Thread: Jameel McClain

1. Jameel McClain

I think this guy deserves his own thread. He's getting all kinds of props at training camp right now, and has apparently beat out the Ellerbe/Gooden/Phillips trio for a starting spot next to Ray.

As a former UDFA at ILB, he will always draw comparisons to Bart Scott in our defense. He seems to be coming on as an explosive weapon in the middle of our defense.

Here's a few excerpts from an article off the Ravens site:

"I knew I belonged [in the pros] the day I came out of my mother's womb," McClain said on Tuesday. "I was born to play this game. I'm born to go out there and hit somebody and play with a high intensity and a lot of rah-rah. So, it's not like I came here wide-eyed, like, 'Man, I don't deserve this.'
    Kind of weird, but okay...

"That's what he is, he's consistent," Harbaugh said. "He's consistent. He's physical between the tackles. He's solid in pass coverage.

"The competition at linebacker has been so good. All those guys are getting better. They're making big strides every day because they're pushing each other. That's the value of competition."

He may not be the thumper that Ellerbe is or the athlete Gooden is, but the guy seems like the whole package at ILB. Add to that, he's an explosive blitzer in a poor-man's-Timmons mold, and I think we have a keeper. It's nice that we didn't spend a draft pick on him too, by the way.

He still has a ton to prove and has to show it to us during games, but he's a guy to be very optimistic about.

Blog Entries

Re: Jameel McClain

I'm still suprised he's lining up as ILB, I always thought he was more an OLB guy in his rookie year.

Yeah, I haven't heard much at ALL about Gooden and Ellerbe, which means I think that McClain looks the part and those guys are just kind've getting by. Also heard Jason Phillips looks pretty good, that would make final cutdown tough...right now, he's a numbers crunch cut.

ILB - Ray, McClain, Ellerbe, Gooden, Ayanbadejo?, Phillips
    OLB - JJ, Suggs, Barnes, Burgess, Jones, Kindle?
    ? means could/will start season on PUP

That's 12 guys vying for spots in the LB corps. We really can't afford to carry any more than 9 or 10. Kindle will open on the PUP, but there's a good chance Ayanbadejo is ready for Week 1. So if you have 11 guys, which 2 do you cut to get to 9?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Honestly, his rookie season when he played OLB and scored the two safeties, I thought he looked awesome. Like a young James Harrison, or something. I was disappointed that he got so few opportunities to hit the field last season. I still don't get why they moved him inside, with Gooden and Ellerbe in the mix.

Add to the article you are quoting from baltimoreravens.com this article from the Sun this morning, he seems like a great person as well. I am rooting for him.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,6770798.story
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Blog Entries

Ok, just to make sure I wasn't being delusional...

http://www.suathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3710

He's a former DE! If he's getting the job done at ILB, props to him, but I'd think we'd want him more as a guy who can shift outside and add to the pass rush.

Than again, Gooden is another guy who could be good as an OLB, dropping into coverage.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

6. Re: Jameel McClain

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Ok, just to make sure I wasn't being delusional...

http://www.suathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3710

He's a former DE! If he's getting the job done at ILB, props to him, but I'd think we'd want him more as a guy who can shift outside and add to the pass rush.

Than again, Gooden is another guy who could be good as an OLB, dropping into coverage.
    I really think Lawrence Timmons is a good comparison for him. Timmons starts at ILB for the Stoolers, but is also second string at both OLB slots. You've gotta love that they had to spend a first-round pick to get Timmons, though.

McClain is apparently great against the run, which is why we would put him inside. He also happens to be good in coverage, which is nice considering Ray Ray's range is not what it used to be. Being an explosive athlete that is pretty good at rushing the passer makes for one heck of a player.

I really liked what Ellerbe did last year, and I see him as better than McClain against the run. If he can add some speed and agility to be better in coverage, he could be a great all around LB too. I think we have a nice mix at LB.

Good, quick cover guys in Gooden and Ayanbadejo. Thumper against the run in Ellerbe. All-around guy in McClain. Phillips is in the mix too. Oh, that Lewis guy is decent as well.

Suggs, JJ, Barnes, Edgar Jones, and Kindle (eventually) at OLB.

We are really going to need one (or more) of Barnes/McClain/Kruger/Jones to step up in a big way getting to the QB. Championship teams have surprise players like these guys step up, and I wouldn't bet against one of that group doing just that.

I am also suprised that he is not still coming off the edge. I think he was moved inside part because of teh depth outside, but also because he is sort of short, but some short guys seem to have a bit of a natural advantage on the edge like Dumerville, Harrison, Woodley or Freeney. Not that McClain looks that good, but he has a natural feel for the edge rush game. He does have a great burst and is willing to take on the Fb early. It seemsed like Bart was constantly blowing up the FB behind the line, and we need a guy like that in the lineup.

:T2:

Also a bit surprised that McClain could start at ILB. I was favorably impressed with Ellerbe last year and figured he had the inside track. But I guess it all goes with training camp and competition. Better to have a surplus of good LBs than a shortage.

This is a nice suprise, I penciled Ellerbe from day 1, and Ellerbe is a good LB so if he is outperforming him to this point that says alot about Mcclain. Cant wait to see him Thursday, reportedly he's been very good in pass coverage as well as inside against the run. I just like to see guys with great work ethic succeed. His natural pass rush ability will help on blitz situations, im just really anxious to see how are pass rush looks as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    Also a bit surprised that McClain could start at ILB. I was favorably impressed with Ellerbe last year and figured he had the inside track. But I guess it all goes with training camp and competition. Better to have a surplus of good LBs than a shortage.
    Yeah, it seems like all of a sudden, out of the blue, McClain goes from afterthought to starter. There wasn't really much said about him at all during OTAs.

And after all of the praise that Ellerbe received this Spring?

I don't know, seems a bit odd to me. I wonder if this is some sort of effort to showcase him for another team that might be interested in one of our LBs?
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap