Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

the dirty little secret about the Colts...

I think they rested their starters midway through the Jets game because they thought they were going to lose. I think they're the guy at the poker game who wins a few big hands early and then wants to call it a night because he "has to wake up early tomorrow to do chores." They had a ton of comeback wins this year, but that's because they fell behind a bunch of teams that they should have beat handily and managed to just squeak it out in the end. They have some really unimpressive wins on their schedule: They beat Jacksonville by 2 and 4, the Texans by 3 and 8, the 49ers by 4, and the Dolphins by 4. Instead of risking a loss to what was regarded as an inferior Jets team, they preferred to say that they didn't try -- implying that if they had tried they certainly would have gone undefeated.

How much pressure are they under? Their coach/GM/ownership made it clear that they had no interest in competing against the Jets at home and they've put it all on winning the Super Bowl. Their fans are infuriated that the team didn't try and the management has made the dubious claim that it won't matter so long as they go on to win the Super Bowl. That's a lot of pressure. How are they going to react in this game if things start going wrong?

The dirty little secret about the Colts is they are not nearly as good as the 2005 team that started 13-0 and lost their first playoff game against the Steelers, the 2006 team that won the Super Bowl, or the 2007 and 2008 teams that choked in the first round against the Chargers. Peyton Manning is still the best in the game, but unlike in year's past they have nothing else going on. Their Run D isn't average like the Patriots, it's BAD. Addai and Brown bring nothing to the table.

There were so many spectacular plays in the New England game, but one part that stood out to me was the drive to end the First Half. Everyone knew the Ravens were going to run the ball 3 times to run out the clock. And they did it. Twice. New England knew it was coming and there was nothing they could do about it. Give me the team that doesn't want to make excuses. Give me the team that doesn't want to cash out and quit early. Give me the team that isn't afraid to say this is what we do, now see if you can stop me. Give me the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Re: the dirty little secret about the Colts...

Amen! Well said!

I just hope we don't get a repeat of a couple years ago, when Indy came into the playoffs with an atrocious D, then suddenly turned into the 85 Bears somehow.

Assuming that doesn't happen, they are very, very vulnerable.

They haven't played well in a month, threw their last two games in the toilet, and they haven't had one 100 yard rusher all year. Not one.

And Manning is a very different QB when he's moving around, or, heaven forbid -- HIT. Poor protection makes Kyle Bollers of us all. Luckily for him, he enjoys unprecedented protection, and as a result, makes unprecedented plays. But I'd love to see what his QB rating is in games where he's hit 5x or more. Just hit; not sacked, hit. I bet it's pretty Boller-like. Manning has a prissy, prickly side to him, and I've seen him lash out at his O-line on the rare occasions I've seen him hit, and it's not cool at all. He's a little bit like Dan Marino in that regard. I give him credit; I think he's more of a man than Tom Brady is. But make no mistake -- he's not one to take a bunch of hits and soldier on, either. He can curl up in a fetal ball too, just like Brady did yesterday.

I don't see Indy getting off to a fast start offensively. Not when they haven't played full speed football in a month. This is similar to a college team playing a bowl game. There will be rust. Can the Ravens capitalize and build themselves an early lead? Does a bear shit in the woods? Did we not all just see yesterdays' game? The Ravens are, and have always been, a radically more dangerous team when playing with a lead. The more one dimensional the opponent gets, the more devastating the Ravens D gets.

The Colts aren't just coming off one bye week, they're coming off THREE. Shoot, man. This is damn near like pre-season for them all over again. After the first series on Saturday night, there's gonna be a few Colts going "oh man, THAT"S what getting hit felt like."

They've had a lotta time to soften up. Once people get soft, it's hard to rally them back to fighting mode. They tend to want to stay soft, get back home, and resume their offseason activities. The Colts are in hibernation mode. The Ravens are in DOMINATION mode. HELL YEAH!!!!!!

3. Re: the dirty little secret about the Colts...

The dirty little secret about the Colts is they are not nearly as good as the 2005 team that started 13-0 and lost their first playoff game against the Steelers, the 2006 team that won the Super Bowl, or the 2007 and 2008 teams that got beat by the Chargers. Peyton Manning is still the best in the game, but unlike in year's past they have nothing else going on. Their Run D isn't average like the Patriots, it's BAD. Addai and Brown bring nothing to the table.
    Small correction.

And Manning is a very different QB when he's moving around, or, heaven forbid -- HIT. Poor protection makes Kyle Bollers of us all. Luckily for him, he enjoys unprecedented protection, and as a result, makes unprecedented plays.
    I disagree with this. His line's good, make no mistake, but it's primarily that Manning reads defenses, calls plays, calls audibles, and on the occasions where the rush gets to him anyway, he gets rid of the damn ball. A sustained rush can lead Manning to occasional bad throws and INTs. As can sneaky actions in the secondary like we should expect to see from a healthy Reed, and getting physical with the receivers.

The Ravens' D has shown that it can keep Manning under 20 points. I think if we do that again Sunday we have a very good chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoravensfan View Post
    I think they rested their starters midway through the Jets game because they thought they were going to lose. I think they're the guy at the poker game who wins a few big hands early and then wants to call it a night because he "has to wake up early tomorrow to do chores." They had a ton of comeback wins this year, but that's because they fell behind a bunch of teams that they should have beat handily and managed to just squeak it out in the end. They have some really unimpressive wins on their schedule: They beat Jacksonville by 2 and 4, the Texans by 3 and 8, the 49ers by 4, and the Dolphins by 4. Instead of risking a loss to what was regarded as an inferior Jets team, they preferred to say that they didn't try -- implying that if they had tried they certainly would have gone undefeated.

