Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No more scenarios - win and we're in!

Per Hensley blog, Aaron Wilson twitter, and Chris Pika WNST twitter:

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirms win and in for NYJ/Ravens. Elias Sports Bureau also confirmed this.

Its all confirmed. Chill out, and root like hell for a win next week!

Re: No more scenarios - win and we're in!

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy View Post

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello confirms win and in for NYJ/Ravens. Elias Sports Bureau also confirmed this.

Done, and done. And I mean done...
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sephy View Post

Its amazing that NFL.com and ESPN still are not understanding how a three way tiebreaker works and have Denver in front of us. I mean how long have these tiebreaker rules been in effect?

Just win and we will unleash hell in January! (but wait do we deserve this?)

Sephy, I need a couple days to be pissed over today's game and I should be good for Sunday! :D

It's not the scenerio I would like, but what the hell. I'll always take going to the playoffs over not going to the playoffs.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
    2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    4. Strength of victory.
    5. Strength of schedule.
    6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best net points in conference games.
    9. Best net points in all games.
    10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    11. Coin toss.
    Head to head gets us in ahead of the Broncos

I think I may have an explanation - the NFL.com site and CBSsports site show the playoff picture as it would be if it ended today - which goes down to strength of victory in both cases - I believe that if we win, the Jets win and the Broncos win we would be in because in beating Oakland we win the strength of victory (since Oakland has a better record than the Kansas City) (since we would end up with same conference record, the next tie breaker is common games - I am not sure that Broncos, Jets and Ravens had at least four common games, in there are not a minimum of four common games than strength of victory would apply) - so it seems that if we win the tie breakers will be in our favor over the Broncos:happyanim

Blog Entries

CBS sports must have their heads up their asses. They have the Broncos ahead of us, and saying that Denver gets the sixth spot by virtue of strength of victory. Did they completely forget that we have a head-to-head over Denver???
    :grbac:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by golfleaguefrank View Post
    I think I may have an explanation - the NFL.com site and CBSsports site show the playoff picture as it would be if it ended today - which goes down to strength of victory in both cases - I believe that if we win, the Jets win and the Broncos win we would be in because in beating Oakland we win the strength of victory (since Oakland has a better record than the Kansas City) (since we would end up with same conference record, the next tie breaker is common games - I am not sure that Broncos, Jets and Ravens had at least four common games, in there are not a minimum of four common games than strength of victory would apply) - so it seems that if we win the tie breakers will be in our favor over the Broncos:happyanim
    With the head-to-head win over Denver, why would strength of victory come into it??

Please see my previous post (playoff picture is if playoff started today) - plus where there is a three way tie for wild card HTH only applies if one team sweeps or one team loses to both other times (if not HTH), it then goes to best win-tie-loss percentage in common games (must have at least four common games) if still a tie or insufficient common games than it goes to strength of victory - if one of the teams is knocked out or wild card decided in the three team tie breaker than it goes to the two team tiebreaker list for the wildcard

Quote Originally Posted by golfleaguefrank View Post
    I think you're right... If the season ended today the common opponent tiebreaker would not be in effective since there would not be 4 common opponents between the Jets, Broncos, & Ravens yet. Well its a mute point after week 17...

All 9-7 w/ 7-5 Conference record then
    Common Opponents tiebreaker (Pats/Bengals/Colts/Raiders.... Broncos have played all 4... Ravens play Raiders in Wk17, Jets play Bengals in Wk17)
    Jets 4-1, Broncos 3-2, & Ravens 1-4.

Reverts back to 2 team and Ravens over Broncos in HTH

Don't believe any of these if the playoffs ended now links, b/c they dont take in account the entire scenarios.

Correct. All three teams play an AFC team next week. So there will be 4 common games between the Jets, Broncos, and Ravens after next week.

As Sephy pointed out, and I believe was confirmed by the NFL, the three-way tiebreaker would take care of one seed, and that would give the Jets the 5th seed. That leaves 2 teams for the 6th seed, which we would win over Denver.

To clarify - the Ravens, Jets and Broncos have the same overall record therefore there is a threeway tie for the wild card (the CBSsports site is showing what the playoff picture would be IF the playoffs started today - as of today - in the three way tie procedure, HTH only applies if one team sweeps or one team loses to the other teams, in which case if the tiebreaker came to HTH, the losing team would be kicked out that than the other two would go to the two team tiebreaker list, in the case of the one team sweeping that team would become the 5th seed and then the other two would enter the two team tiebreaker list to determine the 6th seed - according the the CBS site no team is kicked out until we reach the strength of victory in which case the Broncos win the strength of victory, they become 5th seed - Ravens and Jets go to the two team tiebreaker which also goes down the list until the strength of victory tie breaker in which we again lose to strength of victory - but next week if we win, even if the Jets and Broncos win, I thinks the Jets would win the strength of victory (beat Cinncinati) and it would be the two team tie breaker with us against the Broncos and we win the HTH which would come into play.

Correction - my result was correct but the path was incorrect - the common games would apply to give Jets the 5th seed and then it would be HTH between the Broncos and Ravens which we would win
    Last edited by golfleaguefrank; 12-27-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: previous post correct