Ravens 2010 Free Agency Primer

The lowdown skinny on the Ravens pending RFA's, UFA's, ERFA's plus the types of tenders available to the RFA's courtesy of 24x7's capologist Brian McFarland.

More here...

Re: Ravens 2010 Free Agency Primer

Thanks.

To me it looks like the Ravens are in great position to pursue the best players on the market without much concern of need.

With 40 guys under contract and another 29 under control, they will have to work hard to get down to 53 without throwing very valuable talent into the street.

:T2:

3. Re: Ravens 2010 Free Agency Primer

I really hope we keep Dwan Edwards. Depth on the DL is vital, and losing him and Bannan would be a huge blow. He was starting to come around at the end of the season, and is a nice player to have on passing downs. We could definitely upgrade at that position, but it would be nice to have Edwards next year to groom the next guy.

Keeping KW and Mason would be nice for the receiver situation. Getting new blood will be important, but those two are solid for now.

I agree about Edwards, i think it would be a shame if we cant bring him back after he finally came into his own. I hope his price tag doesnt get too inflated this offseason. All in all i think we are in good shape. Be interesting to see what decisions they make with Mcgahee and Pryce.

I am pretty sure Edwards is going to get Ovie Mughelli and Tony Pashos type offers. Teams know he is good. Even if they did not watch the tape, they know he took the starting job from Pryce and played like 30 plus snaps a game.

I would let him walk unless it is for mid level money. He is very good vs the run but average at best at getting pressure on the QB. Plenty of times he is the second guy there, and he has improved a ton over the years, but I doubt he has anymore upside and will suddenly become a 5 or 6 sack a season guy.

Talavou looked good. McKinney looked good. Buddy Lee played well. I would not want to let both Edwards and Bannan go elsewhere for mid level to cheap type offers, but if a team is willing to pay them and let them start then it will open up dollars for hte Ravens to spend on bigger needs. The draft is also very deep at DTs that should be better than him.

Is there not a different tender for 1.rounds picks (or second round picks for that matter)??

Seems not rigth that you can give Clayton and Terry a low tender, and you know we will keep them.

When if you give Yanda, Landry, McClain, Gaither and Koch a low tender you know they all will be long gone, and you will basically get less (or similar) value than a first round pick for those five.

Quote Originally Posted by elland View Post
    Is there not a different tender for 1.rounds picks (or second round picks for that matter)??

Seems not rigth that you can give Clayton and Terry a low tender, and you know we will keep them.

When if you give Yanda, Landry, McClain, Gaither and Koch a low tender you know they all will be long gone, and you will basically get less (or similar) value than a first round pick for those five.
    You can match any offer sheet. Do not read too much into what tender is used on what guy. It could mean they want offers or they may want to discourage offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I am pretty sure Edwards is going to get Ovie Mughelli and Tony Pashos type offers. Teams know he is good. Even if they did not watch the tape, they know he took the starting job from Pryce and played like 30 plus snaps a game.

I would let him walk unless it is for mid level money. He is very good vs the run but average at best at getting pressure on the QB. Plenty of times he is the second guy there, and he has improved a ton over the years, but I doubt he has anymore upside and will suddenly become a 5 or 6 sack a season guy.

Talavou looked good. McKinney looked good. Buddy Lee played well. I would not want to let both Edwards and Bannan go elsewhere for mid level to cheap type offers, but if a team is willing to pay them and let them start then it will open up dollars for hte Ravens to spend on bigger needs. The draft is also very deep at DTs that should be better than him.
    Bannan may be the odd man out but then again if Edwards gets a offer to rich for our blood he may be back, I'd take Bannan as a stop gap to a rookie like Tyson Alualu but i think a future lineup of Edwards and Alualu at end and Ngata at the nose is ideal imo