Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT / Ref Woes

OT / Ref Woes

Looks like the crappy officiating from last season is picking up right where it left off.

Calvin Johnson and Detroit got absolutely butt raped by the officials. I mean that was simply inexcusable.

2. Re: OT / Ref Woes

Here's the Calvin Johnson clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s_EPK9MtJE

Here's a funny video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGX2q_eer1g

Re: OT / Ref Woes

I'm going to rip off a friend of mine who posted this on another board we both post on...he's one of the guys that writes on our blog and is a Lions fan. He couldn't have said it any better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard and read the explanations. I've seen the replay, both in real and slow-motion several times. And I still don't understand it.

A poster at MGoBlog wrote a really great article on how to make videos. You know, the little highlight deals that people paste all over YouTube. I wish I could find it, and if I could I'd link it. The author was a film major or somesuch and he discussed a lot of cinematographic techniques that Hollywood uses to have a conversation with the audience, things like the good guy is always introduced on the left and the bad guy on the right because English speaking audiences read left to right.

Point is though, he discussed believability. These techniques in film have conditioned us to expect certain things, both consciously and subconsciously and when we get things that are incongruent with our expectations, for example the good guy introduced on the right, then we the viewer are discomfited long after the impression, regardless of the explanation.

This play was like that. Every single one of us knows what a catch looks like. We know what a touchdown looks like.

Both hands on ball, foot one down. foot two down. Catch. Touchdown. Let's go drink punch.

This play was exactly like that except some interpretation of an obscure rule said otherwise. Regardless of whether the call on the field was correct, and I'm not sure that it was, it still jarred with the believability of the play. There wasn't even some ambiguity for us to fall back upon. It wasn't 'he broke the plane, he didn't, his second foot came down on the chalk, the ball was slipping in his hands ...' It was none of that. It was catch, one, two, drink punch, oh-wait-a-second.

I'm so used to these kinds of things with the Lions that I don't even have the energy to be outraged.

In my heart, if this was Brady and the Patriots or Peyton and the Colts or Favre and Team Hitler* it would have been ruled a catch, touchdown, punch.

But no, it was Shaun Hill and the Lions so it's okay to blow the dust off The Tome Of Ancient Rules and exhume a narrow interpretation that reverses a game deciding play.

So yeah, I've come to expect it but I still don't understand it.
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

And people believe the Packer's FG vs us in 65 was good, ie, except the
    guy who kicked it and everyone in Bmore.

This has been going on a long time guys.

And people still believe these games aren't scripted.

Sorta like pro wrestling. Even they admitted their game was fake.

And the Ref who missed that call is still making excuses today even with his
    own blog. Steadman's book has a pic of the ball missing the up rights by 5 feet
    with that Ref directly under it and his arms raised.

The game was in double OT with Matte as a 2d string RB converted to QB complete
    with wrist bands and roll outs.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 09-12-2010 at 08:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Hey Houston, I don't care what you say, watch the replay again, Hiney Wart had a hand full of Jersey pulling the opposite direction, That Is A Hold, and it even makes it more obvious when he releases the Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoNo
    Hey Houston, I don't care what you say, watch the replay again, Hiney Wart had a hand full of Jersey pulling the opposite direction, That Is A Hold, and it even makes it more obvious when he releases the Jersey.
    I have. It wasn't a hold. It wasn't even in the neighborhood of hold.

Blog Entries

ahhhh.
    whatever who cares, the Stealers won regardless and nothing is going to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

In my heart, if this was Brady and the Patriots or Peyton and the Colts or Favre and Team Hitler* it would have been ruled a catch, touchdown, punch.

But no, it was Shaun Hill and the Lions so it's okay to blow the dust off The Tome Of Ancient Rules and exhume a narrow interpretation that reverses a game deciding play.
    [/i]
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

I wonder if that guy disagreed with the call?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven
    Calvin Johnson and Detroit got absolutely butt raped by the officials. I mean that was simply inexcusable.
    I hadn't seen that play until I saw it on this thread, and I agree with Houston, that was inexcusable. If that's the rule, that rule needs to be changed.

Another week, another abysmal showing by the refs.

Two just horrible calls give Cincy better field position for two field goals.

While I am never one to blame the refs for a loss (since you should strive to never put yourself in that position), these were the most ill timed bad calls I have seen in quite sometime.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 09-19-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Yeah, they weren't the reason we lost but those two blown calls were just horrendous.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid