Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Season Opener Field Conditions

Let's hope they get this fixed before our guys take the field against the Jets. An injury on this field in Week 1 could cripple us out of the gate.

Domenik Hixon's season is over; turf may be to blame
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 16, 2010 2:28 PM ET
    The Giants better hope their first practice at the New Meadowlands Stadium isn't an omen.

Wide receiver Domenik Hixon will miss the 2010 season with a torn ACL suffered on Tuesday. The Giants initially thought Hixon escaped with a minor injury, but an MRI Wednesday afternoon revealed the full damage.

The Giants have to be sick because it appears the team's new FieldTurf is largely responsible. Coach Tom Coughlin, speaking before he knew the extent of Hixon's injury, spoke about breaking the turf in.

"We're aware of it, we're continuing to work with it, we're asking the turf people to take another look at the field and some of the thoughts we had about shoes and such," Coughlin said. "I think it's pretty much new, just because it's new."

Hixon was second in the league in punt return average last year and is the team's best kick returner. He's also the Giants' No. 4 receiver.

And now he's gone for the year, apparently because the playing surface wasn't ready.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...y-be-to-blame/

Re: Season Opener Field Conditions

Concerning to say the least. We should know more plenty before then, though. They'll have two or four pre-season games on it, plus I'm sure plenty of practices.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

I do not think the knee is built for pro football on fieldturf. On grass if you try to cut hard enough to blow out your ACL, you will fall down and there will be a big clump of grass in your cleat and you may sprain an ankle or something. On that sticky turf you foot will stick and the pressure is leveraged up to your knee. Overall there may not be more injuries on turf, but there sure seems to be a lot more non or little contact ACL tears.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I do not think the knee is built for pro football on fieldturf. On grass if you try to cut hard enough to blow out your ACL, you will fall down and there will be a big clump of grass in your cleat and you may sprain an ankle or something. On that sticky turf you foot will stick and the pressure is leveraged up to your knee. Overall there may not be more injuries on turf, but there sure seems to be a lot more non or little contact ACL tears.
    Lets hope the owners agree with this and we can get grass fields at all the outdoor stadiums. I hate watching football on turf.

This argument again? They already said they had a terrible time trying to get the natural grass growing at M&T because of the lack of sunlight the field gets in the winter months. They're not going back to it. And look at that slop they play on at Heinz Field - they can have that in Yinzer town.

Players on natural grass fields are more likely to sustain:

* Neural injuries
    * Ligament injuries
    * Debris injuries

Earlier research by Meyers and Barnhill examined the rate and severity of injuries on FieldTurf brand products versus natural grass [2004]. The 5-year prospective study tracking high school football injuries found that there were “higher incidences of 1- to 2-day time loss injuries, 22+ days time loss injuries, head and neural trauma, and ligament injuries were reported on natural grass.”
    /thread
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    This argument again? They already said they had a terrible time trying to get the natural grass growing at M&T because of the lack of sunlight the field gets in the winter months. They're not going back to it. And look at that slop they play on at Heinz Field - they can have that in Yinzer town.
    They are bringing in a grass surface for the soccer match.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by effo5231 View Post
    /thread
    Problem is, I've seen similar studies that show no distinction between injuries on next-gen turf vs. grass. It comes down to a question of what to believe.

Let's not forget, M&T is sporting a brand new field turf surface this year, which the Ravens have spent a nice chunk of change on. It is likely we will see and "adjustment period" to our new turf as well. Let's hope we can learn from NY/NJ's mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Football is suppose to be muddy and dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by crpravens View Post
    Football is suppose to be muddy and dirty.
    Yea... there's a difference between muddy and "played in actual mud" though.

Personally I want guys like Ray Rice to have perfect traction in all weather, our turf provides that.
    “I already believe I am the best linebacker in the game. Now, I have to show one more thing ? That I am the most dominating, influential person in the game and the best football player to ever put on a pair of cleats.” -Ray Lewis

Overall there may not be more injuries on turf, but there sure seems to be a lot more non or little contact ACL tears.
    I am pretty sure Wes Welker would disagree with you.

I completely disagree with you, I am one who tore both my knees playing on real grass surfaces and know of plenty of people who have also tore knee ligaments on real grass.

The stuff the guys play on now is the best money can buy, have you ever walked on the field at M&T it is far from the turf used 15-20 years ago and now they are getting an even better turf!

I think people think there are more knee tears on the new stuff as the media is always looking for a story and is using new turf as a story, but as someone who has played on both surfaces and the turf I played on is nothing like what the NFL has I would prefer to play on the new turf over legit grass any day.
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim