Thread: PUP List Rules

PUP List Rules

There are two types of PUP lists.

One is the 'Active PUP' list.

The Active PUP is for players that have some form of injury that will prevent them from starting training camp. If placed on Active PUP, a player can rehab and participate in team meetings but cannot practice.

A player has to be placed on Active PUP before he begins training camp; A player on Active PUP can be removed from the list at any time during camp.

A player on Active PUP counts against the league mandated roster limit (which at this time of year is 80).

And one of the most important rules, a player must be on Active PUP in order to be considered for Reserve PUP. At the end of preseason, if an Active PUP player is still several weeks away from being able to play, the team may place him on Reserve PUP.

Reserve PUP players are not eligible to play for the first six weeks of the season.

Reserve PUP players do not count against the 53 man roster.

Reserve PUP players have a three week window after Week 6 to practice with the team but a roster decision must be made, either to activate to the 53 or to IR the player, within that timeframe.

Also a player who doesn't begin the training camp on Active PUP cannot be placed on Reserve PUP. So if for example Ed Reed didn't start training camp on PUP and then it became obvious that he would not be available for the team for the first 6 weeks, they couldn't place him on that list. They would either be forced to IR him or eat up that roster spot until his return.

Blog Entries

Re: PUP List Rules

Thanks for this...I was getting annoyed with the radio talk show hosts getting the rules wrong.

If a player starts out TC healthy, it's roster or bust for them basically. Which means if there's any doubt, they hit the PUP. I think in year's past, we've seen guys hit the PUP for about a week or two, just to cover in the event they are not able to get it rolling by the start of the season.

My guess would be Washington, Webb, Reed, Walt Harris? all start camp on the PUP.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!