Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

nascar racing down our throats

Is any one else sick and tired, already, of ESPN's effort to cram nascar down our throats? Now, I know, some of you are or may be fans, but I for one, am not. At All. Not one mite. Can't stand it! Don't watch it! Won't! Can't! In typical ESPN fashion, they have crammed it down our throats at every possible occasion. Outside the lines, PTI, Around the horn, NFL live.... everywhere. THEN..... taking off pti and ath to have a DAILY nascar show? Well, I've had it. The money grubbing bastards will not find me in their neilson ratings! I REFUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :insane: :hammer: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag: :bag:
    Last edited by Rochardrik; 02-15-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Re: nascar racing down our throats

NASCAR is also boring as hell....wooo cars going around in an oval all day.

Give me Le Mans, GT3, Formula-1, Fia-GT, Rally-cars

Something that's interesting, takes skill, and actually has new technology. Well, and now, less substantially less cheating.

Be careful it can and will become addicting. It really is more than driving around in circles!
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

alright, there is drafting, fighting with Tony Stewart, everyone hoping...waiting for the massive accident where hopefully no one gets hurt.

I just find it boring.

I couldn't believe they took ATH and PTI off for this Nascar BS. I HATE it.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Paint drying, grass growing, rocks aging and Jello forming. All far far more interesting than nascar "racing"
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

Add me to the list of people who don't get the obsession. It's even worse than soccer or baseball in terms of excitement. It's one of the few "sports" where there's no permanent scoring (inside the confines of one game/match). A home run, a touchdown, a layup, a goal, a strike, an ace, a hole in one... it happens, it gets recorded, it's there for good. Car racing? No matter how much of a lead you build up, it can be wiped out, completely, by something completely outside the competitor's control (any sort of car trouble). How stupid is that?

I get that all races share basically the same "scoreless" property, where nothing that happens matters until someone crosses the finish line. But most watchable races (sprints, horse racing, speed skating, swimming, whatever) go on for a few minutes at most. What's the equivalent to car racing? A marathon! Raise your hand if you want to watch a marathon.

Okay, hands down.

I just don't get the appeal, beyond the stereotypical "go to a stadium and drink beer all day, then get in a fight with your buddies later about who should have won". As if people need an excuse to drink beer all day.

And the defining moment of any race isn't the finish, it's the biggest accident. It's not really comparable to a brawl in other sports, since those don't just happen unintentionally... someone throws the first punch. But in auto racing, a slight mistake can knock a dozen people out of the race and possibly seriously injure or kill them, along with wrecking their vehicle and forcing tons of repairs. Who thought this was a good idea?

I have nothing against NASCAR, but I do resent the typical ESPN over-the-top treatment of it. They didn't care about it at all until they picked it up, but now that they televise it, they can't stop talking about it. They knocked Around the Horn and Pardon the Interuption off the air for TWO WEEKS just so they can jerk off about NASCAR.

A lot of people like it -- that's fine. But I'm not one of them, and I find the recent coverage really annoying. It's yet another example of ESPN going overboard promoting their own product.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Nurse View Post
    Be careful it can and will become addicting. It really is more than driving around in circles!
    No, it will not become addicting. Only more tiresome, more boring, more TASTELESS!!!!!.....:bag: I have defected. I will not watch espn, except for games. And even there they are trying to sneak it in, by use of promos, etc. Espn, the greedy bastards, are ONLY carrying it because they want some of the HUGE money it generates. All of a sudden it is a sport. No, it isn't. No, I'm sorry, it isn't!!!!!!:hammer: :insane:

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    I have nothing against NASCAR, but I do resent the typical ESPN over-the-top treatment of it. They didn't care about it at all until they picked it up, but now that they televise it, they can't stop talking about it. They knocked Around the Horn and Pardon the Interuption off the air for TWO WEEKS just so they can jerk off about NASCAR.

A lot of people like it -- that's fine. But I'm not one of them, and I find the recent coverage really annoying. It's yet another example of ESPN going overboard promoting their own product.
    AMEN! I will not criticize fans of nascar, though I'd like to, but come on, it's a circle jerk, with uninteresting players, boring inaction, and "train wrecks" , just sooooo bad!!!!

So really, most of us are just upset with ESPN...not surprising.

ESPN is all about show and hype over function and quality analysis. Good example? Prime time "B" team. For once I agree with Zimmerman

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ers/index.html

Why are they the "B" team? They're less flashy, but flash doesn't always mean better.

Sure debate NASCAR talk about the cheating, but you can do that on the shows you already have without going over the top...and not everyone wants all NASCAR.

Typical ESPN! They lose the NHL and the league fails to exist, they lose NASCAR a couple of years ago and that league fails to exist. Nobody is better at self-promotion (insert Nestor cracks) than ESPN. Pretty soon Nascar and Poker will have their own ESPN station.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.