Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: WNST Pity Party

Re: WNST Pity Party

Quote Originally Posted by Tecumseh
    When Kyle got hurt last season and everybody cheered, I turned to a friend and said; "Now we know where the WNST listeners sit! Since then I have come to find out I wasn't the only person thinking that thought.
    WTF?

Actually, those were people with no clue, kind of like your response.
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"

2. Re: WNST Pity Party

people with no clue = WNST listeners/callers...That's my experience and apparently the experience of others!

Nice "try" ronald!

Quote Originally Posted by Tecumseh
    people with no clue = WNST listeners/callers...That's my experience and apparently the experience of others!

Nice "try" ronald!
    I guess you and the others are just not as experienced as you believe you are.
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"

you certainly have a point about the callers, which are on the same level as the hosts....haha....

My role isn't to defend Nestor and his position on the O's, his "story" that airs every day and his lifestyle, which many of you seem to be attracted to in a weird kind of way. Nestor can defend himself quite well. If you have an issue with him, personally (or professionally), e-mail him through the station's web-site and he will most certainly respond with a personal reply.

My role is identifying stories and/or topical elements within the sports world that I feel are worthy of discussing on the air, either with Terry directly or, as we did today, with listeners who wish to call in and either agree or disagree. I felt, after reading numerous sites and message boards, that people's views of the 9/21 rally were not founded on simple marketing strategies and/or promotional concepts. Most people's views - proven true after reading this thread - are founded on their dislike or personal agenda against Nestor. And while that is certainly well within your rights, it's also well within my rights to question YOUR agenda on the air and wonder out loud if you have any idea how the real world works. This is what we do. We put our finger on the pulse of the sports community and make observations about its behavior. We do the same with the players, regardless of the sport. We watch them play and we make observations.

In the same way you and your friends watch the Ravens and write (or call) something to the effect of, "Kyle Boller sucks...what the hell was Jamal Lewis doing today?...Billick doesn't have a clue...", I do the same thing with you and
    other team related message boards like O's Hangout.Com (example). If you
    author a reply to a 9/21 rally-related thread and I don't think you have the foggiest idea what you're talking about, I'm apt to comment on it and/or reply to that message. That's my right. Just like you have the right to turn the dial or not listen, I have the right to read and comment.

Someone e-mailed me and said they were offended that I called them out on the air today (using their alias or "sign-in name"). Well, what the hell else do I call you? These wrestling-like nicknames that people use to hide their identity makes it easy to post without any real form of accountability and it also serves as the only mechanism for someone like me to refer to you if I choose to do so on the air. So when I read a message board (not just this one, but any board) and determine someone's position is worthy of on-air discussion, I refer to them in the only manner I know how -- by seeing what their log-in name is. Right?

It's funny. I've mentioned this site and O's Hangout and other fan-based message boards and individual posters on a number of occasions and when I applaud the specific writer or the site, I receive a number of e-mails thanking me for "giving us our due". But when I criticize someone's position...all hell breaks loose and the keyboard jabbing begins.

Any of you are welcome to call the show tomorrow morning starting at 6:07 am or any other morning for that matter and provide your thoughts on the air.

DF

My role is identifying stories and/or topical elements within the sports world that I feel are worthy of discussing on the air, either with Terry directly or, as we did today, with listeners who wish to call in and either agree or disagree.

yeah, that Art Sinclair clusterf was a brilliant choice of a story. Talk about agendas....

drew, I agree that many people have issues against WNST which is why they hate the rally. That's a given. But I, on the other hand, don't. I like WNST and listen all the time. I respect what Nestor has done with his life and agree with everything he says on Angelos. I loved when he would come on from time to time and just rip the Orioles. But this moon thing has taken it to another level. I just don't think Nestor understands the way he comes off to a lot of people. I'm sorry but when he constantly talks about back stage passes and hanging out with Rush or whatever, that means nothing to me or anyone else in terms of hating Angelos. I really don't care and it fuels the talk of Nestor's ego dominating this concept. I think I have heard him say 10 times "My [insert various family/friend name here] thought it was so cool I had press passes for [insert various sporting event here]." Thats just Nestor bragging. Congrats - you get press passes.

All I am saying is - let's focus on the task at hand, shall we?

good point Domination...it sends mixed signals....

Birdbrain: How is WNST "interviewing" Art Sinclair any different than the article on Keith Mills published by The Sun? How is having Art Sinclair on the air to tell "his side" of the story any different than Sports Illustrated writing a piece on ex-Twins pitcher Jeff Reardon? Do Art Sinclair, Keith Mills and Jeff Reardon not have a right to tell their side of the story?

