Blog Entries

It is what it is.

I'm not one for day after soul-searching. But I hope that everyone realises that this team is exactly what they've shown themselves to be all season long. People keep talking about defining moments and finding an identity... it's been there for all to see for the whole season but people just didn't want to admit this team simply is what it is. Inconsistent, unable to close out the big game, and they play down to their opponents. Yeah we beat the Jets, but I think by now we all realise that is the exception.

A lot of niggles in the offense throughout the season have been ignored because the team won. Joe is a good QB, but he's maddeningly inconsistent within each game and when he stalls the O stalls. The run game just isn't doing enough because the O-line aren't getting the kind of push they need. The O doesn't even need to play a full game, but an extra quarter would likely have won the three games we lost to contenders. Some games they start cold and don't find their game until the second half, some games they start hot and then fade out in the second half. The inconsistency and failure to capitalise is costing the teams game. Now Cam is the target du jour (deservedly so, to a degree) I hope the O stops getting the free ride they've enjoyed all season. They're due criticism.

As for the D, there are clear issues here too. The failure to make the tackle is quite glaring, even more so last night. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you don't run in like a headless chicken at Rapistberger. We let them get away with too many easy yards by not using proper tackling technique. I thought we'd sorted out the penalty problem, and maybe they have, but last night the players lost their heads and gave up stupid plays. Can't do it. For all the slating of Mattison over the year, I thought the defence was put in positions to succeed last night, and when they kept their heads they did a great job. Aside from one play Suggs showed why he's one of the best in the league, and even on the would-be sack I kinda have to applaud him for knowing that he'd be better off going for the ball.

The Special teams... well the blocking in the return game just isn't good enough, David Reed looks like an explosive guy, but when you've got four or five players bearing down on you it is asking a lot to make them all miss. Cundiff and Koch have pretty much been money, can't blame them.

All said and done, this team just doesn't seem to have the ability to really close out these games. I give credit to Harbs going for it at the end, I thought it was the right call, it's just a shame Joe's form let him down on the play because that was an easy conversion.

I'm going to end on a positive:

I still think we can make noise. Even if we have a squad of boneheads that do dumb things, they're talented boneheads and they're our boneheads. Regardless of their ability to be stupid at times, do you really think there is a team out there that wants to face the Ravens? We may have lost due to our own stupidity and failure to execute, but ask the Steelers if they want to play us again this year. I very much doubt it.

Re: It is what it is.

Why wouldn't the Steelers want to play us again? Unless they have a backup QB in, they win our games...all the time, in the same fashion. Sure, they know they aren't going to blow us out, but come on...the last 5 games against Ben, he has made the plays to win the game...3 times late in absolutely heartbreaking fashion...and the other 2 their defense completely shut the door on us.

If I was a Steeler fan, I'd be pretty darn confident in my ability to beat us...it reminds me of how the Chiefs routinely beat the Raiders at the end of games in the 90's. Raiders would always find ways to lose close games to them.

if we can't score more than 10 points at home in December in a big game we don't deserve to win.
    bring on the wild card. get your tickets to KC!

I'd rather lose wi Flacco than win wi the molester.

ps; Cameron has to go.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Why wouldn't the Steelers want to play us again? Unless they have a backup QB in, they win our games...all the time, in the same fashion. Sure, they know they aren't going to blow us out, but come on...the last 5 games against Ben, he has made the plays to win the game...3 times late in absolutely heartbreaking fashion...and the other 2 their defense completely shut the door on us.

If I was a Steeler fan, I'd be pretty darn confident in my ability to beat us...it reminds me of how the Chiefs routinely beat the Raiders at the end of games in the 90's. Raiders would always find ways to lose close games to them.
    Ben didn't do shit to win that game. He couldn't find the end zone until we gave them the damn ball at the 10 yard line. So sick of hearing how Ben beats us. Their defense is the reason why they win games and was the reason they won last night.

Whatever...we lost.

Again.

With Ben the Steelers QB.

Again.

When Ben doesn't play, we win.

When he does, we lose.

Again, and again, and again....

Blog Entries

That's like saying the Yankees beat the Orioles in the standings every year because Derek Jeter plays on the team...

it's happenstance. In every game between the Steelers and Ravens in the Harbaugh era, the biggest score differential was 9, in a playoff game. EVERY regular season game in that time has been decided by 3 or 4 points. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Peter King posted a stat about this...In the past two years, Ravens have won 2, Steelers have won 2. The Ravens have scored 67 points, the Steelers have scored 67 points. The Ravens have 7 TDs and 6 FGs, the Steelers have 7 TDs and 6 FGs...

Ben Roethlisberger was a Troy Polamalu flinch away from NOT winning that game. Seriously, if Polamalu doesn't time that blitz perfectly and we have an incomplete or a short pass, it's now 3rd and 5 or 3, we likely run the ball for 2, then PUNT the ball to them at the 20 or better. Ben's longest pass of the night was a 28 yarder on a scramble, after which we had a goal line stand.

Look, I'm as crappy feeling about that loss as everyone else. We screwed the pooch with a chance to seal the division....again...has to be the last 3 or 4 times we had that chance, we botch it. But this was no 2007, 38-7 game. We fought our asses off, nearly had it.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

IT IS WHAT IT IS:

1 - The Ravens are InCapable of Closing Out Games. I've been saying this since the Pats game. In this game, it was the Offense leaving points on the field. The Defense, imho, played their derriers off, and our DC deserves kudos for his game plan - well done, Mattison!!

2 - The Ravens have big-time players on Offense - Mason, Boldin, Rice, Heap, etc - yet, they can't seal the deal!

3 - The Ravens are still Not at the Steelers level. Homefield advantage in a December game, playoff atmosphere, and yet Big Ben, broken nose and all, finds a way to get it done. I admire real grit, regardless of the team/player, and, unfortunately, the Steelers are the team which always seems to deliver in the clutch.

4 - Harbs, YOU BROKE THE COLLECTIVE HEART OF THIS FANBASE LAST NIGHT, I AM SORRY TO SAY! No presents under your tree this year!

5 - Wildcard berth, if we are lucky, looms on the horizon once again. Being the realist I am, there may be too many tunnels ahead preventing this team from doing anything substantial this year...again!

6 - Landry Continues to Wiff on Tackles...unload this charlatan next year, and get someone in who Will do the job!

7 - Flacco continues to have brain farts at the most inopportune times, evidence the InExcusable fumble (you need to audible, change-up, or do something to prevent that from happening!), and the dirt ball you threw on the last play of the game.

8 - Harbs, again, YOU BROKE OUR FREAKIN HEARTS LAST NIGHT! It will take a long time to get over this one.

9 - Untimely/Stupid penalties - sign of poor coaching...should not happen at this point in the season, and with so much riding on each game.
    Last edited by ravenjoe; 12-06-2010 at 02:14 PM.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

8. Re: It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Whatever...we lost.

Again.

With Ben the Steelers QB.

Again.

When Ben doesn't play, we win.

When he does, we lose.

Again, and again, and again....
    That's it, that's all there is.

Until the Ravens make big plays in the clutch it'll keep happening.