Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Is Demaryius Thomas the Ravens' Answer at WR?

Thomas may be the most physically gifted receiver in the draft, and has a chance to eventually be an Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson type player in the NFL. His value will only go up after the combine.

See for yourself:

http://www.pressboxonline.com/blog.cfm?ID=2015

Re: Is Demaryius Thomas the Ravens' Answer at WR?

I think so and have him as the #2 WR on the board, very draftable at #25.

:T2:

I think so, however i am a tiny bit skeptical. I want to see him run at the combine and also see how fluid he is and how he runs routes. I've heard mixed reviews on him and saw a very disappointing scouting on him. Im still for taking him tho for the most part, as far as fit its between him and Lafell for me. Here's that scouting report.....

http://http://www.walterfootball.com...010dthomas.php

what am i missing?why is this guy pimpin pressbox on 24x7's website?

Quote Originally Posted by 73doubledown73 View Post
    He has been for a little while, but he's starting to get lazier with the actual contribution to discussion on the board itself.
    ERIG20, your local draftnik

Signature currently under construction

6. Re: Is Demaryius Thomas the Ravens' Answer at WR?

Quote Originally Posted by 73doubledown73 View Post
    Lol not trying to pimp Pressbox, just looking for a little feedback on the article. I'm a big fan of Thomas and wanted to see what you guys thought. I think he may be a slight reach at 25, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he goes from being a perceived 2nd or 3rd round pick to a mid-late first rounder with a good combine.

7. Re: Is Demaryius Thomas the Ravens' Answer at WR?

He'll probably take a couple years to develop, especially coming out of an offense that didn't really demand much of him as a route runner, but he has as much potential as any receiver in the draft, and I think will eventually be the second best receiver to come out of this class. I also think Dezmon Briscoe is a little bit of a sleeper.

I love the guy at 25 right now even though I just saw a mock that had us passing on him in the 2nd round.

Last year I liked the idea of drafting DHB at #25 knowing it would be a 2 or 3 year wait, but he ran like the wind and went 7th.

Thomas looks much more NFL ready than DHB and is much, much better at finding the ball and snatching it out of the air in traffic because it is almost always way underthrown. He also blocks like he means it.

The combine is going to change everything, but I trust the mocks and big boards built before the combine more most of the time because they are based on football more than workouts.

I can see Thomas turning into the most productive WR from the class right away, even though I would try to trade up to 11 and get Dez Bryant if he is there.

9. Re: Is Demaryius Thomas the Ravens' Answer at WR?

I think Thomas' career will follow a similar path to that of Roddy White. "Experts" would consider him a reach in the late first, but he will develop into a very good, physical WR in a few years. A few guys (Damian Williams, Golden Tate) may go before him, but like Mark Clayton, they will suck.

I'm high on Thomas and am willing to wait a year or two and let him grow with Flacco. Thomas - Mason - Washington - Walter/Harper/D-Will seems good enough for me.

10. Re: Is Demaryius Thomas the Ravens' Answer at WR?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    Last year I liked the idea of drafting DHB at #25 knowing it would be a 2 or 3 year wait, but he ran like the wind and went 7th.
    Why would you admit to that. Did you catch any of the Oakland Raiders' games last season??

Quote Originally Posted by baltimore_hokie View Post
    Why would you admit to that. Did you catch any of the Oakland Raiders' games last season??
    I am not ashamed that I wanted the Ravens to take DHB at 25. At the time that was looked at as a reach and most of the board did not like it or trading the pick for Peppers. The combine and draft come along and DHB goes from a late 2nd who was a reach at 25 to the 7th freaking pick and 1st Wr off the board.

WR and pass rush were the biggest question marks I had going into the year, but the 20 mil in dead money and last capped season rules made it tough to do more than they did.

This year I think we can fill all the holes with the right players and not have to worry as much about the price. Also I think we can draft and build a WR group like the one in SD with what we have now and 2 or 3 guys from this class. That pretty much is the final peice on O, and a double digit sack guy who draws and beats double blocking is what the rest of the young pass rushers need to get off as a group like back in 2006 when Pryce set the pace with 13, such as Peppers.

12. Re: Is Demaryius Thomas the Ravens' Answer at WR?

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I think so, however i am a tiny bit skeptical. I want to see him run at the combine and also see how fluid he is and how he runs routes. I've heard mixed reviews on him and saw a very disappointing scouting on him. Im still for taking him tho for the most part, as far as fit its between him and Lafell for me. Here's that scouting report.....

http://http://www.walterfootball.com...010dthomas.php
    Strengths:
    Very big frame
    Great bulk and strength
    Elite blocker; very physical
    Good hands at LOS to get off jam
    High points football at apex
    Difficult to bring down; strong runner
    Uses body to shield opponents from ball
    Willing to go over the middle

Weaknesses:
    Extremely poor route runner
    Too straight up when going into breaks; doesn't sell
    Struggles to separate
    Below average speed
    Inconsistent hands
    Loses focus
    Lacks deep speed
    Lacks agility
    Unimpressive vision after catch
    Limited upside
    Now, I have some issues with the weaknesses this guy has listed:

Poor route runner / struggles to separate - I haven't watched too much film of him, but he doesn't seem THAT bad to me. He seems to get open plenty to me, beating man coverage regularly.

Lacks deep speed - Huh? I saw him outrun an entire SEC defense, weighing about 40 lbs more than any of the guys he blew past. I think he will dispel this notion at the Combine.

Unimpressive after catch - Again, what?? That's where he's most impressive to me. He's a threat to score every time he gets near the ball, whether it be on a pass, bubble screen, reverse, or whatever.

Limited upside - ?????? His size, speed, performance in an offense that doesn't necessarily provide that many chances make his upside better than Dez Bryant's to me. He's relatively unknown, and to me, that makes him that much more gifted with upside.

Am I looking past something or watching a different guy?