Think back to 2000...did Ray Lewis not have a right to tell his side of the story? After all, at one point he was in jail on MURDER charges. Come to find out, of course, Ray actually didn't murder anyone. Didn't Ray have the right to tell his version of the story? How about Jamal Lewis? Did he have a version of his story that was worth hearing?

You don't have to like the stories of Sinclair, Mills, Reardon, etc. You can hear "their side" and still say, "I think you're a scumbag". That's your call. But those people deserve to have a forum to explain themselves. In Art's case, specifically, he was arrested, removed from the air at WCBM and then never heard from again. His arrest was top-of-the-news stuff on local TV and it was a major story in The Sun. Remember that? But when the four initial charges were dropped and he pleaded guilty to one much smaller charge, none of those TV people or The Sun generated a story about how and why that happened. So Art's appearance on WNST was his first chance in over 18 months to tell HIS version of what happened that day. You certainly have the power to believe or not believe what he said.

But those people - Sinclair, Mills, Reardon, Lewis, et al - have the right to explain themselves. I assume most people believe that. Unless you're a Communist...are you?

As for "the rally" and Nestor's "Moon" columns, all I can say is this. Our baseball franchise has been ruined. It's now the laughing stock of the league. There were MAYBE 9,000 people in the stands for last night's game with the Red Sox. National media members are coming into town to do stories on the Yankees and Red Sox - both of whom have played in Baltimore this week - and they are shocked at the collapse of the Orioles franchise, both on and off the field. As a lifelong Baltimore area resident and O's fan, I'm disappointed beyond words at the turn of events that has transpired since this ownership group took control of the team.

If you feel the same way, we are rallying on September 21. We would like to see you there. If, however, you're going to let Nestor's on-air "column" get in the way of the pathetic state of YOUR major league baseball team, then you must not be that concerned about their 10-year implosion.

Drew, one can not, in any fashion, compare what Art did to Millsy. Sorry bro, I can't see letting someone like that tell his side of the story, as if he were wronged somehow. Might as well drop this one Drew. You are too close to the situation to comment objectively.
    On another note, my point originally was that people had issues with Nestor making this thing about himself. People have problems with the rally because of that...Nestor pushing himself into this thing with the 20 minute moons, etc. Again, I don't doubt Nestor has many fans but I don't think you have any inclination the vast numbers who can't stand him. Whether you like it or not, whether you agree with it or not, when people have a genuine distrust and dislike of someone or something, they will not become attached to said thing, no matter how noble or just. The public can be passionate about their sports teams and public figures. That was my whole point from the start. I may not articulate it as well as I might have liked but that is where I see things.

You can't compare what Art Sinclair did (a crime) with what Keith Mills did (a crime)? Really? OK.

My mother died of cancer when I was 24. She was on medication (pain) for two years prior to dying. Had I caught my next door neighbor stealing her pain medication, I'd probably still be in jail, frankly. And Keith is a very good friend of mine. He lived in my neighborhood (ironically) in Glen Burnie for four years in the 1980's. So ask someone whose mom or dad died of cancer if Keith's "crime" is not as significant or heinous as Art's crime.

I don't have a 17-year old daughter, but I'm sure those of you who do think Art's crime was unthinkable. I think that too, and I don't have a daughter.

But Keith and Art both deserved the right to tell their side of the story. Both said they have a sickness. Keith's was a pain-killer addiction, Art's was a sex-addiction. The Sun gave Keith his chance and we gave Art his chance.

As for the rally...don't attend. It's that simple. We'll do your work for you.

If work means having your boss stand up and talk about how many back stage passes he's had for concerts, how many women he's scored, how many athletes haven't been nice to him and how this poor deprived child from Dundalk who didn't like his birth parents or grandparents could "only" go to 40+ baseball games per season, then by all means, do all the work for me.

You guys certainly have a high tolerance for repetition because you and Terry and your boss sound like three broken records.

I wish you luck. I really do. But if you think for a second that your efforts even matter after reading that Press Box interview today, you must be out of your minds. You are way too close to this. But go ahead. Give your $40 per person that you will more than likely spend to protest the very man who will benefit from your money.

You guys crack me up. Your efforts while noble are the equivalent to building a house while using your forehead to drive in the nails. But go ahead....and while your at it, whistle while you work, "It's time for Orioles baseball....."