Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NFL Network likes the Ravens

After the thread about how ESPN hates us, both Rod Woodson and Big Jamie Dukes just picked us to win tomorrow.

That's in addition to Meshawn and Ditka picking us on ESPN.

So we do get some respect nationally. Not that it makes the blindest bit of diffference to the end result.

Re: NFL Network likes the Ravens

Well if Ditka picked us it's a win. He's on fire this year.

What was funny about the NFL Network picks was that Jamie Dukes said "I LIKE the Colts in this game.........but I have to pick the Ravens".

Rod said "That doesn't even make sense.".

:D

My problem with the national media and ravens coverage has always been that while they are not biased against or for us, they usually have no idea what they are talking about! Its like no one watches Ravens games! I was hearing national praise for Boller as a "good, young quarterback" as late as 2006!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreBrawla View Post
    My problem with the national media and ravens coverage has always been that while they are not biased against or for us, they usually have no idea what they are talking about! Its like no one watches Ravens games!
    ...or, they're all about 3 weeks behind in their team praise or criticism. If there is a glaring weakness, like say, our secondary woes at the beginning of the season, the national media was oblivious about it for 4 or so weeks. When the secondary tightened up, nobody seemed to tell them, and they'd just yammer on and on about it.

Blog Entries

All the guys on PTI (including Jaws) and ATH picked Colts. Not that it means anything.

I just hope the Ravens go out there and prove them wrong. Actually I'd like all the games to fly in the face of what the experts think. I'd like to see Vincent Jackson have a huge game against Revis and the Chargers stop the Jets running game. I'd like us to sack Manning 7 times and hit him many more, and win by running the ball down the Colts' throat without having to use Joe much. I'd like to see the Saints/Cards game be the lowest scoring of the weekend.... so on.

I get bored of the received wisdom, personally, people always assuming things are going to go one way because of box scores or whatever. There may be good cause for plenty of those things, but like someone said it seems like pundits are always weeks late in seeing what people that watch the game see.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    All the guys on PTI (including Jaws) and ATH picked Colts. Not that it means anything.
    Speaking of Around The Horn, I got really pissed off this past Monday watching that show. When they got around to discussing the Ravens/Pats game, they gave absolutely NO credit to the Ravens. All they talked about was "what's wrong with the Patriots" and "Is Tom Brady finished?". No mention of Ray Rice. No mention of how great the Ravens played. Obviously, to them, if we win, it's not because of us, it's because there must be something wrong with the other team.

Fucking douchebags. I don't give a rat's ass if they pick against us. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But at least give us credit when we win, and especially when we win convincingly by total domination.

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreBrawla View Post
    My problem with the national media and ravens coverage has always been that while they are not biased against or for us, they usually have no idea what they are talking about! Its like no one watches Ravens games! I was hearing national praise for Boller as a "good, young quarterback" as late as 2006!
    :word

What gets under my skin is the constant stream of mispronounced and / or incorrect names. This shows me they simply have no clue about the team.

9. Re: NFL Network likes the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    Speaking of Around The Horn, I got really pissed off this past Monday watching that show.
    Well, it's a terrible show. This is a good article which gets a nice slam at Around the Horn in the middle of an article praising PTI.

On "Around the Horn," four sports reporters from around the country appear via satellite and are placed on four screens. Then, with limited prodding from the host, they go around in circles screaming their opinions on various topics and trying to earn arbitrarily assigned points. There's almost no interaction between the panelists both because they aren't in the same room and because nobody seems to be listening to anybody else. It's an intellectual battle royal in which the person who's the most belligerent wins. Several of the regulars on the show have cultivated personalities almost solely built around their absence of substance and their reticence to play well with others. It's telling that even if Kornheiser is prone to wear pointy caps and elf-ears around Christmas, he still retains his dignity more than Denver Post columnist Woody Paige of "Around the Horn," who sacrificed apparently legitimate reportorial bona fides to become an afternoon TV buffoon for ESPN.
    ---

I tend to think that TV personalities' picks of games can be interesting, but for the Ravens it's even less relevant because most of them just don't watch the team enough to have a real feel for them. Of course I've watched the team's every play for about 15 of the 17 games and going into the NE game I thought they were a team with no heart that hadn't won an important game since Week 2 (the two best QBs we beat this year were Philip Rivers and uh, Dennis Dixon), so maybe it doesn't matter how much you watch the team. At least if your skills of observation are as expert as mine.

You guys are too worried about ESPN. Remember they are the team of the Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots, and all things north like that. That's why they grieved the Patriots like that.

NFL Network destroys ESPN in coverage, as you would expect them to being that they are the "NFL Network".

There has always been a strong correlation between the national media liking the Ravens and the Ravens playing poorly....and vice versa. Just look what happened this year after week 3 when the ravens were tops in th epower rankings. I like the negativity...If the Ravens win today, you will see the bandwagon starting to fill up.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    You guys are too worried about ESPN. Remember they are the team of the Yankees, Red Sox, Patriots, and all things north like that. That's why they grieved the Patriots like that.

NFL Network destroys ESPN in coverage, as you would expect them to being that they are the "NFL Network".
    Agreed. But watch out if the Cowboys win another game. NFLN is co-owned by Jerry Jones.