Did the Ravens Draft Two TEs?

I've been reading Football Outsiders 2010 Almanac, and under Ed Dickson's blurb, the idea is floated that Dickson could make a switch to WR because of his excellent route running ability and wiry frame. Has anybody read anything about this? Everything that I've read says that Dickson will be a TE.

Re: Did the Ravens Draft Two TEs?

I recall reading that, but I do not remember whether this was floated by Raven coaches or the media. I would lean toward the latter...

Blog Entries

Pitta and Dickson both have the ability to split out wide...

To give you an idea...Ed Dickson is being compared to Jermichael Finley. Kind've that quick TE that's really just a taller, bulkier WR.

Pitta is probably a little more of a "natural TE". But the coaches are currently labeling both as TEs, so my guess would be that Dickson going to WR is something that would just be explored down the road.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

A TE is just a big WR.

Somewhere this offseason I read where one of the rookie TE's – I forget if it was Pitta or Dickson, but let's say Dickson – was compared to a young Dallas Clark. And that the down the road the Ravens would probably move toward using him split him out wide, most of the time..

I do see Dickson strength as stretching the seams, i think he'll be a matchup nightmare, he's a really smooth athlete for his size but i dont see WR in his future. I do think he'll do alot of splitting out, especially early on. My hope is either he or Pitta becomes at least an adequate blocker in the future. He had a record amount of bench reps for TE's Oregon and Pitta had 27 reps at the combine so from a power staindpoint they should be able to handle it. These guys along with Stallworth are gonna put alot of pressure on opposing safeties.
    Last edited by Carey; 07-19-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I do see Dickson strength as stretching the seams, i think he'll be a matchup nightmare, he's a really smooth athlete for his size but i dont see WR in his future. I do think he'll do alot of splitting out, especially early on. My hope is either he or Pitta becomes at least an adequate blocker in the future. He had a record amount of bench reps for TE's Oregon and Pitta had 27 reps at the combine so from a power staindpoint they should be able to handle it. These guys along with Stallworth are gonna put alot of pressure on opposing safeties.
    If he is not in a 3 point stance next to the T he is a WR. Dickson was always moving around in that spread attack in college. He may be able to in line block, but I doubt he could ever do that as well as he can run routes from the slot.

:T2:

A thought I had was Dickson having to block CBs and Safeties as opposed to D-linemen and LBs if moved to a WR. I thought about him moving to WR on draft day, but he can do a lot of damage from the TE position beating LB's and Safeties. It wouldn't surprise me if this has been talked about by some of the coaches.

I want to say that another TE in the draft that went to Houston I believe may also be making this type of move. Is it Dorin Dickerson that I am thinking about? He ran like a 4.40 and is like 6'3", but had an issue with lateral movements needed to get in and out of cuts. They are coaching him up as well. Here we go...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rin-dickerson/

How nice would it be if the Ravens may have gotten a couple pass catchers for the future in this particular draft. Dickson/Reed at WR and Pitta at TE. Not bad, but waiting until they put the pads on and make it healthy through training camp/preseason.