Thread: Quinn Gray

Quinn Gray

Quinn Gray is a third string quarterback on the Jacksonville Jaguars. He's going into free agency after refusing to sign a tender because he's tired of waiting for a shot at the starting QB job...which based on practice, pre-season and limited regular season he at the very least deserves.

This is his NFL stat sheet for less than 3 quarters of playing time:

CP/AT YDS PCT.YPA TD INT SK RATING
    21/36 266 58.3 7.39 2 000 02 100.00

He has also rushed 5 times for 27 yards and 2 TD's. I hope somebody up there is paying attention...35 minutes of playing time and 4 touchdowns. Somebody must be paying attention, somewhere. The Jaguars want him back, but Gray wants to at least compete for a starting job. He will somewhere...I hope it's Baltimore.

Gray is 6'3" 246 pounds has speed, quickness, and is a prototypical pocket passer. In the World League in 2003 he started the season second string and ended up guiding Frankfurt to the title while throwing 11 touchdowns, throwing for 1100 yards and a QB rating of 86.1. He's gotten better over the past 3 years, but the Jaguars are going with Leftwiche, and Gray wants a chance before his 30th birthday in May, 2009 of being a starter in the NFL.

I don't post here often, but I'm hoping someone in the Ravens front office gives this guy a chance.
    Last edited by Ptbnl; 02-27-2007 at 11:39 PM.

Re: Quinn Gray

I've seen him play a bit in backup rolls and in pre-season...He's def got game and I would sign him on in FAgency just to let him have McNair ahead of him for a year, then let Boller and Gray beef it out the year after for the Starting Spot
    "IT'S NOT ATTITUDE, I'M JUST THAT GOOD!"

We're talking about a QB that has played 3 Quarters. Team didn't / don't have footage on him. If it was cheap, I'd bring him in, but I wouldn't expect him to be a starter in this league.

I'd like to see him start over a 8-16 game type span, and see if teams figure him out. Then we could get excited or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptbnl View Post
    Quinn Gray is a third string quarterback on the Jacksonville Jaguars. He's going into free agency after refusing to sign a tender because he's tired of waiting for a shot at the starting QB job...which based on practice, pre-season and limited regular season he at the very least deserves..
    Gray will only be a FA if Jax does not offer him a RFA tender. He can not simply refuse the tender and become a FA.

Even if he decided to sit out a year, he wouldn't be a FA next year unless Jax decided to not tender him then (because Jax could tender him again since he would not have to requisite accrued service time necessary to become a UFA).
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I had thought that, but from his comments he is expecting not to be with the club this coming season. The club, however, might have other ideas. He was not a happy camper after Del Rio handed the starting job to Leftwiche. This kid has lit it up in practice for the past couple of years and in the exhibition season has been dominating when he's been given a chance. Playing behind McNair for a year would be perfect because that's who his game most resembles. A lot of us here in Jax have been saying since we first saw the guy he's the best of the 3 QB's...money is playing, not talent.

Here is the quote from the Jacksonville Times Union...

A restricted free agent, Gray expects the Jaguars to extend him a tender offer for 2007.

"But I'm not signing a tender," he said. "I'm going to try to go somewhere else before I sign a tender here. I'm quite sure Jacksonville won't match [an offer from another team]. It doesn't look too bright for me in Jacksonville right now."

Well, that's true that he can solicit offers from other teams, and I guess it remains to be seen whether someone else will make him an offer that Jax wouldn't be willing to match. I'll also be interesting which tender they give him. Since he was an UDFA, Jax would have to offer him the 2nd round tender @ $1.2M to get any compensation for him (the low tender would only allow them to match, but receive no compensation since he was undrafted). If Jax tenders the 2nd round tender, I wouldn't expect anyone to give him an offer sheet, but he still could be traded for less than that.

Obviously, if no one is interested in giving him an offer sheet, then he's going to have no choice but to sign the tender.

Definitely an interesting situation to keep an eye on, pending exactly which tender Jax offers.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap