Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

anybody NOT see this coming?

From CBS Sportsline, " Ben Roethlisberger plans to ask NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to have his suspension reduced from six games to three when he meets with him in New York on Friday. ESPN reports that Roethlisberger will bring team president Arthur J. Rooney with him to the meeting to help sway the commish."

Gee, what a shocker. Wonder who the Steelers play in week 4?

Yet another example of how the NFL caters to certain "media darling" teams, and is astute enough from a business perspective to know that a PIT-BAL matchup WITH Big Ben will generate a larger $hare of the televi$ion market and many more dollar$.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Re: anybody NOT see this coming?

I don't think Goodell will do it. He may reduce it to FOUR games, as he said he MIGHT, months ago. I don't see how he can justify reducing it any less than that, especially since he doesn't HAVE to reduce it at all.

As for our game with them, I don't think it makes a difference who's QBing that game. I think we sweep them this year.

But if Goodell, for whatever reason, does allow him to play Week 4, it will certainly arouse suspicions. It would be in his best interest to not allow it to get to that point.

Blog Entries

From what I've read unconfirmed sources within the NFL have indicated that Goodell has absolutely no intention of reducing the suspension beyond 4 games.

The NFL may or may not cater to media darling teams, but there is no indication that this is one of those times, so I think we can holster the chips on our shoulders and keep them close by for the next slight from the League, real or imagined.

I am one of the biggest complainers of Baltimore getting the shaft all the time but this one is not the media or anybody. This is Ben asking.

Ben has every right to ask but I don't see how Goodell will oblige. He has been pretty tough on everybody. Reducing down to a number of games he has even mentioned sounds nearly impossible.

I think the OP is putting the cart before the horse.

My first reaction when I saw this was to say this is a negotiation tactic designed to get the commish to go for the 4 game suspension -- much like haggling for a lower price on a car, home, etc. Aim way low to get the number you want.

I'd be very surprised if the commish went below 4 games.

Goodell is not going to further reduce the suspension -- but, honestly, I wouldn't mind if he did.

The irony of Big Ben pleading for that extra game, then proceeding to get his ass slapped for sixty minutes would be too rich.

Let him have it commish; I'm all for it!
    Last edited by DVGN; 09-02-2010 at 09:19 AM.
    "You don't adjust. You just dominate."
    -Al Davis

"I'm a machine, jerk!"
    -Ray Lewis

HR..cart may or may not be before the horse. I am NOT one of those who believes that the Ravens repeatedly get the shaft. I AM, however, a firm believer that the NFL caters to certain teams/players (Brady, Manning, Favre, Steelers, Cowboys). For me, past incidents more than make that case.
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Quote Originally Posted by DVGN View Post
    Goodell is not going to reduce the further reduce the suspension -- but, honestly, I wouldn't mind if he did.

The irony of Big Ben pleading for that extra game, then proceeding to get his ass slapped for sixty minutes would be too rich.

Let him have it commish; I'm all for it!
    Yeah, I'd like to see him take the field too. Agree: It ain't gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee414 View Post
    HR..cart may or may not be before the horse. I am NOT one of those who believes that the Ravens repeatedly get the shaft. I AM, however, a firm believer that the NFL caters to certain teams/players (Brady, Manning, Favre, Steelers, Cowboys). For me, past incidents more than make that case.
    But how is the NFL catering to Ben / Steelers?

You do understand this is Ben's people simply asking for a 3 game suspension and that no decision has been made yet?

He will have it reduced to 4 games. The commish is on record saying ben is going over and beyond what he was aske to do.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

11. Re: anybody NOT see this coming?

Give a d*ck-tater an inch, he'll take a mile

NO TO APPEASEMENT.
    Pittsburgh's all rusty, Cincinnati's a jungle, and Cleveland's gone to the dogs.

I respect Goddell and not that POS Taglibue and hope he shows who's boss and stick to his guns and make him serve the full suspension as it was 1st given.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998