Who should be the Ravens' No. 5 WR?

Williams, Reed, Harper or M. Smith?

Please cast your vote up on our home page

Re: Who should be the Ravens' No. 5 WR?

As a 5th round pick I think Reed would have to show a little less than the rest of the returning WRs.

If it was a vote right now and not a competition, then I would say Reed then Harper, but I think Harper will win the comp if given a fair shot with the 1st or 2nd team O. He can get open, all he needed to do was learn to catch and it seems he has.

:T2:

Whomever shows most on ST's... so either Reed or Smith...

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Whomever shows most on ST's... so either Reed or Smith...
    I do not think that has to matter as much as who is the better WR. We should have enough players at other spots like LB, TE and S, that the 5th Wr does not have to be active unless one of the top 4 is hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I do not think that has to matter as much as who is the better WR. We should have enough players at other spots like LB, TE and S, that the 5th Wr does not have to be active unless one of the top 4 is hurt.
    Couldn't disagree more. WR skill has almost nothign to do with it, the 5th WR may not even have a pass thrown his way all season... it would take injurie(S) yes, plural to get on the field on offense. Probably several, especially considering that Dickson and maybe even Pitta would be higher on the WR depth chart at that point...

THe 5th WR is a WR in name only, he will play a part in the ST's game every week.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. WR skill has almost nothign to do with it, the 5th WR may not even have a pass thrown his way all season... it would take injurie(S) yes, plural to get on the field on offense.
    You are missing the point. i think we can keep the 5th WR inactive all together unless there is an injury to the top 4.

In that case we would want him to play WR not just cover kicks or whatever. Most Wrs are not going to do that better than a Cb or S anyway.

You are missing the point. i think we can keep the 5th WR inactive all together unless there is an injury to the top 4.

In that case we would want him to play WR not just cover kicks or whatever. Most Wrs are not going to do that better than a Cb or S anyway.
    Reed might be the returner. IF not, then we might as well keep 4, unless Marcus SMith is deemed more important to ST's then the last of the LBers, CB's and Safeties...

With the 4 deep depth we have, as well as 3 strong at TE... that's all we need.

Might as well PS a guy that will spend all season in jeans and a hoodie...

I haven't seen as much of the practices as many of you, but I voted for D. Reed here. IMO, your No. 5 WR absolutely has to give you something on ST. He obviously needs to be competent when called upon by the offense, but ST is arguably just as important if not more so for this roster spot. Some of your STers need to be speed guys, and I don't see all of those coming from the DBs or TEs (especially with the health issues of our corners). Hard for me to imagine the No. 5 WR on any NFL team not contributing on the ST squads. Barring injuries to other WR's, the No. 5 guy will spend more snaps in the ST role than he will on offense.
    Last edited by trailhiker85; 08-18-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    I haven't seen as much of the practices as many of you, but I voted for D. Reed here. IMO, your No. 5 WR absolutely has to give you something on ST. He obviously needs to be competent when called upon by the offense, but ST is arguably just as important if not more so for this roster spot. Some of your STers need to be speed guys, and I don't see all of those coming from the DBs or TEs (especially with the health issues of our corners). Hard for me to imagine the No. 5 WR on any NFL team not contributing on the ST squads. Barring injuries to other WR's, the No. 5 guy will spend more snaps in the ST role than he will on offense.
    Completely agree, Reed is a guy who also has upside as a WR in the future playing in the slot. I saw D Will out there on ST teams, not sure how well he did but if he can improve to the point where he capable covering kicks then i think he may get the spot. Maybe they'll try to sneak Reed thru waivers and PS him(probably more likely he doesnt get thru then he does but its a possibility).

You have to make 8 of your 53 inactive every week anyway. I do not see why one of those guys could not just be the best 5th WR we have. There should be enough other guys among the 45 actives to handle all the coverage issues, that I really can not see a WR doing better than a S or CB. You have to be able to tackle and shed blocks. You are lucky if your WR can even block or make a tackle without getting hurt.

You have to make 8 of your 53 inactive every week anyway. I do not see why one of those guys could not just be the best 5th WR we have. There should be enough other guys among the 45 actives to handle all the coverage issues, that I really can not see a WR doing better than a S or CB. You have to be able to tackle and shed blocks. You are lucky if your WR can even block or make a tackle without getting hurt.
    Yes, and it's nice when all 53 could and should be players, but a few are hurt, and thus become inactive.

It simply makes much more sense to carry excessive depth in positions that:
    Are injury prone
    Important to the team
    Excessively deep on your particular roster.

WR and our group of thejm wouldn't score high on any of those categories.
    If you don't need the 5th WE for special teams, then yoiu don't need him at all.

You jsut can't paint a picture where it makes sense to keep a guy liek Justin Harper on the roster, when his sole purpose is to sit there and wait until several players in fron tof him get hurt, then MAYBE he will see the field.