Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT: Who would you rather have?

I've been watching the NFL Network's Top 100 players of all time and LT was #61 ahead of Lenny Moore, Tony Dorsett, and Marshall Faulk... Gimme an effing break!!! I didn't see Lenny but I know he revolutionize the RB position used as a receiver. Tony Dorsett was probably the best back I've ever seen with the screen pass. Marshall Faulk was incredible running the ball and especially catching a pass in space (maybe the best ever). Sure LT is good but come one. No way is he better than those 3. Wanna know something else.. All three have won championships while LT has fizzled in the postseason (good game in 2006/7 playoffs against NE, but they LOST). Personally, I think LT is one of the most overrated players I've ever seen in terms of how he is regarded (watched football 1976-onwards). W/O LoNeal, he is just an above average back.

I would take Marshall Faulk over LT, but I don't think LT is at all overrated. His production speaks for itself. And he I believe is one of the few, if not the only, player to catch a TD, run for a TD, and throw a TD in a single game.

And you cannot really compare him to Lenny Moore because it was two different eras of football and running backs played differently. Lenny did things as a receiver too, but not the way LT has.

3. Re: OT: Who would you rather have?

LT has had a good career but in no way is he no 61 all time. Yes Faulk and Dorsett were better players than him.

Re: OT: Who would you rather have?

I tend to prefer players whose impact on how the game was played: that's Lenny Moore and Jim Brown (who should be #1 or #2 on this list behind Unitas).

Lenny Moore once ran backwards into the end zone.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Lenny Moore, aka Spats, and Jim Brown and I've seen them all.

LOL - I swear, the dumb guys that make up these polls and vote on them never heard of
    much less saw the old guys play.

Lenny was drafted as a DB from Penn St where Joe Paterno
    was the QBs coach at the time. During the
    58 Championship Game Lenny was injured in the chest by I think Sam Huff
    on a verocious hit. He told Weeb he couldn't run. Weeb said I still need you
    as a decoy but Lenny said Night Train Lane, DB of the Lions was the only tackler he feared

Says he can still get you a first down.

Maybe not a TD, but a first down.

Of course, Unitas is the one who elevated pro ball to major league status that would pass baseball
    as America's game.

Speaking of Unitas and Jim Brown, they almost became team mates. After Pissburgh cut Unitas in favor
    of Ted Marchibroda-lol, he sent letters out to all the teams. Paul Brown wrote back saying to hang in there
    for a year and he'll sign him then. Browns still had Otto Graham for a year. Brown always kicked himself
    for passing on John.

Hey T- Glad it didn't happen but could you see Unitas and Brown in the same back field with the Terps
    Gary Collins as WR? Collins killed us in the 64 Championship game because the D focused so much on
    Brown. They shut him down but that opened the lanes for Collins 3 TDs. I was there.

WoW.

On a sad note on Night Train, Tom Matte told us at Nest 1 that he died a pauper and his family couldn't
    even afford his funeral expenses. Matte said the old timers around the country chipped in to pay for
    it. They had a fund for such things as players paid out of their pocketts.

Them dudes pioneered the game for today's millionaire players and guys like John, Lenny, Brown and
    Lane could sure play today. He was the CB who loved to run up to the los to take out a player on a snap.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 09-26-2010 at 05:50 AM.

I can't weigh in on Lenny Moore, he is too far out of my viewing "window".

But as to the others, LT is just as god as any. He may have been the "beneficiary" of some great teams and offenses, but he simply put the ball in the endzone at an unprecedented rate. He did it, as stinger mentioned in a variety of ways, but did so Very prolifically.

That said, this list officially became a joke at #93... Larry Allen. That's an embarrassment for EASILY the best player from the Cowboys dynasty and likely the best offensive lineman of all time.

I is truly unfortunate that the guys who make up these polls can ONLY remember players from the Super Bowl/ESPN era. QBs were real football players, took a hit and got back up and into the game.

Lenny Moore, Tony Dorsett...should be WAAAYYYYY ahead of LT. LT is good but....
    Of course this is just my opinion

[QUOTE=usercom;224432 Yes Faulk and Dorsett were better players than him.[/QUOTE]

NOT
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

LT was probably the most devastating defensive player I ever saw. Talk about "revolutionizing the game" – a lot of people, author Michael Lewis included, trace the arms race at Left Tackle back to Lawrence Taylor. I think #63 is way too low to rank him.

I hope you're not talking about some other player. Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor is the only "LT" I know of in football.

Blog Entries

No, Hokie was talking about LaDainian Thomalison-sp, the current NFL runner
    and compared them to past greats - Lenny and Jim Brown.

Lawrence Taylor probably belongs in the top 10 though for doing what you
    said. He changed rushing and blocking forever.

Just ask Joe Theisman.

Tomlinson was a terrific back but I too, would take Faulk and Lenny Moore ahead of him.

I was suprised, in the Top 100 that Mike Webster, Steelers center, was ranked as being a better player than Jonathan Ogden. C'mon, Ogden could have played center better than Webster and Webster couldn't carry Ogdens' jock as a left tackle. I don't care how you compare the two there's no comparison.

Anytime there is a "best" list some picks turn out really bizarre.

If Johnny U. isn't in the top 5 I'll be surprised.

I really like the way this show has interesting presenters: Hines Ward presenting Ed Reed or Mike Brown presenting Marion Motley. I think LT needs to be deducted a few spots for sucking in the playoffs every year and for his team virtually celebrating when he went somewhere else this year.