Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ravens to take Gresham?

Some have speculated that the name on the Ravens’ draft card that is delivered to Roger Goodell at the podium in Radio City Music Hall on April 22 will be Oklahoma tight end Jermaine Gresham. The pick makes sense but despite the team’s screaming need for depth at the position the bet here is that the Ravens will look beyond Gresham even if he’s still on the board.

Read between the lines

2. Re: Ravens to take Gresham?

I heard the quote about TE in the draft this year where he mentioned that they would be fine with a TE in any round of the draft this year. Seems stupid to take Gresham if they like so many other TE's.

I would much rather DL, CB, or even WR in round 1 than any TE. It's a luxury position, and we just aren't in a position to have that luxury right now.

Re: Ravens to take Gresham?

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    I heard the quote about TE in the draft this year where he mentioned that they would be fine with a TE in any round of the draft this year. Seems stupid to take Gresham if they like so many other TE's.

I would much rather DL, CB, or even WR in round 1 than any TE. It's a luxury position, and we just aren't in a position to have that luxury right now.
    Exactly, The defense needs to get a couple good prospects at CB and DE. Even if they want a more vertical threat at TE and they arent sure they could get one in the late 5th they could use those to trade up a little to get a guy in the 4th. Dont forget about Scheffler, The Broncos still have Daniel Graham and just drafted Quinn in the 2nd rd last year. The writing seems to be on the wall in that situation and i think maybe he could be had for a later round draft pick during the draft.

I guess we've beaten this speculative horse into a bloody pulp on a number of other threads ...still ...I also hope for either DL or CB in the 1st round, and maybe in the 2nd as well. TE is definitely a need, but there are greater needs on defense.

I will actually be pissed if they take Gresham in the 1st round (now if they trade back to get more picks and he's their 1st pick in the 2nd round... not as upset). He is just not that much better (and I'd argue on par) than a TE we can get later in the draft. Our team needs more pass rush so a good skilled pass rushing DE or hybrid OLB/DE is priority 1. Also since Washington and Webb are coming off ACLs, CB is priority 1A

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    I will actually be pissed if they take Gresham in the 1st round (now if they trade back to get more picks and he's their 1st pick in the 2nd round... not as upset). He is just not that much better (and I'd argue on par) than a TE we can get later in the draft. Our team needs more pass rush so a good skilled pass rushing DE or hybrid OLB/DE is priority 1. Also since Washington and Webb are coming off ACLs, CB is priority 1A
    I agree with that, I think Gresham will be a matchup nightmare, he's a good player. He move around fluidly like a WR even tho he's not a flat out burner. He also has great size, i just think we all feel DE and CB have to be addressed. You have to have 3 good corners these days and i think getting a guy like Kyle Wilson to put with Foxworth and Webb would be nice. As well as grabbing Tyson Alualu in the 2nd to put up front would be the way to go. But if they traded down and still got Gresham and a extra pick i could live with that.

If Gresham is clearly the best player on the board at the time of our pick I say we take him or trade back for more picks. It depends on how the various picks are projected to play out in the NFL. If our scouts project Gresham to be a certain future pro bowler and the other players available, don't then we should take him regardless of need at other positions, or trade back for more in the second and third. A tight end like him can really open up the field for the WR's.

The Ravens have been working out some lower round tight end guys so....If he's "even" with other guys available like Kyle Wilson, Jared Odrick etc., then we go more in the direction of need.

I've got a feeling a player no one expected to fall to 25 is going to end up in our laps.

Will #1 Center Maurkice Pouncey be available at 25, with a TE being picked in second round? The TE depth seems much greater, and I am concerned with Birk's age and our lack of depth at C/G. We do not want to worry about Flacco and the O-line. I think waiting one more year is too late for a C.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravcolt View Post
    Will #1 Center Maurkice Pouncey be available at 25, with a TE being picked in second round? The TE depth seems much greater, and I am concerned with Birk's age and our lack of depth at C/G. We do not want to worry about Flacco and the O-line. I think waiting one more year is too late for a C.
    May not mean much, but it seems Pouncey is going to get a look:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...y_html-2010413

I think Pouncey is a guy that could make fans forget about losing some of the great interior OL we have in house now as they come up for contract.

I don't think Gresham is a great value for this team at 25. I think there will be better elsewhere. TE should be an EASY position to fill on day 3. Other areas will not.

Blog Entries

Good point. Not sure about Pouncey being a good value @ 25. Oz could trade down for him. So many mocks have
    Gresham going to us in first round and probably someone in the first.

He said he would be comfortable with any of the TEs in the draft or was that
    a typical smoke screen.

If Wilson is gone, I can see Gresham @ 25 and wouldn't be upset. Like with
    Boldin, it would be getting Pettigrew a year late. Gresham is a better
    receiver than Pettigrew who is a better blocker.

But I'm still praying for Cody at 25 who will go to SD if not here.

Unless Wilson falls.

12. Re: Ravens to take Gresham?

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Good point. Not sure about Pouncey being a good value @ 25. Oz could trade down for him. So many mocks have
    Gresham going to us in first round and probably someone in the first.

He said he would be comfortable with any of the TEs in the draft or was that
    a typical smoke screen.

If Wilson is gone, I can see Gresham @ 25 and wouldn't be upset. Like with
    Boldin, it would be getting Pettigrew a year late. Gresham is a better
    receiver than Pettigrew who is a better blocker.

But I'm still praying for Cody at 25 who will go to SD if not here.

Unless Wilson falls.
    Can you imagine Ngata, Gregg, and Cody on short yardage situations????