Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Nfl.com Mock Draft

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

they have us taking WR Arrelious Benn from Illinois. I don't know much about the guy. does anyone else?

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Re: Nfl.com Mock Draft

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...relious00.html

I just read up on him. He seems A lot like Anquan Boldin. A big physical reciever that will go over the middle to make a catch but he didn't score a lot of TD's in College so it doesnt look like he can really stretch the field but i think he could definatly help us.

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    http://www.fightingillini.com/sports...relious00.html

I just read up on him. He seems A lot like Anquan Boldin. A big physical reciever that will go over the middle to make a catch but he didn't score a lot of TD's in College so it doesnt look like he can really stretch the field but i think he could definatly help us.
    Stats are misleading - I went to Illinois for law school and this kid is a total gamer....and is also originally from the DC area!

It's really not his fault that the QB play at Illinois has been completely wretched the entire time he's been at the school.

He's got the physical tools - the question then is what are the hands like? how good are the routes? Is football the driving interest in his life - will he put in that time? (see Flacco, Oher, Reed, Ray).

I'd be fine with this as our pick.
    Just win baby...

5. Re: Nfl.com Mock Draft

We talked about the WR's in the draft here (at the bottom of the first page):

http://ravens24x7.com/forum/showthre...ght=thomas+%3D

To sum it up, here is how I see the WR prospects that could be first rounders:

Arrelious Benn = Boldin
    Demaryius Thomas = Marshall
    Brandon Lafell = Bowe
    Dez Bryant = Edwards (with hands)
    With that said, Bryant is obviously the best player and will not be around for us. Lafell and Thomas should be, although they won't be the BPA.

I like Benn although some don't. I haven't seen him drop a lot of passes and I know his QB was absolutely horrible...just horrible.

7. Re: Nfl.com Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I like Benn although some don't. I haven't seen him drop a lot of passes and I know his QB was absolutely horrible...just horrible.
    Benn should be good, he's basically a clone of Anquan Boldin. My worry is more about him fitting in here, for what we need, for what our OC prefers, for what this offense lacks. Benn is more of a posession guy, as compared to a few of the others that have more big play ability. Bryant and Thomas have excelled at stretching defenses and are HUGE men.

I believe we need someone more along the lines of Marshall/V-Jax, than a Boldin. That is just an opinion (although look at San Diego's WRs to see proof that Cam agrees with me).

Everyplace I have read about the WR's in the draft actually make Benn out to be one of the faster, if not fastest of those big WR's.

Now these are really estimates as they haven't run any official 40's yet, but most have Benn in the 4.4-4.5 range, Bryant in the 4.55, Lafell 4.5, Damian Williams 4.5 and Demariyous Thomas at 4.6.

I think Thomas is a much better comparison for Boldin.

Everyplace I have read about the WR's in the draft actually make Benn out to be one of the faster, if not fastest of those big WR's.

Now these are really estimates as they haven't run any official 40's yet, but most have Benn in the 4.4-4.5 range, Bryant in the 4.55, Lafell 4.5, Damian Williams 4.5 and Demariyous Thomas at 4.6.

Thomas looks more like T.O., Andre Johnson or Marshall to me. the guy is huge and looks more like a 4.45-4.5 guys than 4.6. He gets real seperation at full speed, and can run hitches, bubbles and breaking stuff, not just verts and slants. I think he will be the best of the bunch, but like Benn played without a real passing game, but he still made a ton of plays and mostly yac, even though he does have the ability to high point the ball on smaller DBs ( they are all smaller).

:T2:

10. Re: Nfl.com Mock Draft

I don't know where you're seeing that. I watched Thomas a few times this year and the guy can fly. Lafell will run slower than Bryant (hence the Bowe comparison), and Damian Williams isn't even in the conversation for me.

There was a play against Georgia where Thomas outran the entire secondary on a bubble screen. You can probably find it on YouTube, I think I watched it on there.

Thomas is 230 lbs, but I think his times will be comparable to the other guys, and I can see his stock soaring at the Combine.

I obviously am biased toward Thomas, but to me he is clearly the type of WR we need for Joe that would be perfect across from Mason.

Here's the Youtube link (the play I was talking about earlier is at around 3:22):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nDhGrYAx5g

The kid is really impressive winning jump balls, and he seems to have a Fitzgerald-esque ability to catch the ball at its highest point. Looks very impressive beating press coverage. Showed the ability to beat man coverage and also settle down and find spaces in zone coverages.

With basically a RB throwing the ball to him, you have to love his production too.

FWIW...I absolutely love Thomas too.

In fact, if I were running the team, I'd let Clayton and Williams go (although thats obviously not happening with Harbs all but garunteeing them back), along with Mason and trade for Marshall, see if I can sign a guy like Kevin Walter and draft Demariyous Thomas in round 2/3.

12. Re: Nfl.com Mock Draft

FWIW...I absolutely love Thomas too.

In fact, if I were running the team, I'd let Clayton and Williams go (although thats obviously not happening with Harbs all but garunteeing them back), along with Mason and trade for Marshall, see if I can sign a guy like Kevin Walter and draft Demariyous Thomas in round 2/3.
    I'd like to hold on to Williams. You just can't teach that ability. If he can get his head on straight for two games, it would be worth tendering him.

Kevin Walter could be a good pickup. He's big and has provided some big plays in his career. He's a nice buy-low reclamation project for Ozzie.

No chance Thomas is around in round 2, let alone 3. He's going to put up some eye-popping numbers at the Combine and be a late first rounder (hopefully us).

And I can't find the 4.60 thing for Thomas other than a Broncos message board?? Heather Dinich (ESPN's ACC football biatch) expects him to run very well and sneak into the first, as well)