Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you believe it now? (Staley)

A week or two ago I posted that I saw a link where Joe Staley was clocked at 4.7 in the 40. Some questioned that, since Staley is an offensive tackle, not a wideout. I did not recall where I saw it, but I'd say the following is close-enough proof.

L I N K F O L L O W S...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/...-pro-days.html

At Central Michigan's Pro Day, tackle Joe Staley put up a 4.8 in the 40-yard dash, a 32-inch vertical jump, and a 9-foot-9 broad jump. Amazing number for someone weighing in at 6-foot-5 and 305-pounds. One scout said it was the "best all-around workouts I've seen by a big tackle in recent years" and added "that kid (Staley) does not last past the Top-20 picks".
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Re: Do you believe it now? (Staley)

big difference between 4.7 and 4.8

ProFootballTalk says he ran a 4.79, which is a phenominal showing for a lineman. I am not sure we should draft him though. I watch a good amount of college ball, but I never saw any Central Michigan games. I am leary of workout warriors and I just can't support/pimp a player I have never seen with my own eyes.

PFT blurb:

STALEY BLAZES IN PRO DAY

Central Michigan tackle Joe Staley, who was expected to be a star of the scouting combine but who didn't work out due to a hamstring injury, made up for his absence during his Pro Day workout, cranking out a 4.79 in the 40-yard dash.

Heck, he might be able to beat Duce Staley in a footrace. (Unless there was a cake at the finish line.)

Here's the usual disclaimer -- we don't know whether Staley ran on a track, FieldTurf, grass, or hot coals. If he ran on a fast surface, his time will be adjusted upward.

But even with an extra 0.1, it's still a blazing time for a big fella. Heck, there's a chance that USC receiver Dwayne Jarrett won't run the 40 that fast.

Maybe it's just me, but I could care less how fast of a 40 yard dash an offensive lineman runs.

I'm more concerned about his footwork, agility, etc.

If an offensive lineman is having to display his 40 speed during a game it's due to one of two things.

A) He's trying to run down a defender due to an interception.

B) He's running down the field to the endzone to congradulate a teammate for a TD.

I'd imagine the speed would be beneficial getting to the outside for run blocking, etc., but normally he'd be engaged with a defensive lineman or linebacker anyway.

Gimme a lineman that can maul a defender both in run blocking and pass protection that runs an average 40 time for his position.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

40 times are not that important for lineman If you really want to cream your pants over this guy take a look at these numbers

Chris Chester...10 Yrd Dash: 1.68
    .....................20 Yrd Dash: 2.85
    .....................20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.51
    .....................3-Cone Drill: 7.33

Joe Staley.......10 Yrd Dash: 1.64
    .....................20 Yrd Dash: 2.73
    .....................20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.30
    .....................3-Cone Drill: 7.16

Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    A week or two ago I posted that I saw a link where Joe Staley was clocked at 4.7 in the 40. Some questioned that, since Staley is an offensive tackle, not a wideout. I did not recall where I saw it, but I'd say the following is close-enough proof.

L I N K F O L L O W S...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/news/...-pro-days.html

At Central Michigan's Pro Day, tackle Joe Staley put up a 4.8 in the 40-yard dash, a 32-inch vertical jump, and a 9-foot-9 broad jump. Amazing number for someone weighing in at 6-foot-5 and 305-pounds. One scout said it was the "best all-around workouts I've seen by a big tackle in recent years" and added "that kid (Staley) does not last past the Top-20 picks".
    I believed you when you amended the time you were quoting, at the very start you (I think it was you) were saying 4.47, then realised it was 4.7, which is believable and not going to be out of the ordinary for the new breed of tackles starting to come through.

Fanatic is right. Who give a shit about an OT's 40 time. OT isn't a straight-line speed position.

Robert Gallery wowed 'em with his "measurables" too. Look how that turned out.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens0587 View Post
    40 times are not that important for lineman If you really want to cream your pants over this guy take a look at these numbers

Now those are more important and impressive numbers. Those are things OT;s need to do.

The big question:

Will Staley be able to start this year or at minimum be able to come off the bench in an event of a JO or Terry injury and not be utterly worthless?

If the answer is YES, then he's a great pick in my opinion.

If no, then it doesn't seem to fit the MO of drafting players ready to go, or at worst projects that are only a year out. Those year or two out projects would also be late round special teams fliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens0587 View Post

For me to cream my pants, I need a 38C or D

Quote Originally Posted by Rochardrik View Post
    That's a little too much information, Roch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochardrik View Post
    :bag:
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.