Blog Entries

Sam Bradford gets $50Mill Guaranteed...

:insane:

And they wonder why vets at the peak of their game are so difficult to get under contracts?

I'm sure there are a ton of escalators and things built into the contract that are based on incentives, but wow...I don't even really know what to say.

I'm glad they are working on figuring out this rookie pay scale thing. It's gotten completely out of hand.

www.profootballtalk.com

The Rams reached agreement on Friday night with quarterback Sam Bradford on a six-year, $78 million contract that reportedly has $50 million guaranteed, according to multiple reports from Jay Glazer at FOX, and the Schefter/Mortensen bus buddies at ESPN. The deal has a max value of $86 million.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Sam Bradford gets $50Mill Guaranteed...

hope he has good health insurance too

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Married_N2_Flock View Post
    hope he has good health insurance too
    :word

However, with 50 Mill in the bank, would you really need any health insurance?

The Rams were kind of stuck doing this deal though.

The one thing they couldn't have happen was a Jamarcus Russell type holdout.

Blog Entries

The Rams were definitely stuck with this type of a deal.

It just kind of sucks for them because the likelihood that he will ever reach the value of that contract is slim.

Picking in the top 10 in the draft is such a risk. It's no wonder most teams are doing all they can to trade out.

I still think the Rams should have taken Suh or McCoy and then gone for Clausen later in the draft...

What makes you think that the Rams had to make this deal? It's a very big increase over what Stafford got last year, another QB taken first overall. The Rams really overpaid -- $50 million guaranteed for a guy who not only hasn't played a single down in the NFL, he didn't even play much his last year in college. Crazy.
    Last edited by highwater; 07-31-2010 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Missed a word (guaranteed)

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    What makes you think that the Rams had to make this deal? It's a very big increase over what Stafford got last year, another QB taken first overall. The Rams really overpaid -- $50 million guaranteed for a guy who not only hasn't played a single down in the NFL, he didn't even play much his last year in college. Crazy.
    What were they supposed to do?

Whether you like Bradford or not they obviously think he will return them to the playoffs. And the last thing you want is to have your franchise QB miss training camp in his rookie year.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Insane and absurd. This contracts for players not playing a down yet is getting more and more out of control. I understand slotting would be good but the longevity of NFL players is shorter than say the NBA but something needs to be done. I agree...no wonder the vets are pissed about these contracts but I guess that got the same treatment as a rookie too.

In the end we end up having to pay. Ticket prices, etc always go up.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

They weren't stuck, they could have simply refused to pay him that ridiculous sort of money! They just gave him more than 20% additional guaranteed money than Stafford got last season. That's asinine.

They just made him number four on the SI Fortunate 50 list, making almost as much as both Manning brothers combined who between them have 181 regular season and 13 playoff wins with two Superbowl rings, and the dude hasn't even played a down of football.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    They weren't stuck, they could have simply refused to pay him that ridiculous sort of money! They just gave him more than 20% additional guaranteed money than Stafford got last season. That's asinine.

They just made him number four on the SI Fortunate 50 list, making almost as much as both Manning brothers combined who between them have 181 regular season and 13 playoff wins with two Superbowl rings, and the dude hasn't even played a down of football.

- C -
    Just further proves that the rookie contracts have gotten out of hand and arguably have been the sole reason for ridiculous vet contracts like Albert Haynesworth and Nnamdi.

The NFL has turned into a "who can get paid the most" league. It seems like there is more competitive nature regarding a player's contract than actually trying to win games.

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

- C -
    There is 50 million reasons the Rams will continue to suck. This "hopefully" average at best QB will bury their team.