Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Kruger to join DL rotation

I posted this in the Dwan Edwards thread, but I think it deserves a thread of its own.

During the Ravens' voluntary conditioning program, Kruger said his aim is to stack 10-15 pounds on his 6-foot-4, 260-pound frame to become more of a force in the trenches.

"I just want to play, and I'll do whatever I have to do to get to that point," Kruger said. "With Suggs, we have one of the best in the league playing there. I think the coaches and myself are trying to find different ways to get me on the field, so hopefully this works.

"A lot of it is going to be gaining weight where I can play defensive end. There's been some talk of that, so we'll see what happens. I need to keep my speed and get stronger, but putting on some weight is going to be a definite goal."

Sitting down in the cafeteria at the Ravens' practice facility in Owings Mills, Md., on Tuesday, the massive salad drenched in fixings and ranch dressing represented only one part of the bulking plan.

"Obviously, I'll be eating. But there will be supplements I'll be taking, and our training program is great," Kruger explained. "I was training for the Combine and had workouts last year. This is all going to be new to me.

"But, I think I'll be able to keep the weight up in my shoulders, in my upper body. I'm not the biggest guy at this point anyway, so I should hold it well. I just have to hit my conditioning hard while I do it. I don't want to slow down, or it will be pointless weight."

Kruger could be moving into the role the Ravens originally envisioned when they selected him. At the time, there was talk of Kruger being groomed to eventually replace Trevor Pryce, 34, along the defensive line, but he fell in behind Suggs.
    So if looks like Kruger will be groomed as Pryce's replacement. Is DL still a priority in the draft? More of a priority?
    Last edited by baltimore_hokie; 03-16-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Re: Kruger to join DL rotation

Well I liked Kruger last year. He really wants to work to be a key piece to this team, and I think he can be that piece on the DL.

I think as far as the draft, we could draft a late round or undrafted DE to try to give him some competition, and focus on other areas with the higher picks.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

And now cutting draft picks to keep T-vu makes a lot more sense.
    We probably will be targeting players late, but can't see early unless an Odrick falls badly.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

4. Re: Kruger to join DL rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    And now cutting draft picks to keep T-vu makes a lot more sense.
    We probably will be targeting players late, but can't see early unless an Odrick falls badly.
    But is Odrick going to be much different of a player than Kruger?

I could still see Alualu in the second round, especially considering we lost Edwards AND Bannan.

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    Odrick is listed at 296, Kruger even plus 15 is only 275. I read somewhere that Odrick has been compared to Aaron Smith, stout against the run and servicable rushing the passer.

Clearly though, DE, CB, TE and WR should be our focus (not necessarily in that order).

Odrick's only real problem is playing with leverage, thats a technique issue that can be taught by our coaches, hell he can just watch buddy lee. I also think he can get stronger and a pro strength and conditioning program can help that.

I could still see Alualu in the second round, especially considering we lost Edwards AND Bannan.
    I too am a Tyson Alualu fan. I like him or Jerry Hughes in the 2nd rd. with OSU CB Perrish Cox in the 1st.

8. Re: Kruger to join DL rotation

Quote Originally Posted by "Spats" View Post
    I too am a Tyson Alualu fan. I like him or Jerry Hughes in the 2nd rd. with OSU CB Perrish Cox in the 1st.
    Cox over Wilson/Jackson/McCourty??

In an Eric DeCosta interview after last years draft DeCosta said that one of the things he likes about Krueger is that he has a big frame capable of putting on weight and playing as a tackle or end.

My take on him is that he doesn't have the power to be a killer run stuffer or the power/speed to be an elite pass rusher but he has very good instincts, a great motor and the smarts to be successful as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lap View Post
    In an Eric DeCosta interview after last years draft DeCosta said that one of the things he likes about Krueger is that he has a big frame capable of putting on weight and playing as a tackle or end.

My take on him is that he doesn't have the power to be a killer run stuffer or the power/speed to be an elite pass rusher but he has very good instincts, a great motor and the smarts to be successful as a starter.
    I agree, i think his athleticism is better then expected, he looked more fluid out there at OLB then i thought he would. He's no freak but he should be a force with his hand in the ground on third down, and his motor should make him a guy that can make plays in general.

Guess we are looking at a starting lineup of Ngata,Gregg and Pryce....with Mckinney,Kruger and a draft pick as the primary backups, and Talavou and Divens fighting for time....I know Pryce isnt the same player but he's still good and a guy like Alualu can keep Pryce fresh.

In a 4-3 Odrick is a tackle and Kruger is an end.

12. Re: Kruger to join DL rotation

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    In a 4-3 Odrick is a tackle and Kruger is an end.
    My point was that neither will have that great of an impact on the defense. Ozzie knows what positions to take guys in the first round, and I just don't see a guy like Odrick being worth our selection in the first round.