How much pressure are they under? Their coach/GM/ownership made it clear that they had no interest in competing against the Jets at home and they've put it all on winning the Super Bowl. Their fans are infuriated that the team didn't try and the management has made the dubious claim that it won't matter so long as they go on to win the Super Bowl. That's a lot of pressure. How are they going to react in this game if things start going wrong?

The dirty little secret about the Colts is they are not nearly as good as the 2005 team that started 13-0 and lost their first playoff game against the Steelers, the 2006 team that won the Super Bowl, or the 2007 and 2008 teams that choked in the first round against the Chargers. Peyton Manning is still the best in the game, but unlike in year's past they have nothing else going on. Their Run D isn't average like the Patriots, it's BAD. Addai and Brown bring nothing to the table.

There were so many spectacular plays in the New England game, but one part that stood out to me was the drive to end the First Half. Everyone knew the Ravens were going to run the ball 3 times to run out the clock. And they did it. Twice. New England knew it was coming and there was nothing they could do about it. Give me the team that doesn't want to make excuses. Give me the team that doesn't want to cash out and quit early. Give me the team that isn't afraid to say this is what we do, now see if you can stop me. Give me the Ravens.
    Yeah cute speech and all- but I dont believe for one second that they were afraid of losing the the Jets. They were WINNING THE GAME! I used to think Peyton had a losing mentality- but not anymore- tho I do think he can be had.

I do think the Ravens will win this Saturday. I do think the Colts are overrated. They DID win a bunch of games this year by the narrowest of margins- but you know what- that's because they've been there- and they KNOW HOW TO WIN. That's something our team still doesn't know how to do- so while I think we will win- I don't expect it to be easy- because when I say know how to win- I mean the close ones...

The Colts would have beaten the Jets no doubt about it. But I do think the psychological toll that loss took on their fans and players will be hard to overcome- and yes- the pressure is now greater than ever before.

Ravens 27
    Colts 19
    "Sorry officer, nothing wrong here. I'm just watching the Ravens game!"

Yes the Colts are just a shell of their old teams , but the Ravens poor personel decisions by Ozzie will once again keep the Ravens from a siper bowl appearance...............the lack luster corners and receivers will show up Saturday night and Ozzie will again get in the way of the Ravens advancing to the super bowl,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ozzie is a joke,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

we can definitely beat them. It will be a lot tougher than the Pats but it can be done.

I actually felt like the Ravens really controlled the game vs Indy and should have won that one even more than any of the others they let get away recently.

They moved the ball all day, did not allow a sack by the DEs or give up a TD. They had 1st and G inside the 3 and still had to settle for a FG. All we needed was a FG in FG range on 1st and 10 and Joe threw the worst INT of his career. Reed blew a final chance with an illegal forward pass (after his knee was down) that was ruled a fumble.

Peyton is playing about as well as I have ever seen any QB play. Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark are incredible. Freeney and Mathis at home make a 4 man rush feel like 6. They play more than just Tampa 2 D now, but other than that, they are not as good as any of the recent Indy teams in my opinion. Peyton has bailed them out a lot more often than usual. They are good, and always a tough matchup, but I do not think they are as good as the Pats or SD this year.

:T2:

Here are two items that will go largely in our favor considering the Colts have "home field advantage."

1-inside with no weather and on turf. We have great team speed defensively, and a great O-line to propel our ground game. This factor will also help Flacco with the passing game.

2-Peyton on Offense. As Ray Lewis did with Brady he will do to Peyton! With that I mean that Ray is a proffesor of the game with his knowledge of players and tendancies. The Oil Dome will be silent for Peyton and Ray will hear every audible...fake or real...and by now Ray knows his opponents better than anyone in the game! He will own this game on defense(!!), and also "educate" his teammates to what is going to happen. Matter of fact Ray Lewis is kinda like Cal Ripken in regards to learning their opponents, Cal knew right where to place himself at SS based on the batter, and Ray knows where to be and what to do based on the QB!

This lame ass crowd will be silent for our defense, and once we blast some offensive fire power, they will be silent for our offense! Anyone want to place bets on when the stands will start to empty???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spy007 View Post
    Yes the Colts are just a shell of their old teams , but the Ravens poor personel decisions by Ozzie will once again keep the Ravens from a siper bowl appearance...............the lack luster corners and receivers will show up Saturday night and Ozzie will again get in the way of the Ravens advancing to the super bowl,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ozzie is a joke,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Go away troll.

10. Re: the dirty little secret about the Colts...

You obviously have no clue about the Ravens, football, or grammar. Perhaps you should check out the forums on the Baltimore Sun's site.

The Colts have virtually had almost a month off...at least the ones that matter: Manning, Wayne, etc.

I don't see how running drills and practicing against the different squads during that time off can get you prepped more than playing out the season. You're going against the damn Baltimore Ravens, one of the most physical teams in all of football.

We demolished Tom Brady and made him look like Kyle Boller out there last Sunday, lets do the same to Peyton Manning. Anything is possible...you just have to want it bad enough and perform when the time calls for it.

The Ravens played the Colts close the last game (except for the Reed fiasco and the Flacco int). Who says we can't do it again, who says we can't win? The experts? Well those same "experts" were the ones that said we'll be thrown flat on our faces against the Patriots...and look what happened there, we tied for the 2nd most points in the first quarter of a playoff game, and then proceeded to beat the snot out of them.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

You sir, are moron.