Exclamation UKRaven news update

For anyone passing by, we have reduced to number of members and associate members in the last week. :grbac:

I hate to lose contact with fellow Ravens, but the UKR's is intended for fans who really care - rather than have a passing interest in the team. For this I mean people who are prepared to give emotion to watching the Ravens as well as time and money to the UKR's.:)

For example, most of the members have been to (or are planning to go) a Live Ravens game . This can not be said about the majority of UK based NFL fans.

If you are a passing UK or Europe based fan, feel free to get in touch.
    Cheers
    UKRaven

2. Re: UKRaven news update

must admit, im slightly puzzled by this remarkably parochial attitude and im really interested how exactly you make this sort of decision...

is based on celery intake, or a judgment on Raven commitment - if the latter what on earth qualifies you to do so?

im a reasonably new Raven fan, three seasons. Last year i watched 75% of the games via various mediums and listened to the rest... Next year im moving out B-more for the season. Does that qualify me?

I know in the past that my "Why a Raven" didnt qualify, and i find it bizarre. Surely you should be looking for more fans, not less? It's not very blue-collar, Raven-attituded to have such an exclusive old boys club, is it?

Ultimately i dont really care, it's hardly going to interfere with my support of the boys but it would be nice to share my passion with the few other Ravens fans in this country. But, hey, if this is how you operate maybe it wouldn't...

Re: UKRaven news update

Many questions here, I go with a few.

WE have reduced the number of UKR's (I run the mailing list so its was my job to do it) but the decision was a joint one. This was based on a number of 'contacts' who put no effort in our club. All the contacts I had were emailed proir to removal.

Ravens fan since before day one qualifies me!

If you are who I think you are, then YES you may be qualified now - do get back in touch, and I'll get you on the mailing list. However (as you say) your WAF was not good enough then (that was my decision!).

Its been stated many times over that UKRavens (stated by me and RavenTD in 2002) is intended for 'people who care' and want to put time and effort into making the group better - and not the casual fan. We are always open to new Ravens fans, but we've seen too many fail to live up to this in recent years. There are other Ravens fans who chose not to join us, that is their choice.

Get in touch!

GO Ravens

4. Re: UKRaven news update

thank you, i appreciate your full, and swift, reply. im not completely convinced by it, but i respect your opinion...

im still not sure its physically possible for a WAF to be insufficient. surely a question like this, or "why's the sky blue", requires a factual response and is beyond refute.

anyways, id like to be involved in the community not least so that - touch wood - i can be of use when im out there next year...

This is my first post so hopefully nobody takes any offence......

I've been a UKRaven for a good few years now, don't know exactly how long but I'm sure Dave could confirm that.

I don't know who this other guy is but if Dave has refused your 'WAF' for not having enough passion then thats up to him.

While I've yet to make it accross to a game yet, and likely won't for the next few years (moving away with my girlfriend for the first time so money will be evn tighter) I'm sure Dave and the fellow UKRavens, especially Stockers, know of my passion for our team. My advice to you would be that if you are as passionate as you say you are, and I don't doubt that, then don't give up.

6. Re: UKRaven news update

interesting perspective, and i thank you for the advice. i still just dont see why i need to prove my passion to anyone, especially an unofficial fan club.

it would be great not to feel marooned as UK Raven, which is why i was really excited to find a club of other such people. So you can imagine my disappointment to find the club judgemental and elitist

even if my fanhood was embryonic, wouldnt it be better to help nurture it rather than to turn the cold shoulder?

anyways, cheers for the input, much appreciated.

I think you are getting hung up on semanics here?

Try replacing 'passion' with 'commitment' - we have only asked that people commit to doing something (respond to emails / visit the web-site / come down to the socials etc.) We've seen too many 'first fence fallers' not to be catious about new contacts.

No-one will stop you being a Raven fan. I do not think you got the 'cold shoulder' - more you stopped replying to my emails when I did not accept your WAF at the first attempt. (It took our newest member 9 months to get his done) The WAF is the last thing in FULL membership.

Send me your email through the web-site, as I can not read your PM for some reason!

Onephatnoz - get in touch when you get to Baltimore and we can meet for a pint.

At the behest of The Committee, I may be able to administer an on-the-spot loyalty test, which usually consists of making the applicant run around Broadway Square in Fell's Point, in nothing but a pair of purple socks and Ravens thong, singing the Ravens fight song. You are also permitted to wrap a Union Flag bandana around your head if you so wish.

As well as gaining admittance to UK Ravens, an added benefit is you will likely pull a drunken local girl impressed with your heavily British-accented singing.

Seriously, I've found the UK Ravens a good laugh and seriously unpretentious - you sound like you're a Ravens fan so get on the mailing list. Speaking for myself, provided you're a follower of the team, the more the merrier.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Onephatoz.

We always welcome any Raven fan into our group.Great that you feel so strongly about what has gone before,that you should air such views here.

You have to consider UKRavens point of view.He has put so much effort
    into contacting people,trying to get them involved.Only for those people to
    later snub him.

It was decided that the "Why a fan" would be a test of commitement just to get fans in with us.Its not much to ask,for someone who is deeply into the Ravens.A little bit of time and effort,so all those who read our "Why a fan" can see the purple & black passion that runs through our blood.

You sound you are there,hope you and Dave can sort things out.And hope to read your opinions on whats going on in Ravensland in our group emailings.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Hi Onephatnoz

Glad to hear you are another UKRaven fan and I for one hope you come on board. As has been mentioned already we have spend quiet a bit of effort to get people "signed up" with us then they just disappear off the radar. We decided some time ago to have a core group and bring in others when, under their own iniciative, they get involved with the boards and in e-mail communication. You sound to me like a dedicated fan so please, please join up and join in.

I have sent our new contact a copy of this month's newsletter. This is from the UKRavens Newsletter April 2006, I 've taken out the name for privacy reasons:

I am still in the process of editing ‘W.A.F.?’ as a part of him joining as a full member. Here it is in the raw:

First year at University is a heady time. Excessive drinking followed by studies that literally count for nothing lead to a quasi nocturnal lifestyle. Add to the mixture close proximity of mates, who are as mad or madder, and high speed internet connection and the recipe is set.
    Over the Easter holidays I was back home in Manchester, with a radically altered body clock. So, I indulged myself and became an avid viewer of late night Channel 5- that saviour of insomniacs.
    One favourite quickly emerged, Baseball. And following my return to Nottingham myself and two willing pals decided that we would follow the baseball. However, none of us were the “following” sort- more the manic, passionate, bi-polar sort. So we decided to become massive fans. But of whom? Well after putting all the teams’ names into a hat we drew out our team for the rest of our lives. I give you…the Baltimore Orioles!
    You can see from here a love blossomed, through MLB.tv and things we never the same. Until football came along. So we thought, let’s use the same formula and put all 32 names in the hat. I give you…the Denver Broncos! Hmmm…for fifteen minutes we researched and tried to get excited about Jake Plummer and co. However, eventually we realised all we cared about was when they were going to play a team from Baltimore. This relationship with Denver was never going to work. Since then we have devoted our lives to the Baltimore Ravens. The rest is history!