Agree with EVERYTHING you said. Is it me or do you refuse to turn on ESPN until the offseason? I can't stand green, black, or yellow. Makes me ill.

This is dead on, but I think it boils down to something that can be said in one sentence. The Ravens run the Coryell system, but their personnel is suited to run a west coast offense. The more I look and think about it, the more I keep coming back to that conclusion.

And who does that fall on? (rhetorical question)

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

I agree. I also think the solution to the line problem could have been sitting on injured reserve. Ramon Harewood 6' 6" 340lbs mauler. He could be answer on right side if Gaither isn't brought back to be LT (in turn pushing Oher to the RT) I think the Ravens should draft Mike Pouncey even if he had issues with snaps this year. I just would love to see twin brothers hate each other twice a year. Either way like said above the best available center should be drafted either in the second or third round. If I was GM... (I know) Jason Brown would have been retained, (hind sight is 20/20) going forward hopefully Kindle can come in and be the speed guy to pair with Suggs and Harewood/Gaither can sure up the line and allow us to draft best available without need weighting in to heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by davver View Post

Draft (in the first round) or sign a traditional pass blocking LT. Also consider getting a center with another pick to take over for Birk should he show age.
    IMO, Birk is already showing age. The guy's tank looks just about empty. That's yet another factor along with Oher & Yanda being out of position and Chester's marginal play that's hurt the O-line.

All in all, good points in your post!

I agree with all this, Harbs has came out and said Oher will remain on the left side which is a little troubling to me tho, I'll remain cautiously optimistic about this because he has the physical tools, besides arm length to get it done, and im hoping the criticism and the struggles last year motivate him. So as long as we address RT, add at least 2 vertical threats in the passing game, expand the role of Dickson, etc. then i'd feel pretty good offensively.

7. Re: Ravens Offense Is Not Complicated

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    This is dead on, but I think it boils down to something that can be said in one sentence. The Ravens run the Coryell system, but their personnel is suited to run a west coast offense. The more I look and think about it, the more I keep coming back to that conclusion.

- C -
    Yep. What he said.

I laughed a bit when I read that DeCosta wanted more speed on the team especially on offense. Haven't been talking about that for years?

It may also bring up a point about draft strategy. The Ravens like to go best player on the board but when does need override that strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

- C -
    Because that is what their QB is built to do and they also assumed a certain production from their run game. If Gaither didn't bow out I think it would have worked to an extent. I only have two potential issues.

1) Boldin was not the kind of vertical receiver Flacco needs. They choose Boldin over others like V-Jax because of price (both money and picks). That's Ozzie's style, there is plenty to agree and disagree with.

2) I honestly think we should have kept Clayton instead of TJ. TJ is a better player all around, but he's more of what we already have. Clayton was build for speed and playing in the slot. His time in St. Louis proves that the Ravens simply weren't using him correctly, he was picked in the 1st round because he can produce.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    IMO, Birk is already showing age. The guy's tank looks just about empty. That's yet another factor along with Oher & Yanda being out of position and Chester's marginal play that's hurt the O-line.

All in all, good points in your post!
    Agreed, but there is a limit to how many players they can go and get. We have a lot of needs: LT, DE/OLB, WR, and CB(maybe). They only have one first round draft pick and we have lots of FA to sign so I doubt we will be able to sign a bunch of new free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I agree with all this, Harbs has came out and said Oher will remain on the left side which is a little troubling to me tho, I'll remain cautiously optimistic about this because he has the physical tools, besides arm length to get it done, and im hoping the criticism and the struggles last year motivate him. So as long as we address RT, add at least 2 vertical threats in the passing game, expand the role of Dickson, etc. then i'd feel pretty good offensively.
    He'll remain at LT unless we get someone better. Getting a good LT is very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mwjergs View Post
    Yep. What he said.

I laughed a bit when I read that DeCosta wanted more speed on the team especially on offense. Haven't been talking about that for years?

It may also bring up a point about draft strategy. The Ravens like to go best player on the board but when does need override that strategy?
    In fairness both our top two picks addressed needs: Kindle was an edge rusher and Cody will replace Gregg next year. Too bad he fell down the stairs.

Many good points in above posts. And Harbs needs to get his head out of the sand, be a manager, and hold his underlings accountable, (I'm talking about the offense in particular)..

It would also help if the OWNER would demand more accountability, and not just grant a "pass" to the guys that were instrumental in "sabatoging" (mis-communication, disorganization, lack of cohesion by offense coaches collectively) what probably would have been a legimitate championship season.

A word about team needs...LT is most critical if we are to avoid a repeat. Next I think a good outside pass rusher will make our secondary look better. I am more concerned about upgrading Laundry at safety, than worring about our crew of fast corners.