Blog Entries

Michael McCrary's knees

Reading the recent TC reports, I was wondering where Michael McCrary, who in the offseason said he was going to be in camp working with the DL, was and how his coaching skills looked...

Today, I saw this on The Sun's webpage:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...l_mccrary.html

VERY very sad to hear that the knee problems that caused him to retire are now forcing him out of even COACHING the DL. I've been hoping ever since Rex became the DC that we'd bring McCrary back in as a Defensive Assistant, tracking him to be the eventual DL coach. Hopefully he's able to get the knee replacement surgery and return to coaching...although that's a LOT easier said than done!
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Michael McCrary's knees

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Reading the recent TC reports, I was wondering where Michael McCrary, who in the offseason said he was going to be in camp working with the DL, was and how his coaching skills looked...

Today, I saw this on The Sun's webpage:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...l_mccrary.html

VERY very sad to hear that the knee problems that caused him to retire are now forcing him out of even COACHING the DL. I've been hoping ever since Rex became the DC that we'd bring McCrary back in as a Defensive Assistant, tracking him to be the eventual DL coach. Hopefully he's able to get the knee replacement surgery and return to coaching...although that's a LOT easier said than done!
    I remember reading a story about him a few years back. Apparently he was too young for the knee replacement surgery because they only last about 20 years according to that story. It must be true because this story mentions him saying he will get them when he's over 45.

I wonder if it's one of those cases where he was told that he better stop playing or he would have knee problems the rest of his life and he ignored that advice?

Blog Entries

Could've been...I know he's been an example in a lot of the recent arguments about "older players" being treated better by the NFL post-retirement. He had knee issues around the end of his career, so I'm sure the warning signs were there.

It's just freaky to think about...if that only lasts him 20 years, what's he going to do when he's 65? Confined to a wheelchair until he dies?

And consider his age, he turned 40 in July. To at that young an age be PLANNING for knee replacement surgery (DOUBLE for that matter)...

Just sad, I hope he hangs in there and is doing well enough to keep a living and pay for the medical bills. Just another sad story to hear about how these players' bodies wear down. You think especially about Ed Reed and how his life after football will be...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Unfortunately I know how he feels, luckily Smith and Nephew has just come out with a 30 year replacement knee :o

40 isn't to young to be thinking about knee replacement. I'm 34 and I've known for the past five years I'll have to have it done. It's not to the point I can't coach but thankfully I don't have to coach.:happyanim

If I had known when I was younger how bad my knee would get, would I still suit up and go play football. You damned skippy I would.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

My father in law had knee surgery on one knee so far and he's putting off the second knee because of the pain he was in after the first surgery. He's over 60 and still works in a job where he does a lot of moving so he had to be out of work for about 6 months.

Wink Re: Michael McCrary's knees

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    40 isn't to young to be thinking about knee replacement. I'm 34 and I've known for the past five years I'll have to have it done.
    Climb in the boat, Darb. I was told that I would be entitled to one more round of arthroscopy, then it would be a replacement. However, I think my credit has been used up and I'll be facing the replacement sooner. I'll have to wait until after Ravens season!

Most men I know who have had then swear by them. But I have seen several really struggle for the first couple months after surgery.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

McCrary knew what he was doing to his knees, I can recall the talk about the damage being done the last few years. I have to admit I was hoping he would continue playing but if I could go back and talk to him I would tell him to retire after the Super Bowl.