Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

J.O has a vision (Gaither & Oher)

Ogden said in a statement earlier this week that he envisions the team moving Gaither to the Right side and Oher to Left (Blinde Side)

Statement:
    A Potential Switch on the Offensive Line

Former Ravens Pro Bowl offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden told the Baltimore Sun that he can envision left tackle Jared Gaither moving to the right side and rookie right tackle Michael Oher moving to the left in the future.

“I can see them switching because Oher is quicker and they might want to optimize Jared’s size and strength,” said Ogden. “But for right now, this team is at its best when both are playing well at their current positions.”

Re: J.O has a vision (Gaither & Oher)

The problem with that is Gaither is a better pass blocker, and Oher is a better run blocker. You always want your best pass blocker on the blind side.

Blog Entries

Well that is probaly why Micheal is on the right side this year, to improve his technique and work on those issues. They obviously have a lot of confidence in the guy to move him to LT with out a blink when gaither is down. Not taking away from Gaither because he is good, but has been slow at times this year, could be due to injury.

And remember this is not me saying they will move him. J.O must see something, he has only made 10 probowls and is a first ballot HOFer. That doesn't mean the move will happen but it will probably be considered if he is noticing something

Gaither and the rest of the line needs to start jumping the snap count like Oher does.

I am not sure if they will swap them, in fact I doubt it, but it is great to see the 6 man O lines and unbalanced looks with both guys able to line up on either side.

I think those kind of formation games cause more pressure on the D than any other scheme.

DEs and OLBs do not like taking on those jumbo combo blocks (it sucks when it is just a TE or back chipping), and teams do not like to bring the DTs all the way out to the edge to match up.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
    The problem with that is Gaither is a better pass blocker, and Oher is a better run blocker. You always want your best pass blocker on the blind side.
    I would disagree, I think Oher is better overall tackle and has played the LT position just as good as Gaither if not better in his turns at the position.

I would not be surprised if this move happens next year or we let Gaither go to free up money and move someone else to RT.
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Blog Entries

I would like to keep Gaither in the mix, and i don't see us getting rid of him, especially after all of the hype when we got Oher about having bookends for years to come.
    Either way we have 2 good tackles. Time will tell if they make a move, but I am comfortable with Gaither or Oher at either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayvens52 View Post
    I would disagree, I think Oher is better overall tackle and has played the LT position just as good as Gaither if not better in his turns at the position.

I would not be surprised if this move happens next year or we let Gaither go to free up money and move someone else to RT.
    I am a big fan of Oher, and think he would make a great LT, but I have not seen him do what I have seen Gaither do, dominate a probowl DE or OLB. Gaither has had some bad games this year and last year, but he also had a very long stretch of blindside protection vs all pro rushers last year and some this year. He made Freeney and Dumerville disapear after he came back from injury. I have to put the GB performance on the injury that kept him out last week, and does not take away the shut outs of Harrison, Ware, Williams, Cole, Dumerville, Freeney and the beatdown of Vandenboch.

If Gaither was going to be a real free agent, the Ravens would not likley match what he would be offered, but he is going to be a RFA and maybe a franchise tag guy before they let that happen, unless he takes an extension before all that.

:T2:

Blog Entries

Like I said in the previous post. DeCosta was way to excited about drafting Oher and talking about having bookends for years to come. I don't see Gaither going anywhere and he might want some money but the injuries and the few games were he didn't show up might effect him getting a big pay day. I see more of a small contract (year wise) for him to get healthy and prove he can dominate every game and be consistant. He is still not a pro bowl caliber Tackle that will also help keep the brinks truck parked.

Blog Entries

No way are we letting Gaither go. What would it cost to replace him? As much as or more than it would cost to keep him. And that's assuming someone who fits that description even comes available. Not many who would. So... I think it's safe to say we'll keep him, no matter which side of the line he ultimately ends up on.

We'll never know what a guy like Peyton Manning would have for numbers if he played behind the O-line Kyle Boller had. But I do know that when you can stand there like a statue all game long and never get touched, you'll have better stats than you would if you were being blasted every other play.

We might be able to look at Tom Brady as an example -- he is not quite getting the protection he got during his big season a few years back, when he, like Manning, could stand around for 7-8 seconds, survey the field, and make any throw he wanted without concern about being hit. His numbers are down, the offense isn't scoring as much, etc.

I'd rather have the greatest O-line in football than any other single thing. A great O-line can make pro bowlers out of mediocre "skill" players, and make Hall of Famers out of mere pro bowlers. OTOH, a bad o line can turn a HOF'er into an average joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayvens52 View Post

This proves different peopel see different things, besides a poor game against GB, it is my opinion that Gaither has completely owned the LT position in Bmore this season. Oher has been admirable in replacing him, and clearly capable, btu gaither simply made it all look MUCH easier. His long arms keep defenders away and make it look easy, Oher always lets the guys come into his body.

Blog Entries

We could also see if Gaither is re-signed as a RFA, Cousins gets more reps next year and is groomed to step in as a RT starter the year after.

If we see them swap, it'd be next year, definitley not midseason.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Question Re: J.O has a vision (Gaither & Oher)

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    We could also see if Gaither is re-signed as a RFA
    Assuming an uncapped season (which looks increasingly likely), don't the current RFA rules change? IIRC something along these lines from the Troy Smith vs. Beck discussions awhile back.

Is there a smart person out there who can explain this?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).