Cincinnati's NBC advantage

Witht the Cincinnati/NYJ game changed to night, Cincy will know whether or not they can get the 3 seed based on the NE result vs. Houston.

Some possibilities:
    1. NE wins
    2. Denver wins
    3. Bal wins
    4. Pitt wins

In this scenario a Cincinnati win means they play the Ravens (with the Steelers as the 6 seed), a Cincinnati L means they play the Jets (with the Ravens as the 6 seed). I think Cincy would choose the Jets and the ancillary benefits of not tipping their hand and resting some players, especially considering that they can't win the 3 seed.

I'd like to hear some Cincy fans on this one.

Next Possibility:
    1. NE loses (Houston wins)
    2. Denver wins
    3. Baltimore wins
    4. Pitt wins

Now I think Cincy plays hard for the 3 seed and the right to host the Broncos. True, they lost to the Broncos and beat the Ravens twice, but the Broncos 2-7 stretch plus the additional possibility to host the AFCC is too enticing.

Possibility 3:
    1. NE loses (Houston wins)
    2. Denver loses
    3. Baltimore wins
    4. Pitt wins

If they beat the Jets, the Bengals would host the Texans. If they lose, they get the Jets. They might be OK with either, but the 3 seed is awfully nice when the 4 seed (NE) is such a lousy road team.

I thought the fairest thing the league has done in recent years was to move all playoff-meaningful games to 4 PM. Let 2 coronated teams, like Dallas/Philly play at 8 PM.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Cincinnati's NBC advantage

I agree with you, the Dallas-Philly game should be at 8 but it is probable that Fox blocked that.

I think the league should put in the contract the right to schedule the games for purposes of competition. The Jets are getting a cake-walk in with Indy laying down and a very good possibility the Bengals will phone it in as well.

I don't see the Bengals taking out starters especially after what happened yesterday for Indy. In fact, if they have a chance to play the Jets the following week they will probably want to beat them down.

Quote Originally Posted by PigtownHusker View Post
    I don't see the Bengals taking out starters especially after what happened yesterday for Indy. In fact, if they have a chance to play the Jets the following week they will probably want to beat them down.
    I disagree, if you know you are going to play the same team the following week, why would you show anything to them at all? Granted that every team gets tons and tons of tape on on another, but you don't know how a team will match up with one another. Especially if you just lie down and play a vanilla offense and vanilla defense.

Now given all the scenario's above, I do believe cincy would rather play us. Our secondary is like swiss cheese and we have had trouble moving the ball against them. If there is a way they can match up with us, that's what I would do.

Now given all the scenario's above, I do believe cincy would rather play us. Our secondary is like swiss cheese and we have had trouble moving the ball against them. If there is a way they can match up with us, that's what I would do.
    Cincy is going to rest their star players as soon as they can and we would have done the same vs. OAK if we had won yesterday.

The Bengals are not playing well. I am not sure they want to play us. Beating us a third time would be tough. Yeah, the Steelers did it last year but the odds are against them.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

6. Re: Cincinnati's NBC advantage

Las Vegas seems to think that Cincy is not trying to win the game. The spread opened up at Jets -9.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    The Bengals are not playing well. I am not sure they want to play us. Beating us a third time would be tough. Yeah, the Steelers did it last year but the odds are against them.
    I agree with what you are saying and they look really weak right now. Honestly, they did enough early in the season to get by. I do believe we are better than they are today. I would prefer to play them over the Patriots as well (assuming we win, not a sure thing...so knock on wood).

But, what I meant was that our D is a better match up then the Jets D. We do look like Swiss cheese right now and the Jets are a very very good Defense. Next week could be interesting...though I hate the flex game idea. The Bengals will already know what they need to do and will likely lie down and die if they have nothing to play for except a repeat match against the jets.