Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PFT: Texans cut Carr and Davis

I frankly am shocked. Are you telling me they couldn't get any draft picks for either of these guys. Really? What a terrible FO they have. There is a reason why bad teams are consistently bad and good teams tend to bounce back quickly. And for the record I think Carr will be a good QB once he sits behind a real QB for a year or gets into a real offense. And although the numbers don't support it I would rather have him than Boller (but please lets not turn this into Boller vs. Carr). I like what I see when I watch him play.

Article:

TEXANS CUT DAVE AND DOMANICK

A year ago, the Houston Texans passed on quarterback Vince Young and running back Reggie Bush with the first overall pick in the draft because quarterback David Carr and running back Domanick Davis were the franchise's choices at those positions for 2006 and, presumably, beyond.

A year later, none of the four players in question are under contract with the Texans.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Texans have cut Carr and Davis (who is now known as Domanick Williams).

It is, in our view, a stunning turn of events. Carr was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 draft, and Williams/Davis was regarded not long ago as a rising star after rushing for more than 1,000 in each of his first two NFL seasons.

Williams/Davis missed all of the 2006 season due to a knee injury, and Carr was generally ineffective in 2006, despite leading the league for a while in passer rating.

Carr's fate was sealed when the team traded for quarterback Matt Schaub and named him the starter. But the Texans were expected to at least trade him for a low-round draft pick.

The team paid an $8 million option bonus not long after the 2005 season ended to secure the rights to Carr for three more seasons. The decision to keep Carr took them out of the running for Young, a Houston native who won the NFL offensive rookie of the year award and who became the first rookie quarterback to play in a Pro Bowl.

Link: http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Re: PFT: Texans cut Carr and Davis

I read that in the other thread, and was looking at the major sites to see if it was true. It doesn't make any sense to me that they couldn't at least get late rd picks for either of these guys? Why are they in such a hurry, are they signing someone else?

Well, they signed Schaub to a giant deal, but at RB I cant see what they are thinking here.

Lets all take a moment to praise Ozzie for never doing any of this stupid crap.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton

BTW, this is not just a rumor....

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/10083097

The Texans never have had a winning record, and Carr often was the scapegoat. He completed 60 percent of his passes but also threw 65 interceptions and was sacked 249 times in five seasons.
    249 times! WOW! Ya think that might have something to do with throwing all those INTs and losing all those games?:bag: :grbac:
    we aren't just loyal, we are obsessed. and we are violently so. we are baltimore, and we are the epitome of dysfunctionality.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2809870

Yeah..his OL was horrible....we have no room to talk.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Since when did Domanick Davis change his last name to Williams.

Anyway, the Texans are starting looking worse and worse.

Davis is damaged goods and they knew that last year. Still, they passed on Bush.

Now they sign an old Ahman Green and an unproven Schaub to replace Davis and Carr.

Brilliant.

PP

The Texans FO have no idea what they are doing. They are the NFL version of the Orioles.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    The Texans FO have no idea what they are doing. They are the NFL version of the Orioles.
    Agreed.

Let's look at what the Texans have done in the span of a year.

1. Pick up an $8 million option on Carr's contract

2. Draft Mario Williams over both Bush and Young (I said from day one to draft Young)

3. Sign an aging Ahman Green to replace Davis/Williams

4. Trade Two 2nd round picks (this year's 8th in the round and probably even higher next year) and swap 1st rounders this year for Matt Schaub.

5. Sign Schaub to a huge deal. This ties to 4 but I made it separate for the fun of it.

6. Cut Carr and Davis getting zero compensation for either. Not that they had leverage to get anything for either, but if you said a year ago that both would be cut and the team would receive zippo, I would've laughed.

PP

They are the NFL version of the Orioles
    I beg to differ. At least this season, the Os seem to have started to go in the right direction

Brilliant!

Ok, I will ask what every 15 year old snot nose asks on the scout board: ( I cant help myself) would the Ravens have any interest in Davis/Williams? Also why did he change his name? Maybe I would be better off not knowing why....:bag:

Quote Originally Posted by RavensInBrazil View Post
    I beg to differ. At least this season, the Os seem to have started to go in the right direction
    Yeah, right into the toilet, again. Please, let's not insult the Texans by comparing them to that trainwreck called the Orioles. Only the Orioles are that bad.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Just think in 5 seasons the Texans have never had a winning record. In 5 seasons we had won a Super Bowl.

I know we werent an expansion, but we were just as bad as they were when they played their first year.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton