Post A potential WR sleeper for Ravens in 2010 Draft

He is a 6-foot-3, 200 pounder who racked up 92 catches for 1,407 yards and 15 touchdowns as a sophomore in 2008, before hauling in 84 catches for 1,337 and nine touchdowns in 2009.

Sound like someone the Ravens could use?

Who am I?

Find out HERE

Re: A potential WR sleeper for Ravens in 2010 Draft

I do like Briscoe, cant wait to see him at the combine. Like to see how well he runs routes, i would be happy with him in the 3rd round

I like him, but you have to take those types of numbers with a grain of salt.

Just like it's hard to evaluate these mediocre QB's who put up rediculous numbers in college, the spread offense has made it incredibly hard to project ALL offensive skill players.

Daniel Jeremiah (a former Ravens and Browns scout) said...and it is true...these WR's don't run anything but bubble/slip screens and go routes. You don't see them running comebacks/hitches/outs...some bread and butter NFL routes.

So these guys with Nintendo like numbers, I don't really pay them (numbers) any mind. Mark Clayton is a prime example of a spread offense type WR.

Like Carey, I am interested in seeing how he does at the combine and the reports from his pro day...when he has to actually run all of the WR route tree.

Blog Entries

Wouldn't call him a sleeper necessarily, because he is very well known. I agree with the writer that the 40 time doesn't matter. If there's one thing I'll be probably saying in my grave and beyond is f*** the 40 time (unless it's over 5 or something horrible). At any rate, I think he's probably going to show up faster than whatever they have for him now - he was a speedster when he got to college, and probably lost a little bulking up. That's OK. You need to be bulked up in the NFL. You're not going to get anywhere in the league running a 4.3 40 and weighing 165. Bulk up to 200, accept your slower 40 time, catch the ball, make plays, block. There you go.

My only things with him are hands and agility. Don't know if he catches consistently enough to do what we need him to do, and don't know if his agility translates to playmaking ability at the NFL level - it's hard to say.

He reminds me a little of Hakeem Nicks, who I really liked going into last year's draft, but he's just a little bit less of everything that I thought Nicks was.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    He reminds me a little of Hakeem Nicks, who I really liked going into last year's draft, but he's just a little bit less of everything that I thought Nicks was.
    That's exactly what I was thinking... He's a slower Hakeem Nicks. Those types of receivers are great, and we need one over the coming years with Mason retiring soon and Clayton probably on his way out the door soon as well (and worthless otherwise).

The other guy this sorta reminds me of is Anquan Boldin.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid