OT - The Troy Smith Experiment comes to an end in San Francisco.

Well, that didn't last very long now did it?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...in-the-saddle/

Mike Singletary and Alex Smith are going to save the 49ers season or go down together. It only seems appropriate.

After meeting with his offensive coaches, Singletary has chosen Alex Smith as the team’s starting quarterback for this week’s game against the Seahawks, according to NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora.

Troy Smith seemed to give the 49ers a spark as a starter, and won three of his five starts. But Troy Smith’s knowledge of the offense was limited because he joined the team in-season and his accuracy was getting shakier by the week.

The 49ers are just about out of the NFC West race, but they would still have a chance to win the division if they won all three of their remaining division games. First up: the Seahawks this Sunday.

How's that for pretty much telling Troy Smith they have no confidence in his ability to take the team into the playoffs?

Re: OT - The Troy Smith Experiment comes to an end in San Francisco.

Defenses caught up to Smith once there was a little film on him. His QB ratings have plunged like the 2008 Stock Market: 115, 117, 52, 62, 64.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

but he has a heisman how can they bench him?

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    If the guy I heard on 1570 a couple of months ago is correct, its because like the Ravens, they're racists.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    If the guy I heard on 1570 a couple of months ago is correct, its because like the Ravens, they're racists.
    That's gotta be it, there are no logical explanations if race can possibly be involved. I mean it was Singletary's choice... he's just an Uncle Tom though.

LOL at Singletary. No matter waht you think of Troy, no chance that Alex Smith is a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    Cause he is about the same size as his Heisman trophy. Guess it's time to pack his bags and crawl to Cleveland!
    Boh

Blog Entries

In all fairness to RavensNTerps, who's obviously hopping on a plane to SF to console his mancrush, Troy Smith (just kidding, RavensNTerps...)

It is a little odd for them to make this move. My guess is that Singletary realizes with the crappy NFC West, literally the WORST division in football, they actually have a shot at winning a playoff spot with 4 games to go. So instead of playing for the future, he's going to play for the right now. I'm still not so sure Alex Smith is the better "right now" option, but he's the more prototypical QB...Stronger arm anyway. But I agree, I can't see any clear reason Alex Smith gives them a better chance to win than Troy...

This is almost like Philly with Michael Vick/Kevin Kolb. Nobody thought this offseason that Vick was a franchise QB...Up until this year, his strength has been running the ball, maybe throwing short passes while rolling out. Meanwhile, Kolb is the "prototypical" QB with the stronger arm, more apt to step up in the pocket and throw rather than run it. So what happens? Kolb bites it early and Vick runs the offense well enough to win. I'd say the offense under Troy was starting to find some rhythm and he was directing things well. Heck, he was even throwing the ball well. Why risk a QB change NOW, when you could actually make the playoffs?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!