Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

John Clayton Updates

Clayton said earlier on SC that we are one of the teams interested in Willis Magahee.

Also, the Bills signed G Derrick Dockery to a 7 yr/48.5 million deal with 16 up front.

And the Browns signed G/T Eric Steinbach to a 7 yr/49 million deal with 17.5 up front.

That's Steve Hutchinson money.

Crazy.

PP

Re: John Clayton Updates

That's silly money for Dockery and I've got a feeling that that money for Steinbach is as cover for if Joe Thomas ain't available at #3 for them to take, because let's be honest, Kevin Shaffer is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    That's silly money for Dockery and I've got a feeling that that money for Steinbach is as cover for if Joe Thomas ain't available at #3 for them to take, because let's be honest, Kevin Shaffer is horrible.
    Yea, Detroit is gonna take Thomas IMO.

Clayton was sayin that Steinbach can move over to Tackle. Wonder how that will work out.

This about clinches it that the Browns will take Adrian Peterson at 3.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Also, the Bills signed G Derrick Dockery to a 7 yr/48.5 million deal with 16 up front.

And the Browns signed G/T Eric Steinbach to a 7 yr/49 million deal with 17.5 up front.
    I realize that there are teams with a lot of money to spend, but this is just nuts. These guys are not worth this much up-front money.

No guard is worth that much for my money. Guards you take guys and coach them up, you don't spend tackle money on them. Save the money for the guys who can make the most impact on your line, that's your tackles. The day the Ravens spend tackle money on a guard is the day I get worried about Ozzie, I'm thankful that he's never done that.

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    I realize that there are teams with a lot of money to spend, but this is just nuts. These guys are not worth this much up-front money.
    I agree totally on Dockery. What makes it more curious is Ralph Wilson was bitching the most about the new CBA etc.... and they have a stud CB in Clements who is now a FA. Yet they throw this cake at Dockery? What a joke.

Steinbach on the other hand, is a great player. Yes, huge numbers, but he's damn good.

The market it out of whack because of the enormous amount of room some of the cheap teams had combined with the jump in the cap.

PP

No guard is worth that much for my money. Guards you take guys and coach them up, you don't spend tackle money on them. Save the money for the guys who can make the most impact on your line, that's your tackles. The day the Ravens spend tackle money on a guard is the day I get worried about Ozzie, I'm thankful that he's never done that.
    Yea, but when you go so far the other way (i.e. the amount our current guards make), you sorta get what you pay for.

Believe me, I don't want to spend that money on a guard either, but a little jump here and there would be nice.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Yea, but when you go so far the other way (i.e. the amount our current guards make), you sorta get what you pay for.

Believe me, I don't want to spend that money on a guard either, but a little jump here and there would be nice.

PP
    True but I'd rather underspend and have money left over to spend on an elite tackle to then move my inferior tackles inside than have blown silly money on a guard and be unable to upgrade my tackles.

Steinbach is reportedly getting $23million in the first three years of the contract! Yikes!

Steinbach is reportedly getting $23million in the first three years of the contract! Yikes!
    From the Browns.

Say a prayer for him.

PP

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2786149

"Buffalo on Friday night reached an agreement with four-year veteran Derrick Dockery, who had played his entire career with the Washington Redskins, on a seven-year, $49 million contract, ESPN.com learned.

The total contract equals the deal that "transition" free agent Steve Hutchinson signed with the Minnesota Vikings last year, a league record for a guard. The contract includes $18.5 million in guarantees and will pay Dockery $23 million in the first three seasons."

Ummm, holy shit.

18.5 million guaranteed to a good guard when your premier defensive player (Clements) is an UFA?

Unreal.

PP

FO's just get dumber and dumber.

This just in, Stienbach gets staph infection after tour of Cleveland facility.
    "This year, our attitude when we’re on the field is we’re attacking, we want to put points on the board and then let our defense pin their ears back and have at it."
    -Mark Clayton