Defense Positional Breakdown

NT-Gregg started most of the year but saw his snaps declined throughout the year into to very low number by the end of the year. This could be it for Buddy Lee, he's due 3.5 million this yr and the team can save 3.4 of that if he's released after June 1st. Terrance Cody on the other hand came on at the end of the year, he saw his snaps increase toward the end and he played fairly well. I think after an offseason of conditioning, better technique and now knowing what to expect i think he'll be the starter next season and you'll start to see some of the dominate play he displayed at Alabama. Kelly Talavou will be coming off his season ending injury, he seemed unblockable in preseason before the injury, he stayed in the other teams backfield, i think if he comes back healthy he'll be the backup nose.

FA options-imo not necessary
    Draft options-imo not neccessary

DE-There's not alot that needs to be said about Ngata, he's one of the premier defensive players regardless of postion. Redding came on strong towards the end of the year, he always played hard. I do however feel we need some upside at that spot, i think Redding is more of a rotational player then a real impact player. Brandon Mckinney's snaps were up and down, he's a big guy that eats up blockers in the run game but gives nothing as a pass rusher, he can still be a reliable rotational guy. Kruger is getting better, his motor is undeniable but he still needs to get stronger, and refine his game more, improve his hand play, another offseason of bulking up should help him be more effective, he'll continue to play on passing downs, maybe he can develop into more. Arthur Jones has potential, maybe he can take a step in yr 2, Lamar Divens is more depth.

FA options-I think we need youth and athleticism so making a significant signing probably would be the way they'd go. Cullen Jenkins or Shaun Ellis would be good scheme fits but probably too pricey, the rest of the guys offer the same things we have already

Draft options-Cam Jordan(my personal fav), Allen Bailey, JJ Watt, Cameron Heyward, Corey Liuget

ILB-Ray is still going strong and doesnt seem ready to retire anytime soon, but we know he cant play forever. Jameel Mcclain starts opposite of him and he's been pretty consistent although not flashy, he doesnt have the range that you would like. Ellerbe is probably the most talented of the guys but took a while to get back in the rotation. Gooden is the speedster of the group and they tried to use him as the coverage guy with mix results, towards the end of the yr he did improve his play however. Jason Phillips is a thumper inside but doesnt have the athleticism or range to challenge for playing time, but he'll be a core special teams guy for a long time. Brendon Ayenbadejo will continue to lead the special teams group if he is brought back.

FA options-I would personally stand pat at the position for another year but guys like Stephen Tulloch or Paul Posluszny would serve as upgrades

Draft options-Quan Sturdivant, Kelvin Sheppard, Martez Wilson, Casey Matthews

OLB-Suggs just turned in his best season as a pro, i didnt pay attention to the voting but he should have been in the mix for DPOY. JJ on the other side is so consistent and durable, he isnt the most fleet of foot so we could use some more athleticism there to compliment him and back him up. Harbs said in his presser yesterday that Kindle would be with the team next yr, he's doing football drills now, still waiting to be cleared. He obviously has the talent to be that guy we want outside but we cant pencil him just yet with all the uncertainty. Prescott Burgess is another core special teams guy that has acutually gotten a few snaps on defense, if he makes it next year it'll be for special teams. Albert McClellan is PS guy with some pass rush ability

FA options-Kam Wimbley, Manny Lawson, Math Roth
    Draft options-Akeem Ayers, Jeremy Beal, Justin Houston, Von Miller

S-Ed Reed is expected back but there some uncertainty after that. Landry, Nakamura and Zbikowski are all free agents. Zbikowski and Nakamura should generate overwhelming interest so we should be able to tender them at the least and have them return. They have a decision to make at SS with Landry, would they like to upgrade, if so how much are they willing to spend, do they do it through the draft? Are they content with him? Also how do they view Zbi? could he step at the SS position,is he the heir apparent for Ed?

FA options-Melvin Bullitt, Atari Bigby, Brodney Pool
    Draft options-Deunta Williams, DeAndre McDaniel, Robert Sands

CB- We have Foxworth and Webb under contract, Cary Williams is an Exclusive rights free agent so we pretty much just have to tender him to keep him. Fabian Washington will be gone, do we resign Wilson and Carr or do we pick from one or the other, do we look for someone with more upside in the draft that can you can potential put on the other teams #1 WR in time?
    Danny Gorrer could be depth.

FA options-Champ Bailey, Jonathan Joseph, Brandon Carr
    Draft options-Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams, Rasi-I Dowling, Brandon Burton

Thoughts, Concerns, Criticisms?

Re: Defense Positional Breakdown

With the exception of the forced fumble against the Chiefs, the only thing I saw out of Cody was a 360lb guy getting pushed around in the run game.
    UKRavenGordon's Gametrips

2009 v Cleveland W
    2010 @ New York Jets W
    2011 (January 2012) @ New England AFCCG L

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenGordon View Post
    With the exception of the forced fumble against the Chiefs, the only thing I saw out of Cody was a 360lb guy getting pushed around in the run game.
    I saw that as well but i also saw him eating up blockers, i think he's always been so dominant that he's never had to pay attention to detail, CB will demand it, i think his technique andd conditioning will continue to get better and he's gonna be a force sooner rather then later.

I think Cody is going to end up being really good.

He needs to hone his skills, get in shape, and most importantly learn to protect his legs. I didn't see him getting pushed around so much as getting taken off his feet.

Terrance Cody- PLEASE don't eat your way out of the league.
    Thanks.
    If he doesn't he can help us a lot long term, but I think it's entirely possible he shows up to camp at 380 or more.