Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Nmamdi Asomugha Contract Voided

ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting that Nnamdi Asomugha's contract has voided, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Asomugha's contract contained a complicated clause that essentially voided the contract if the star cornerback failed to achieve certain incentives. The clause also does not allow the Raiders to slap him with the franchise tag. He'll enter free agency as the biggest name defensive player on the market.
    Looks like he will be a FA this off-season. What an addition that would be for the Ravens...

Re: Nmamdi Asomugha Contract Voided

Not gonna happen. Our corners aren't world beaters but if we're gonna make a splash in free agency it's unlikely to be for a corner.

Now if he played safety, I'd be all over him.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Very intriguing thought, but wont happen.

We need to lock up Ngata and that's going to take some serious $$$.

4. Re: Nmamdi Asomugha Contract Voided

If it takes ~3/45 to get Asomugha, I'd rather get Champ Bailey for ~2/20.

After Ozzie went out and got Housh and Foxworth recently, the notion that he won't go out and get substantial FAs seems obsolete.

Ozzie will go and get FA's, just not that FA.

And no way I'd want Champ at this point in his career. 5 years ago, yes.

Asomugha is going to get teams into a bidding frenzy, which we cannot afford (assuming there is a CBA and cap next season).

Interesting. I think he would make a great FS eventually but should still have a couple years left as a top tier CB. He is the right player, but I am not sure what the right price would be. He may be willing to take a reasonable offer to play on a D like ours after so many years of losing while making insane cash.

:T2:

7. Re: Nmamdi Asomugha Contract Voided

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Not gonna happen. Our corners aren't world beaters but if we're gonna make a splash in free agency it's unlikely to be for a corner.

Now if he played safety, I'd be all over him.
    With Foxworth (coming off ACL surgery), Webb (on and off this year so far), and Cary Williams as the only CBs on the roster for next year, I have to completely disagree with this post.

Reed is old and Landry could be better, but they are both under contract for next year. Due for long-term upgrades at both safety positions? Absolutely. More likely to sign someone at S than CB? Uh, no.

8. Re: Nmamdi Asomugha Contract Voided

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Ozzie will go and get FA's, just not that FA.
    You very well may be correct, but I just wanted to see how high some people would be willing to go for him.

If he is going to take a below-market contract, going to a playoff team with a great defense would be his likeliest destination. We would have to top that list.

And no way I'd want Champ at this point in his career. 5 years ago, yes.
    He's still a heck of a player. He held Dwayne Bower without a catch a few weeks ago. I can't find any CB stats on FBO, but I'll post them when I find them.

assuming there is a CBA and cap next season
    These two are not mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    With Foxworth (coming off ACL surgery), Webb (on and off this year so far), and Cary Williams as the only CBs on the roster for next year, I have to completely disagree with this post.

Reed is old and Landry could be better, but they are both under contract for next year. Due for long-term upgrades at both safety positions? Absolutely. More likely to sign someone at S than CB? Uh, no.
    We also have Zbi and Nakamura. Washington is a FA, so is Wilson. Cb is a need for next year and Oz did pay C-Mac big bucks back in the day so he does value elite Cbs.

I still value elite DEs like Peppers more than "shut down" CBs for about the same price, but coverage helps pressure just like pressure helps coverage.

Step away from the keyboard, hokie.

You're starting to sound like JW. ;)

Step away from the keyboard, hokie.

You're starting to sound like JW. ;)
    Are you trying to imply that I was wrong about the value of Peppers or the impact he made on the Bears D? It is a ton of money, but I think the Bears were and still are glad to be paying it.

Would seem unlikely having to lock up Ngata but anything is possible, probably would have to let go some vets (Mcgahee, Gregg)-could be gone anyway. Could let carr and wilson walk with Nmadi, Foxworth, Webb. But still have to make a decision on Yanda, Chester, Mcclain, OT, still need pass rush, still need explosiveness at WR, What happens at SS? Definitely can address a few of these needs in the draft. If we did go after Nmadi we'd have to get the draft just right, find a couple bargains in FA, etc.