What's with the #7?

I think it's ironic that several qb's touted as and picked in the first round and have become NFL bust all wore the #7. You also have Roethlisberger wearing the #7.

Kyle Boller
    Matt Linert
    Byron Leftwhich
    Michael Vick

Even though Kyle started with the #8 because Redman wore #7 he switched to #7 the following year.

Re: What's with the #7?

I think it means nothing. Just a coincidence.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Not sure how long you've watched football, but a lot of QBs wear #7.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

It isn't even a coincidence. I'm sure there are a proportional number of busts at every other QB number. Ryan Leaf was #16, Heath Shuler was #5... I could go on and on; but just sticking to recent history JaMarcus Russell was #2. And say what you will about Ben Rothlisberger - call him a drunk, an idiot, a probable rapist, a classless and horrible human being, but he's also a 2 time Super Bowl champion, SO FAR. Rothlisberger is not a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by RockGod View Post
    I think it's ironic that several qb's touted as and picked in the first round and have become NFL bust all wore the #7. You also have Roethlisberger wearing the #7.

Kyle Boller
    Matt Linert
    Byron Leftwhich
    Michael Vick

Even though Kyle started with the #8 because Redman wore #7 he switched to #7 the following year.

I dunno if I'd really call Mike Vick a bust. He has a solid career record. He may not have the number but he won more games than any other QB's mentioned (Besides Roethlisberger)

Quote Originally Posted by RockGod View Post

Kyle Boller
    Matt Linert
    Byron Leftwhich
    Michael Vick

I take it you were extrememly bored when you started this thread?

All these guys are recent and drafted around the same time. I know there has been other bust with different numbers but the #7 has been popular among recent 1st rd qb's and all of them but 1 has been a bust. Vick imo is the most over hyped qb among them all and people went as far as to claim that he changed the way the qb position was going to be played. Vick became a perennial loser and is backing up an unknown in Philly. His style of play is obsolete because everyone knows all he can do is run with the football and has no ability to read and attack a defense with his arm. Troy Smith was/is a slower version of Vick and that's why he'll never be a starter or even a good backup, it's too easy to stop what they do which isn't much.

It's just an observation on my part that several players drafted around the same time in the same round all chose the same number and never became anything at the NFL level.

Blog Entries

#10 - Kordell Stewart, Troy Smith...

I don't have time to dive into this much, but really, with the way the NFL shapes up, you could make cases for each of the numbers that a QB wears. QBs have such a fickle shelf life, for every guy who makes it as a decent QB, there at least two who never panned out at all, and one of them was expected to.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Troy Smith wasn't a bust. He was a fifth round pick.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid